Blacktop Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: Blacktop Telecaster

Price paid: € 545

Purchased from: Music Store

I was looking for a Fender Telecaster long time ago, I tried many american and mexican telecasters but I never feel that it was the right one and when I tried out the blacktop I immediatly fell in love. It suits perfectly with my music style I usally play alternative rock like Muse, Radiohead, etc. But it can handles anything from metal to blues. I play it through a Laney LV 300 Head and it sounds amazing!

This is a very competent guitar that can serve any kind of player. It sounds magnificently for anything you want to play. It's an amazing HH Telecaster and considering its price I think this guitar it's like the Holy Grail of the guitars. I don't care if it is Mexican, American, Japanese, Chinese, I really love this guitar and I would buy another one if something happens to my telecaster.

It is a very solid guitar, I've played many gigs it has fell some times but it looks just like if it was new. The finish and hardware are good enough to handle a rock life. Particularly mine has suffered many damage and I still don't have any scratches or finish problems.

The guitar was well made, the set-up was good and everything was in tune. I really got suprised by seeing a Mexican Telecaster working in my opinion even better than many american telecasters out there. There is no kind of mistakes everything is in order, very good quality considering the price. It can easily beat some pro-level guitar putting this guitar in that category.

My guitar was made in 2010 on Mexico. It has 22 medium jumbo frets, rosewood neck, alder body and two humbuckers. I got mine in silver finish with black pickguard which I like. It has reversed control assembly unlike the others telecasters with one volume and one tone control and also a 3-way switching, it came with black skirted amp knobs on volume and tone which I changed for the traditional Telecaster knobs.

LivinJoke84
    MyS3lF : stop with the 10/10 reviews already
    K&F
    I live in Portugal and I payed 524,99 for it. Great guitar, great for Hard Rock, Grunge, Heavy Metal, virtually anything related to Rock, I would recommend it, and I'm very happy I bought one!
    The^Unforgiven
    Patrijz
    MyS3lF wrote: stop with the 10/10 reviews already
    Where is the 'Like' button?
    Amuro Jay
    Koldan
    adodin
    Try shipping costs =P.
    Koldan wrote: No problem I just started learning english one year ago
    Your English is quite good for 1 year of learning it.
    Leep_dog
    As a follow-up to my post on this guitar, I lowered the pickup height on both pickups and I think the sound is much improved. Before you go and replace pickups on this or any other guitar, I highly recommend changing the pickup height.
    xxdarkkevinxx
    Slaytan666 wrote: It's too bad the reviewer's grammar is only a 6/10
    Too bad he probably is not an english major with you being a grammer Nazi who understands what he means but still only comments on the. way he spells things and not the review itself.
    Sakke
    adodin wrote: Yeah guitars are much much more expensive in Europe than over in the US. Not sure why, capitalism I suppose Try shipping costs =P. Koldan wrote: No problem I just started learning english one year ago Your English is quite good for 1 year of learning it.
    +1.
    Bram_Claes
    Glass Prisoner wrote: A Tele with humbuckers seems a bit sacrilege, but I dunno, maybe it works.
    Tele's with humbuckers exist for almost 40 years now, I don't see your point
    bustapr
    i thought this guitar cost 450, now it went up to 500... does look like a good guitar, especially the grey tele.
    movarshaq
    LivinJoke84 wrote: MyS3lF : stop with the 10/10 reviews already What if the reviewer realy cant pick a fault with it? Reviews are very subjective and if this particular guitar is perfect for the reviewers needs then why shouldnt he rate it as a 10/10?
    Where is the 'Like' button for THIS??
    Emilym80
    Slaytan666 wrote: It's too bad the reviewer's grammar is only a 6/10
    That really has nothing to do with the actual content.
    Zeletros
    syracon30 wrote: The^Unforgiven wrote: I think guitars should be reviewed as objectively as possible. I realize that it can't be done 100% as a guitar is always a subjective experience, but still, all 10's is HIGHLY unlikely - simply not finding anything to fault is no reason for that. A guitar with full grades needs not only to be flawless in every aspect, but also needs to have something truly outstanding to it. I completely agree to this. I would rate it 10/10 if it was used by some proper good famous guitarist personally, though. They have to use the best of the best or they would sound... not good.
    I would rather play a guitar than none of celebrities play because companies would instantly mark it as a signature model and put +2000$ price just because some guy who plays chords in a popular rock band played this guitar one time on a concert
    ProgFolk12
    MaxWood
    jetfuel495 wrote: MaxWood wrote: jetfuel495 wrote: MaxWood wrote: This guitar sounds like shit, for the price you pay you might as well get a 72' Deluxe.I don't think you can get a 72 Deluxe for 500 USD. I have no idea how the reviewer paid over 500. 500 is the not the same as $500 though. That's my point. I have no idea how the reviewer paid 545 (almost $800) for a guitar that only costs $500 (about 350). Perhaps guitars are more expensive in Europe, but that would also make the prices of the '72 higher as well. In the States, a '72 Deluxe Tele costs $700 (about 480). In Europe I assume it would be much more. Compare that to the price Koldan paid for the Blacktop. It goes back to what I was saying. You can't get a '72 Deluxe for the same price as a Blacktop. Blacktops are much cheaper.
    Ah I follow now. I tried out a Blacktop in the US when I visited, was planning on buying it (because it's cheaper over there) before I heard how it sounded :/ I already had a 72' Deluxe and it just didn't sound anywhere near as good. I was gutted but it's the truth.
    Leep_dog
    I've had a Blacktop Tele for almost a year. It's a pretty nice guitar but it's not a 10/10 in my opinion. My major issue with it is the pick ups. They just don't sound that great to me. It's a very well-made, great looking guitar though and it is probably very well suited to someone who uses a lot of distortion. I just find it's not versatile enough for me. I like my Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele a lot more.
    shoule79
    I've tried a few of these, couple issues. Everyone I tried had noticeable flaws in the finish (runs in the paint, scratches). Stock pickups are iffy. Nice guitars though, good value (they run around $450 in Canada). Buy one and throw in better PUPs and you are in business.
    poop_dogg
    xxdarkkevinxx
    poop_dogg wrote: just ordered one along with a gibson tony iommi signature pickup which i will put in the bridge. any thoughts on how it will sound? probably wouldn't have gone with the iommi, but it was ridiculously cheap ($70 used).
    Can't hurt to try
    depech
    This demo also sounds nice for the cleaner tones, by Mark Lucas.
    depech
    Hi, I am looking for a tele, cant make up my mind which one...either the MIM Blacktop, Nashville, Standard or the Fender (not Squier) MIC Modern Player. I dont have an opinion yet about the Blacktop Tele except this review and some others, but I know the pickups, the same as in my Blacktop Strat. They are not weak, I wont go into details of my strat not to bore you guys, but these humbuckers have punch, for a Fender type of guitar, more than the single-coils obviously, but then the sound is thicker as well, and so if you expect to hear a classic tele, you play country or such, you will find a difference, you may not like it. But if you play it overdriven they sound good. Again, Id need to hear how they sound on a Telecaster. I recommend to hear the Youtube demo by Damon Chivers at Nevada UK to have an idea. Yes, in Europe they are more expensive, as in other regions, I live in Argentina, I bought the Blacktop Tele last year for $449 in the U.S., here its twice the price. These Blacktops are well built, have good finishing details, they keep in tune.
    noiseboy99
    I have had mine of a little over a year, way past what I'd consider a break in period, and other than it's incredible appearance, I have sadly come to the conclusion that it's a dog, or at best an expensive platform guitar (body, really) of which will require many mods to bring it up to where it would should to be. I concur with many other comments regarding the PU's: they're lifeless, muddy. Not as noticeable when fully cranked up, but very evident when playing at lower, non-overdrive volume. The bridge is garbage and needed to be swapped out with a Hipshot just to keep it in tune. The neck a horror: Taking into account that taste in necks are completely subjective, and the radius on this is not to my liking, it seems that no amount of setup work has been able to resolve the sponginess of the middle neck areas on the D & G strings between frets 7 and 12. (seem to be typical of many MIM necks). So if you replace the neck, the bridge, and the pickups, we're talking a net add of about 600-700 bucks. Lesson learned.
    Bert_the_Bear
    jetfuel495 wrote:re that to the price Koldan paid for the Blacktop. It goes back to what I was saying. You can't get a '72 Deluxe for the same price as a Blacktop. Blacktops are much cheaper.
    A '72 deluxe here in Europe will cost you about 850...
    hom789
    I just got paid $6784 working off my laptop this month. And if you think that's cool, my divorced friend has twin toddlers and made over $9k her first month. It feels so good making so much money when other people have to work for so much less. This is what I do, Red97dotcom
    ravenstrat
    I own this guitar in black with the rosewood fretboard. I would rate this guitar a 6. I could go on and on about all the great things about this guitar I like as everyone else has done before me, or I can just list all the things I dont like. I would like to add that I am a huge fan of Fender but I am honestly giving this a shot. The Body- Feels like 4x4 up against you and edges are NOT comfortable compared to a Strat. There is a small smoothed spot at the top but for all the comfort it affords it may as well be made of concrete. I give the Body a 6 because at least its Alder The Finish- Urethane may as well be Kevlar coz this guitar is bulletproof! 10+ The Neck- compared to my American Strat the back of the neck feels like a baseball bat cut lengthwise and some rosewood frets added to the front. The fret wires are the usual nickel and the fretboard is comfortable to play. The neck could be flatter at the back so I would give it a 6 as well. Feels more like a Les Paul than a Fender. The Sound- These pickups are HOT! They sustain well and are perfectly suited for metal or heavy rock n roll. They remind me of the buckers that they put in the made in china Jackson JS Series, you can hear every movement your hand makes on the strings and they have a kind of hollow echo. For pickups that are most likely made in the China Squier factory, I'll give em a 6 as well. Hardware- I realize this guitar is,made in Mexico and doesn't cost a thousand dollars so I will go easy on the hardware. However the pots are the made in china junk that has that draggy feel compared to any American Fender and they are nowhere near smooth. My volume pot came loose after playing for two weeks and I had to tighten it up. The input Jack feels cheap and the 3-way switch feels even cheaper. I am terrified I am going to break the 3 way every time I play it. I will give this section a score of 4. The Cost- I got mine for around $420.00 and when I think about how much more it would take to satisfy me monetarily by adding CTS pots, Orange Drop caps, a brass bridge, decent tuners, new pickups ( Duncan JB 59s for rock or EMG 81 and 85s for metal) and for Gods sake a quality 3-way switch and input jack, I am left wondering if I would have been better off ordering a body and neck from Stewmac and building it myself. In Summary- For the price and the Novice this guitar is great. I do enjoy the sound through my Fender Mustang and my buddies Marshall. Anytime Im playing heavy crunchy stuff you betcha I'll be playing this Blacktop Tele until the day I become a 7 or 8 string Swedish Metal guy!!! Overall for value Im giving it a 6. Maybe a 6+
    DJ_Effrey
    I'm so sick of reading reviews of all these perfect guitars! Find a damn problem with them!!!
    Slaytan666
    Koldan wrote: I gave it a ten because I tried many guitars before I bought this one, I really didn't care about the price I was looking for the perfect guitar to me and when I tried the blacktop telecaster it really sounds perfect to me. I don't agree with some people that say that expensive guitars are better or whatever, I played 1000 euros 2000 euros guitars and this one sounds exactly what I wanted. Btw some one said before that my english sucks and yeah that's true
    My bad. I didn't realize English wasn't your first language.
    celticstorm84
    ProgFolk12 wrote: I can't beleive there are people here arguing that any guitar can earn 10/10. There is no possible way any guitar can be perfect! What makes every guitar so interesting are the little discrepencies, every guitar is different, but no guitar is perfect. For example, the imperfections in the design of a standard tele stop it being perfect-and that's why I love it. 10/10 reviews defeat the object of reviews, since reviews require criticism to be of any use! /rant. On topic, looks cool. I've seen a few blacktops around and I really ought to try some out, though if I was in the market for a tele it would need single coils, so I'd probably be looking at the Classic Player Baja or the American Special.
    Cool story, bro.
    Crazyedd123
    you guys gotta review the BT jazzmaster now, i got one and i love it. although, i may look into changing the saddle bridge. it looks very nice but, if hit with enough force, the strings can get knocked out, plus i think it's slightly too wide for the neck (the low E string used to slip over the neck, although i think i fixed this)
    Chad11491
    I agree, Fender hit it out of the park with their blacktop line. I'd give these a 10/10 for their price.
    luke_guitar
    so they really are good? i thought this was another cheap series but i'm kind of excited now
    MyS3lF
    Yea, totally agree with you, didn't mean to criticize this guitar in particular, because i've read and seen about a dozen reviews already, and it does seem perfect, was just pointing out that there have been too many 10/10 reviews in UG without much content to prove a 10/10
    MaxWood
    500 is the not the same as $500 though.
    BearCaveEcho
    I've played it... it's pretty badass, not going to lie. I mean, 10/10 is pretty sketchy for everyone else, but honestly, you can't beat it if this is what you're aiming for. There are Ltd's, but I don't think anybody buying this would buy that or a Schecter (okay... maybe I would)... and the epi's in the comparable price range have really dry fretboards and poorly cut frets. Everything else has an annoying tremelo or is used. If this is what you want, then it's a perfect 10/10. It's not perfect perfect, but it's still a 10/10.
    Amuro Jay
    Koldan
    No problem I just started learning english one year ago
    Amaseng
    I've heard the pickups on these are really weak. If I got this I'd buy it and drop in some Seymour Duncans or DiMarzios.
    Bezza27
    People understand that 10/10 reviews are there for the reviewer to justify buying the product. Thats all.