Billy Corgan Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Billy Corgan Stratocaster

Purchased from: Ebay

My style of music is just about everything which is exactly why I chose this guitar. If I were to narrow it down to what I play the most it would be Grunge and Metal. I play this through a Fender G-DEC 30 and a Fender Frontman 212(yes I know they aren't great amps)and I play it through a DigiTech RP500 (multi-effects, yes I know). However I have played this through one of my friend's rig and he own a Mesa Boogie. Billy Corgan designed this thing to play everything because the Pumpkins have gone through so many music genres. I can really shred on this thing its got more metal than any other Strat I've played (I've played a dave murray Strat). The cleans can be crystal clear as if I had Lace sensors in it too. The BC-1 one has got a really nice full sound to it with a great bass edge. Lots of Pink Floyd is played on this pickup. The Chopper is the hottest pickup on the guitar and gives me the perfect Grunge distortion. Also gives a great AIC sound. The BC-2 is the brightest pickup the is great for any punk rock or sonic youth stuff. Noisy? the BC-1 give give a little extra feedback but mostly no noise. No tremolo makes it a little less versatile, but in exchange for the sustain its worth it.

I play anything from Zeppelin to Megadeth. I don't regret buying this guitar one bit. If stolen or lost I think I might have to get it again because it is perfect. I love the hard tail bridge much more than the tremelo. I find the 70s large headstock much more appealing than the Standard one too. I thought of buying a Gibson Flying V and Charvel San Dimas before this one but this one was the beter choice. Only thing I don't like is that its Billy Corgan's sig Strat. I usually try to avoid signature models but this guitar had it all. Thankyou Fender and Billy COrgan for making this great guitar. Sorry if my review sucked.

This guitar easilsy will withstand live playing and stainless steel hardware wont be wearing any time soon. Strap button were good but I put a DiMarzio clip lock strap on it just like I do on all my guitars. The finish is great but with enough gigging is sure to wear(hey thats how I like it anyway). The guitars durable enough but still wouldn't gig with a backup though because I need more than one guitar for different tunings.

The action was perfect for me when I got it. A little bit low is how I like it. Pickups, bridge, hardware, and everything were in place just fine. Intonation was off though but I fixed that...

Let me start by saying this is my first review, but I'm not going to say 9-10 on everthing unless I truly believe it. This is Billy Corgan's signature Strat, USA made in 2008. It has 22 jumbo frets on a 25.5 scale 70s styled C-shaped maple neck. It has a soft alder body Satin Nitrocellulose Laquer. The bridge is a string-thru hard tail bridge instead of the usual Fender tremelo. The pikups are passive DiMarzio Strat pickups designed by Corgan himself. The neck is the BC-1 based of the air norton. Middle pickup is a DiMarzio Chopper. Bridge is a BC-2 bad off the tone zone. Standard Strat controls. Great Fender tuners that have never yet gone out of tune.

legallydead
    You're kidding right? Guitarist and singer of the almighty Smashing Pumpkins dude!
    tristan_deity wrote: Who is this so called Billy Corgan?
    antikriz
    mattyv751 wrote: Just wondering if you would say it plays and sounds better than a new Standard Strat?
    Um yeah. Yeah I would. The pickups are too thin sounding for my taste on a standard strat. This has a much fatter tone (and a lot more sustain thanks to the hard tail). Also if you treat this guitar to a lot of gain it doesn't "choke"...
    EnglishToolRage
    I agree with this... It works as a thicker, more soulful, version of a standard Strat. Sometimes big heavy Gibsons don't have the feel that you want from a texturing guitar, but this has the set humbuckers and the playable feel. - Best of both worlds, as long as you don't intend it for heavy (darker end) metal; this is a great every-man's guitar and a well kept secret for the most part.
    Confetti
    tristan_deity wrote: Who is this so called Billy Corgan?
    Where did i put my troll spray? Would really wanna try one of these.
    TheEchomaker
    In case anyones wondering its still my main guitar, dont see it getting replaced for a good while. Thankyou for all the positive comments.
    EnglishToolRage
    A good friend of mine has one of these: They're top end, really reliable and heavy. Not for your hard rhythm, as it still doesn't have the chug-prowess of the Les Paul, but it's tone is heavy and the neck has a beautiful feel to it. A modern, less run of the mill, alternative to the Gibson SG, and sounds utterly beautiful. Not so good on drop tuning (Death/Power Metal types), but in Standard tuning, I've not heard many better guitars... A seriously good deal if you can find one..
    GibsonMan321
    Played this thing once. Liked the bridge, very solid. The pickups sounded like any good humbucker should, and the neck was pretty chunky. It's like a Gibson disguised as a Strat.
    Miyagi84
    It's hard to be objective about how good these guitars truly are when the reviewers don't seem to be objective... everything on this site is a 9 or a 10 lol. I think for what the pricetag is for this guitar, it should be better. I don't see why anyone can't take a white or black mexican strat and change the tone pots and pickups (if your like me and don't know how to do that go to a luthier!). Sure it won't sound as good as the BC strat but it will sound close and you can save 400-500 bucks. Alot of these signature guitars aren't that different from regular strats, besides the name on the headstock and the price tag...
    oscarnz
    I have one of these about 1 year old, and it is my primary Guitar..... untill I got my Gibson SG robot. But still the fender has such an awesome clean sound and rocks some great nirvana sound. Still an important part of my collection
    mattyv751
    TheEchomaker
    sorry for the double quote but my bad i meant blue-silver-red lace sensor pickups
    AusMetal33
    great idea for a strat makes it appealing for gibson-style lovers who want something diffent but need some balls to their sound
    TheEchomaker
    USCENDONE BENE wrote: pacsabbath25 wrote: is their any other signiture strat for corgan that is cheaper you could buy a similar looking cheaper strat and put in his signature pickups which you can get separately :p
    yeah he is right other option would be a 50s beat up and stickered strat loaded with B-S-R pickups. On United States from Zeitgeist he uses a schecter c-1 if that is the sound you want.
    USCENDONE BENE
    bolezhinkov
    a good review - Ive played with this guitar before and feel much the same about it's abilities. the way it can still make one of the high strings ring out with a thick tone even clean is quite nice. less compression needed than other guitars I have played for the full tone.
    wakekid2001
    im always excited about signatures. the angus young Sg is prolly my favorite, the john mayer and SRV strats are a little lack luster.
    Turkeyburger
    I was just looking into getting one of these... It's much more appealing to me after reading this review.