Blacktop Telecaster Review

reviews (5) pictures (6) 65 comments vote for this gear:
Blacktop Telecaster Reviewed by: Koldan, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: € 545

Purchased from: Music Store

Features: My guitar was made in 2010 on Mexico. It has 22 medium jumbo frets, rosewood neck, alder body and two humbuckers. I got mine in silver finish with black pickguard which I like. It has reversed control assembly unlike the others telecasters with one volume and one tone control and also a 3-way switching, it came with black skirted amp knobs on volume and tone which I changed for the traditional Telecaster knobs. // 10

Sound: I was looking for a Fender Telecaster long time ago, I tried many american and mexican telecasters but I never feel that it was the right one and when I tried out the blacktop I immediatly fell in love. It suits perfectly with my music style I usally play alternative rock like Muse, Radiohead, etc. But it can handles anything from metal to blues. I play it through a Laney LV 300 Head and it sounds amazing! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was well made, the set-up was good and everything was in tune. I really got suprised by seeing a Mexican Telecaster working in my opinion even better than many american telecasters out there. There is no kind of mistakes everything is in order, very good quality considering the price. It can easily beat some pro-level guitar putting this guitar in that category. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is a very solid guitar, I've played many gigs it has fell some times but it looks just like if it was new. The finish and hardware are good enough to handle a rock life. Particularly mine has suffered many damage and I still don't have any scratches or finish problems. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very competent guitar that can serve any kind of player. It sounds magnificently for anything you want to play. It's an amazing HH Telecaster and considering its price I think this guitar it's like the Holy Grail of the guitars. I don't care if it is Mexican, American, Japanese, Chinese, I really love this guitar and I would buy another one if something happens to my telecaster. // 10

Blacktop Telecaster Reviewed by: junocaster90, on november 09, 2012

Features: MIM Fender Blacktop Telecaster. I picked it up during the guitar center Fender anniversary sale. I picked the Black body with black pick guard. It has 2 over wound Alnico 5 humbuckers, HardTail bridge (which is string thru), rosewood fretboard on a solid maple neck. The body is Alder. The controls are reversed on this model. There is one volume and one tone knob as well as a three way selector switch. The knobs are supposed to be "Amp styled" which I liked. The neck has a gloss urethane finish as well as being a bolt on neck. I love it. // 9

Sound: I play modern metal. (TDWP, Beneath The Sky, I The Breather, etc.) And I'm powering it thru a Marshall HDFX 100. It's freaking beautiful. Very warm and still has that slight Tele twang that gives the high end a very nice crunch. I was thinking of maybe replacing the pickups but after playing it I don't want to lose the tone I have now with it. The neck pickup is VERY warm. Very nice for blues and softer things off the clean channel. I can honestly say this is my favorite guitar for sound wise. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box it was set up pretty good! But I play in C. So I had some adjusting to do. It came with the allen wrenches to fix the truss rod and bridge action. I put em to use and found an action that worked for me. Very little fret buzz when set up to specs. The action is almost effortless to the touch. I adjusted the pickups slightly but I didn't go overboard or anything just because they were nicely placed as is. Very well made for the price of a Telecaster. It is MIM but it's VERY quality for what it is and it's worth. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've messed around with it in jam sessions and I cringe everytime I bump it on a chair or amp or something just because I'm sort of a B**** when it comes to being protective over my guitar. But it doesn't do anything to it. No scrapes yet and no dents. I'm looking to break it in and can't wait till it gains the natural aged look. I always like the look of older Tele's. Unfortunately I'm thinking I have a long wait for that look only because the damn thing is so durable and the paint job is SUPER immaculate. It'll last quite a long time. I'd use it in a gig as my primary and get a second one as a back up. Def a stage worthy guitar for any genre really. // 9

Overall Impression: I honestly can't say many bad things about this guitar. I used to be so Anti-Fender but after a second glance I'm glad I dove into this instrument and picked it up. It's made me a more focused and dedicated player due to the excitement I get from wanting to play it. You have to play one to understand any of this. An internet review only goes so far. I love this guitar and I'll prob buy another one. But in a different color. It comes in Black, Grey, and White. I want the White one next. // 10

Blacktop Telecaster Reviewed by: MosriteCharlie, on september 30, 2015

Purchased from: Sweetwater Sound

Features: My Blacktop Tele guitar was received in 2012 and has a 27 inch scale rosewood neck with medium jumbo frets. With 2 passive single coils and one humbucking pickup, the tone choices are amazing. The Tele has the standard volume tone and 3 way switch with non-locking tuners. One modification that was easy to make and had a great influence on the tone was to replace the 2nd (G) and third (D) plain strings with wound guitar equivalents. Since no hard shell case that I had fit, I had to purchase a bass guitar case which works very well. The body appears thicker than a standard Tele which gives the guitar amazing resonance and the body contours are very comfortable. Strung B to B this is one fourth lower than a stock guitar so anything you play on a standard 6 string is merely moved up one string on this guitar. I recommend this for anyone seeking more drive and punch in their playing style. // 9

Sound: I play rock and roll and this comes very close to the style The Ventures used on their early albums. I play my guitar through a Fender Deluxe Reverb amplifier with built in reverb and tremolo. I have not experienced any noise with this guitar but have not played under fluorescent lighting to check this out With a humbucking pickup, this should not be an issue. The sounds are rich and full with plenty of drive and sustain on most any setting coming very close to the Mosrites on early Ventures albums. This guitar has plenty of low end crunch and yet manages to provide a bit of high end sparkle in the uppoer register. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Sweetwater did an excellent job of setting this guitar up and it plays beautiful right out of the box. Everything was to spec and perfect. The Ghost Silver finish is flawless and is offset nicely with the black pick guard and chrome hardware making for a stunning guitar. There were absolutely no flaws whatsoever. The fret finish feels like it was hand rolled with no sharp edges and the C shape neck is comfortable in my hands although a bit thicker than a stock Strat C shape neck. The controls are easy to reach and do not interfere with my playing style. Ergonomically, this is a well thought out arrangement. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I am sure that this guitar would withstand live playing. Although now retired, I still play daily at home and this is one well made instrument. The hardware is top notch with an excellent chrome finish and I especially like the individual saddles for each string which helps keep this Tele in tune at all times. I'd use this on a gig and would only bring a backup if I needed standard tuning of a stock 6 string. Since the finish is a urethane finish, it is more durable than the lacquer finishes on higher end guitars and less subject to checking and cracking. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly instrumentals by The Ventures, The Shadows, and a few I learned from Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits. This guitar has the drive necessary and yet can play clean tones without distortion when necessary. This guitar suppliments my Blacktop Stratocaster which I added a LACCE chrome dome sensor single coil pickup for an HSH combination, a Fullerton Movibe HH with twin Seymour Duncan P-Rails pickups, and a home built Strat with Duncan JB's all through a Fender Deluxe Reverb amp. If lost or stolen I'd buy a Fender Deluxe Telecaster. I like the aged cherry finish with pearloid pick guard and noiseless pickups. I compared this with G&L and Charvel and still like my Fender. For the Blacktop Telecaster, I wish it had a tremolo unit similar to the ones used on the vintage Mosrites. // 9

Blacktop Telecaster Reviewed by: SOlenik54, on september 02, 2016

Purchased from: Sweetwater

Features: I bought this in 2012, you know all of the features but mine has the rosewood neck and the silver finish. I immediately took it to my guitar guy and he put Fender locking tuners, replaced the nut with a bone nut, replaced the saddles with brushed Deluxe Fender saddles, replaced the knobs with traditional Fender knobs, and had him flip the control panel back around to a standard layout. HOWEVER, he had to route out a little bit of the wood for this to work as this body is not a traditional Tele body, the cut out needs a little bit of modification. However, the for what you get, and the quality of the guitar... (AND I READ THE GRIPING ABOUT THE 10/10 COMMENTS) but this guitar gets a 10 for its price range. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of different types of music as my tastes change a lot. It's not a noisy guitar, the pickups aren't crazy hot and you can easily back the volume down to get a nice clean sound as the pickups are very dynamic. The pickups are a bit muddy and I will be replacing them, which is the ONLY reason I'm bumping it down to an 8. Again, this is a $425 guitar. Do you really think they'd have pickups in them that cost as much as the guitar! I don't think this is fair, so I'm only bumping it to an 8, which is a A- in my book! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I have a very similar American Telecaster HH that's from the mid 2000's. This MIM Tele is a much nicer neck. The curve of the neck is awesome, the roll onto the fretboard is just right, and the fretwork didn't need any adjustment, which is amazing for a MIM guitar. The action was a little high, so I did have it lowered when I had it set up, but it's perfect now. Very nice. FOR THE PRICE, this is a 10/10. Even for a $800 guitar, this would be a 10/10. Around the $1200-$1600, it would fall to an 8. And that says a LOT. Also, I love this Tele because of the shape of the body, it has the curve like a Strat. All Tele's should have this! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I did not like the tuners, and I don't like plastic nuts. I would not trust either. Other than that, it would be a great guitar to buy as is and to play with, as long as you have a backup. However, this is where they saved their money, and again, this is a $425 guitar! As for the finish, this is that plastic-type dipped crap so of course it's going to last, it's just not going to wear like a polyurethane painted guitar. There weren't any bubble marks, but there is a drip streak across the back that you can barely see. Again, $425 guitar! // 8

Overall Impression: This is an awesome guitar, I like it better than my $1200 American Telecaster HH with very similar setup. If it was stolen, I'd definitely buy another. I have about $800 into it with the cost of the guitar and the options, but it's worth it and it's exactly how I like it. The ONLY thing that I wish was different is the tone of the wood in the headstock and back of neck. It's got that lighter wood color that does kind of look cheap, and doesn't look like a lot of traditional standard Tele's. This is a dead giveaway as to it being a lesser than American Made guitar. But other than that, I love this thing. // 10

Comments