Blacktop Jaguar HH review by Fender

Fender: Blacktop Jaguar HH

Price paid: € 579

Purchased from: Thomann

I've played guitar for about a year, this is my first guitar. Before I played my fathers Fender Stratocaster Special from 78 which was really easy to play, so is this one. I play Indie, blues, funk, alternative metal (Muse, MCR) and some other stuff. The humbuckers are perfect for metal and also perfect for that soft clean funk tone. I've played it on a Vox VT15 and an old Yamaha 10watt my father bought for extreme overdriving. The Vox hums when I have heavy distortion which is annoying but if I leave the room the hum disappears. Metal distortion on my Yamaha works perfectly so its probably something with my amp.

I play all kinds of music but in my band we play Indie, rock (Arctic Monkeys, Muse, RHCP, MCR and other). I've played guitar for a year I've played bass for about 2 years but one year ago I started playing guitar instead of bass. I own (my dad own the Fender but I play it) one Fender Strat Special from 78 (sunburst), one Squire Jazzbass (sunburst), one J&D Brother Bass (Blue, cheap bass) and a East Tone Stratocaster (red). If someone stole it I would definitely buy a new one, maybe try the tele but no doubt I would buy a blacktop. I wish it had Coil tap and I think I will buy new pickups to get singlecoil on it.

I haven't played it live but the guitar survived being shipped from Germany to Sweden and The lacquer is very strong. It will definitely survive a live performance. I hit my strings hard when I play with my band to get more attack on the chords and it doesnt't even leave tune. The strap buttons are big to.

Out of the box the guitar looked fantastic, it was out of tune (of course). The bridge was a bit low and the EBG strings was wrong setup. Took me about 15 minutes to set it up perfectly, anyone can do it. The bridgep ickup was to low but also 1 minute of adjustment and it was perfect. there's one thing that really bad thing, there was only one string tree on the headstock so the D and G string lost some sustain. I'm planning on buying one and put it in cause it will help and its easy to put in. Still very disappointed about it.

So its a Mexican guitar made 2012. 24' Neck that is made of rosewood and maple.It has white/cream inlays and jumbo frets. Due to the fact that it has a shorter scale neck than a normal Jaguar/Strat/Tele, its very easy to play and bend strings. The body is black and very shiny. I didn't expect it to be very solid and heavy but it really was and the sustain is fantastic after a simple adjustment to the bridge/trussrod. The body is alder which is very solid and stable. The bridge is a HardTail (like a Les Paul) and I was surprised by the sustain. Two alnico 5 humbuckers that gives a really fat and soft or crunchy distortion tone. The clean tone wasn't very special, wasn't bad but it still sounds amazing. One tone and one Volume, the volume knob kills the sound at 3 already which was a disappointment but nothing that will effect your sound too much. Also I was disappointed cause I didn't get any accessories but I don't really care. If you need a cable or gig bag go buy it its not that expensive. The tuners are Fender tuners and after the first 10 chords it was already out of tune so I lifted up the strings and released them o couple of times then it was good. Stays perfectly in tune now.