Blacktop Jaguar HH FSR review by Fender

Fender: Blacktop Jaguar HH FSR

Purchased from: Nevada Music

Interesting reading another review where the owner removed the standard pick-ups and put Duncans in. I know this is going to be hard to believe but I have Duncans in my Les Paul (Jazz at the neck and Jeff Beck at the bridge) and against all my prejudices I think prefer the tone of the Jag. I never thought I would ever say I like a Fender (and admittedly it's a double humbucker, short scale, fixed bridge Fender) but I'm blown away by how good this sounds on standard pickups.

Overall impression is very good, love the feel, action, looks and sound. Love the simplicity of 3-way+vol+tone. Only gripe I have (and it may be limited to mine) is that at moderate volumes and above, touching the bridge quietens the hum whereas touching the body of the PU selector switch increases it so I'm wondering whether there is a dry joint in the bonding somewhere. I'll check it out with a meter when I can be bothered. To answer the questions asked: play rock ranging from Smiths through to Metallica; been playing 30 years; other gear Les Paul, Marshall JTM, Boss effects, Yamaha acoustic; would replace if lost/stolen; only feature I'd add is coil tap for neck (might add one if PUs have the centre wires).

Nothing seems fragile but it's too soon to say really.

As purchased, the bridge was as low as it would go and the action was good for at high E but buzzy at low E. A turn of the screwdriver and it's perfect.

Bought an FSR model - only 3 differences as far as I can tell: - Bound neck - being a Les Paul fan I like this - Jag knobs rather than skirted amp knowbs - again I like these - Different colour - blizzard pearl - not particularly bothered. Apart from that the same spec as posted here.

boozebreaker
    I have one too .I really like apart from the fact i find it heavy .I agree the pickups are far better than people imagine .I can play Jazz ,blues ,country and heavy rock .the neck pickup is really good .hot but sweet and warm ,has some tonal punch that lower out put necks dont have.the pickups dont split sadly .only two wires .Great guitar .i underslung the strings round the stop tail piece to give a bit more tension.
    mannymoses
    I have the seafoam green one. It is amazing. I love the sound and the color of the guitar. The color gains very wanted attention when playing live. Always a plus.