Blacktop Jazzmaster review by Fender

Fender: Blacktop Jazzmaster

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I play many styles of music such as Blues, Pop, Surf, Worhsip, and Rock. I got this guitar because a very good friend of mine got the Classic Player JM and he inspired me to get one. This was the best option for me. I play through a Bugera V55 and with the amp cranked, this has an amazing tone! The neck pickup delivers that classic JM tone. The bridge pickup is very midrangey and sounds like a Les Paul. The middle position delivers that classic Jazzmaster jangly tone. There are 2 things that I didn't like about the particular guitar I got. The neck pickup was WAY too bright. I had to lower it a lot to get a more mellow tone. But before I did that, I tried rolling a little tone off. The tone control has two sounds. 0 and 10. You can not get anything between 0 and 10. The tone control has no effect unless its on 0. But now that I've lowered the neck pickup, it has an amazing tone. Plug this into a Deluxe Reverb for classic surf tones or plug it into a Tweed Twin for great Blues sounds.

This is the best deal you can get if you're looking for a Jazzmaster. If it were stolen I would definitely buy another one. My favorite feature would be the tremolo. It's so perfect. This is my first Fender and I love it. My main guitar was a Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster that I upgraded with the Clapton Mid Boost and now this Jazzmaster will share the "main guitar" slot with the Strat. BUY ONE!

It's a Fender. So of course it's going to have amazing craftsmanship. I've done at least 10 gigs with it since I got it in February and it has been a trooper.

The sunburst is the most beautiful thing I've seen. There were no flaws at all when I got it. The only thing I did to it was swap out the 9-42s for 12-56s. But soon I'm going to put a Nickel cover on the bridge humbucker. It will look even better.

Made in 2011 in Mexico. Body is 2 piece alder and has a bolt-on one piece maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. I got mine in 3-tone sunburst. Has a classic Jazzmaster body. It has a Jazzmaster pickup in the neck position with a Duncan Designed humbucker in the bridge. Both pickups are wired to a 3 way selector and a volume pot and tone pot. It doesn't have the Jazzmaster circuit which isn't a big deal for me. It has an Adjust-o-matic bridge with the Jazzmaster trem. It's the best trem I've ever used for surf music. It's closer to a Bigsby than anything else. It holds tune perfectly!