Blacktop Jazzmaster review by Fender

Fender: Blacktop Jazzmaster

Price paid: A$ 640

Purchased from: Keyboard Corner

I play anything from blues to grunge, and maybe a bit of metal. I play it through my Vox Valvetronix 15 watt amp and the sound is amazing. As previous reviewers have said, there's that really annoying bell tone, but can be fixed with a new bridge. Having said that, this guitar has a wide range of sounds, when I switch it to the humbucker, you get a very high gain metal sound, whereas the middle setting gives you a mid gain sound that could be used for blues rock, and finally the JM pickup which gives you that classic jazzy tone.

I bought this guitar because it is weird and unpopular. Alot like me at school. I bought this guitar because I wanted an upgrade from my Epiphone LP Special 2, which was good, but I desperately wanted something better. I have been playing since I was 10, and I am now 13. A couple of months back I was tempted to buy a Schecter Hellraiser, but I just didn't have the cash. I love the tone, the neck and action, but a absolutely hate the bridge and the fact that the trem comes out when pulled alot. If someone stole this guitar, I'd probably get another one, or something similar.

Apart from the bridge, this guitar is very reliable and could easily be used to pull off a successful gig. Strap buttons are great, tuners feel like Grovers so they should last ages. It holds it tuning like nothing else, and trem doesn't really cause problems and can take some serious abuse, definitely recommend it for a gig.

The action was ok, a bit high for my liking but playable. The bridge, however was a piece of s.h.i.t. As you play, the bolts lossen, sometimes falling out, not to mention that lovely string buzz that everyone enjoys. Trem was ok, made it a bit out of tune but pretty good. Finish is great. Mine is a nice gloss black which would last forever. I eventually got this guitar set up and trem issues had almost disappeared, almost never goes out of tune, action was beautiful, but the bridge was still crap.

The Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster features: - An alder body - A maple neck with rosewood fingerboard - Duncan designed JM pickup in neck and Duncan designed humbucker in bridge - A Jazzmaster style trem - Mint green pickguard - Three way toggle switch - Black hat control knobs.