American Telecaster Plus review by Fender

Fender: American Telecaster Plus

Purchased from: Combined Auctions

I've been playng for nearly 11 years, and I also own a Clapton Signature Strat (US) and a '67 Reissue Les Paul Custom Gibson. Keeping that in mind, I believe that this Fender is the best electric guitar I own. Mainly playing rock/metal/funk styles, this seems to be able to adhere to whatever style I play. I'm probably not doing it justice running it through two Marshall 8080 Valvestate amps (running in parallel so I get one with high, one low), however the Marshall distortion really is used to the full potential with this guitar. The fact that this guitar can go from a chunky Rhythm riff, to a screaming solo with the flick of a Switch leaves me stunned every time I play. It does pick up ambient noises, due to the Lace pickups I think, however that said the Gibson does as well. On the middle position f the Switch it has a bluesy no word of a lie almost a Gibson like sound to it. On the rear pickup it sounds meaty, and even on the clean channel sounds sparkling (which as we all know Marshall clean isn't really anything to be admired). The front pickup sounds wonderful especiually on clean. However where this guitar really shines is on the flat out overdriven sound. With the gain cranked to 20, and the countour up about 3 o'clock, this guitar will sing it's head off in a solo or in a rhythm riff, you know it's this guitar when you hear it.

Overall, with the style of music that I play, this guitar bonds and mates with it no problems at all. It is the perfect match for any style of music that you would wish to play. As I mentioned, I own a Clapton Strat, and the Les Paul Custom (which is a Gibson, not an Epiphone), and I have been playing for nearly 11 years. This guitar is the best I own, and I assume it always will be. I'm also currently building a guitar, and even that may not beat 'Old Bluey'. If this guitar were stolen, I'd make every effort to find it again. I wouldn't give it up. The sound, the build quality of the guitar is just the best I've seen, and heard, and perhaps the only thing I wish that it had over what it has was a Piezio Bridge (so I can play acoustic as well! ). Overall, it's the best guitar on the face of the earth, and I make no apologies for my rating of this guitar with a pure 100% 10/10. and really for $1100 (AUD), it was a steal. So a job well done Fender, and if you can find one of these, plug it in and have a go. I Dare You. Only if you have the money to buy it though, because no word of a lie you will play it and buy it. It is that good.

I do gig around this this guitar, and it will withstand live playing and in the studio (as I have done both). The hardware is still sompletely new looking (especially when I polish it) the strap buttons are solid as they come, and I would definately use in all the time except for the fact that I need two different tunings so I can't (bugger). There has been no wear in the finish (unlike the Gibson which has a big wear mark at the top of the guitar).

I can't comment on the action from the factory as I bought it second hand, however I can say that I drop tune it into D, so that I get nice bending action going on. The action as it stands today is extreemly good, and exactly how I like it. The pickups are adjusted perfectly, and the guitar it 100% in mint condition, no flaws with the exception of the jack being a little loose, but nothing major as it doesn't affect the wires or the sound (I've checked this out). All the controls are still in 100% working order. everything about this guitar is still as if it had just left the factory yesterday.

This is the last of the Telecaster Plus models, 1995, and it's a US Tele. It's got 22 frets, rosewood fretboard with thin frets on it. Solid topped with a (what I'm told is very rare) Blueburst finish. String-through body style bridge with 2 Lace sensor pickups (blue single at the front, two linked red on the back forming a humbucker). Came with a hardcase and a few little stickers etc. Got a tone and volume knobs, 3-way selector switch and another switch for turning the humbucker into a single coild at the back.