Billy Corgan Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Billy Corgan Stratocaster

Purchased from: ebay

The DiMarzio pickups are excellent. There's 5 different pickup positions, you get a great mix of clean and treble and the top position is my favourite as it has an excellent grungy fuzz quality to it. The pickups give you a great mix for any quiet / loud song structure and the volume control lets you mix the distortion into the sound nicely. Sustain is really good when you crank it up, but again the pickups help reduce background noise. Oh, and they look pretty cool!

I found this for a good price second hand on eBay and it is a great guitar. I was holding out for a decent jaguar, but this guitar ticks all the boxes and has a great cross over range of sounds. People who have seen this guitar love the look of it as well, it's just got an edge over a traditional looking Strat. An excellent versatile guitar.

The white finish is just starting to age nicely into a light cream colour which apparently it's meant to do (and improve the sound over time???). As I bought mine second hand there were a few dents on the bodywork, but it's a guitar with its history in grunge so it's meant to be played aggressively and looks better for having a slightly worn look to it. It feels solid and reliable and I'm sure it will last the course of time!

I have a Jazzmaster as well which is great for ease of play and strumming chords but I love the thinner neck on this Strat. I also have a 24 fret B.C. Rich (for my metal moments!) and the Billy Corgan feels just as good to play fast. The fixed bridge is something I really wanted for stable tuning and it's great to get this on a Fender Strat.

The Billy Corgan Strat is a really good attempt at capturing a Pumpkins type sound, super fuzzy high gain rhythms, screaming simple leads and the functionality to tone it down for the quiet bits. Mine is just over a year old now and came with a pretty decent hardcase.