Blacktop Jazzmaster review by Fender

Fender: Blacktop Jazzmaster

This guitar fits my style of music amazingly, can carry light distortion, fuzz, and reverb great and even sounds nice with high distortion and overdrive do to the humbucker at the bridge. However depending on what equipment you're working with you can get some hum when the pickups in the middle or neck position. It can go from bright single coil sounds to anything you really want. I have a DigiTech multi effect so I can model the sounds before putting them through my amp so I'm not sure how other would get their desired tones besides pedal. But it hands distortion great, or if you're into that classic surf sound, it will definitely surprise you.

I play a lot of indie, beach, chill music, and occasionally blues or attempts at shredding or hardcore music, and it suits all of the fine. This guitar really will surprise you. This is my third electric guitar and I have been playing for 5 years. This guitar just really fits my style and is the only guitar I play anymore. The original pickups on it are amazing so I really don't plan on changing anything. I recommend this to anyone who likes the Fender sound, but wants the option to utilize crazy distortion or just the general humbucker sound.

Everything about this guitar seems sturdy (apart from the tremolo bar, which can be easily fixed). It has never shorted out and is actually really great playing live.

Everything is perfect with it, except maybe the the truss rod could be adjusted slightly.

It was made in Mexico but is still the best guitar I've ever owned. It has 21 medium jumbo frets and a gloss urethane finish on the maple neck. The fretboard is rosewood with white inlays and is really easy to play. Its has a sunburst Alder body with a black pickguard, and has two Seymour Duncan designed pickups that work amazingly together. It's supposed to come with a wrench to adjust the tremolo but because I got it used, the tremolo bar constantly falls out, but that can easily be fixed. How ever, I did get a gig bag and strap with it.

TheBlackening91
    It's such a shame that the prices for guitars in England is the same only with a sign instead of a $, we have to pay 1.6x more than you guys
    AeolianSeventh
    Personally, I've only played one for about half an hour, but I loved it. Of all the guitars Fender's developed in the past ten years, this one's my favorite.
    '93
    ive only played the blacktop tele but it kicked the ass out of the mim standard
    DeviousByNature
    Only the crate is class A, with eight tubes for fifty watts. The peavey is class AB. You can't get 100 watts class A without using about thirty tubes - so you know.
    Thunderstruckmh
    I bought the sunburst model a few months back. The finish and looks of the guitar are outstanding. For the price I've yet to see a more beautiful guitar. The neck is awesome too, nice and flat and smooth. The MAJOR downside to this guitar is the bridge. If you play/pick hard like I do, expect the bridge screws to loosen up and the unit to go out of whack on its own. I actually had one of the intonation screws completely fall out of the guitar. To remedy this, I bought a Fender Mustang bridge on Ebay and it works great, although I'm not able to adjust the string height individually. A very cool guit-fiddle.
    FloyDZeD
    pnkhrdwndr wrote: The only thing I don't like on these is the neck finish.
    Agreed, it's a little too glossy for me, but I do like this guitar. The bridge pickup isn't really that great, but other than that, I almost like it more than my American Strat.
    Dpullam
    The buzzing acoustically you mentioned happens on my jazzmaster as well so I am guessing it is a pretty common issue. In any case, I really like mine and it suits my needs.
    noisewall11
    '93 wrote: ive only played the blacktop tele but it kicked the ass out of the mim standard
    kinda hard to compare if you ask me. blacktop having buckers and the standard having single coils. two totally different beasts.