Blacktop Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: Blacktop Telecaster

I play modern metal. (TDWP, Beneath The Sky, I The Breather, etc.) And I'm powering it thru a Marshall HDFX 100. It's freaking beautiful. Very warm and still has that slight Tele twang that gives the high end a very nice crunch. I was thinking of maybe replacing the pickups but after playing it I don't want to lose the tone I have now with it. The neck pickup is VERY warm. Very nice for blues and softer things off the clean channel. I can honestly say this is my favorite guitar for sound wise.

I honestly can't say many bad things about this guitar. I used to be so Anti-Fender but after a second glance I'm glad I dove into this instrument and picked it up. It's made me a more focused and dedicated player due to the excitement I get from wanting to play it. You have to play one to understand any of this. An internet review only goes so far. I love this guitar and I'll prob buy another one. But in a different color. It comes in Black, Grey, and White. I want the White one next.

I've messed around with it in jam sessions and I cringe everytime I bump it on a chair or amp or something just because I'm sort of a B**** when it comes to being protective over my guitar. But it doesn't do anything to it. No scrapes yet and no dents. I'm looking to break it in and can't wait till it gains the natural aged look. I always like the look of older Tele's. Unfortunately I'm thinking I have a long wait for that look only because the damn thing is so durable and the paint job is SUPER immaculate. It'll last quite a long time. I'd use it in a gig as my primary and get a second one as a back up. Def a stage worthy guitar for any genre really.

Out of the box it was set up pretty good! But I play in C. So I had some adjusting to do. It came with the allen wrenches to fix the truss rod and bridge action. I put em to use and found an action that worked for me. Very little fret buzz when set up to specs. The action is almost effortless to the touch. I adjusted the pickups slightly but I didn't go overboard or anything just because they were nicely placed as is. Very well made for the price of a Telecaster. It is MIM but it's VERY quality for what it is and it's worth.

MIM Fender Blacktop Telecaster. I picked it up during the guitar center Fender anniversary sale. I picked the Black body with black pick guard. It has 2 over wound Alnico 5 humbuckers, HardTail bridge (which is string thru), rosewood fretboard on a solid maple neck. The body is Alder. The controls are reversed on this model. There is one volume and one tone knob as well as a three way selector switch. The knobs are supposed to be "Amp styled" which I liked. The neck has a gloss urethane finish as well as being a bolt on neck. I love it.

PCollen
    Well, by now you probably have realized that a standard bridge humbucker doesn't work well with Fender's wider string spacing. You need to use an F-spaced humbucker, like Duncans 'Trembucker' pickups for the strings to line up properly over the pole pieces, or use a rail-type pickup.
    kardonpr
    Why do you people care about someone else's opinion or rating? If for the reviewer the guitar is a 10, then it's a 10 for him or her. If for you it's NOT a 10, then stop whining like a little girl (or boy). I've played and recorded with the guitar. Overall, I'd rated it an 8 out of 10. Very good guitar, more suitable for hard stuff, since the pickups are VERY hot, too hot for my taste, but in a metal or hard rock environment, it shines brightly