Classic '60s Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Classic '60s Stratocaster

Purchased from: Private Sale

This guitar has an absolutely beautiful sound. I'm playing it through a Traynor YCV40 with a Boss DS-1 before the amp, and an Ibanez Chorus/Flanger and Delay in the effect loop. it's fair to say that this is the most versatile guitar I have ever played. The bridge pickup is extremely bright, and almost twangy, and in combination with my amp eq/overdrive and my DS 1, I can create a variety of searing lead tones and crunchy rhythms. The middle and neck pickups are somewhat warmer sounding, and playing with the tone controls, you can play anything from warm U2-style chords in One to thick creamy blues riffs. My only complaint would be the volume of the guitar. In comparison with my double-humbucker Ibanez, it is extremely quiet, and I need to dial up the volume on both the amp and guitar to about a 5 to get a decent volume to practice/jam. Mind you, the quality of the sound far outweighs how quiet it is.

Prior to buying this guitar, I was convinced that guitars were like tools, a good musician has a variety of guitars, each designed to fit a specific role that the musician needs. However, after getting this Strat, I am convinced that it is possible for someone to find "their" guitar, the guitar that suits the individual musician perfectly. In my case, I believe it is this Strat. It fits my body perfectly, and my musical style even better. I don't think I will be buying a new guitar anytime soon, and if I ever take my music anywhere successful, I can guarentee that this guitar will be right there with me.

This guitar seems as solid as any guitar could be. While I would never drop it, I feel like I could and would not have to be worried. I can't really comment on the strap buttons, as mine came with straplocks that were put on by the previous owner. I never gig without a backup, however, in a bind I know this guitar could get me through the night without any worries. Extremely dependable and solidly built.

I bought the guitar used, so the setup was perfect. The action was great, and the only complaint I had was that the strings had not been changed in about 4 years. The only cosmetic flaw was a small ding that was made by the previous owner, but otherwise it is perfect!

1999 model (First year it went into production I believe). 21 fret maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. Alder body in Lake Placid Blue with a Vintage style synchronized trem and Vintage style pickups, controls are a master volume and individual controls for tone on the neck and middle pickup. The neck is a fairly substantial C-shaped which is somewhat thick but fills the hand comfortably. Fender/Ping tuners.

shreddin_frets
    Stratmaster69
    if the guitar sounds great and plays great then it shouldnt matter whos name is on it, gibson or fender has no bearing on who should buy what, but rather what suits the person themselves choose the guitar. personally im not a huge fan of gibsons to begin with because they are heavy with bulky necks and their sound (although quite good) just doesnt fit my style so i chose a strat for my blues and country playing and an ibanez for my rock and metal playing because thats just what i find comfortable and good sounding for me
    hippieking24
    guitar_lvr
    Orneblad wrote: i don't know what to by: gibson les paul or fender strat? so hard!
    both are great, depends what kind of sound u want, more warm rock sound=les paul, blues rock/blues would be a strat or a telecaster
    goukaookami
    gibson or fender?it all depends if u want history, a show off guitar, or a really good guitar...my pick, the les paul
    ryleem
    totally agree that a guitar fits its player, i have a fender strat similar to this and when i play mine it just works with me! nice guitar, love the colour! im jealous! rock on x x x
    otherkid
    keen wrote: ^ me too simply because I don't want back problems later in life.
    Haha damn straight man, i hav to weigh my guitars cause i have neck and back problems already, and im just 13
    simpleman89
    well, ive go the best of both worlds, the Fender stratocaster, with all the unmistakable strat features, with a humbucker at the brigde, fo that les paul kind of sound, its a fender highway one fat strat, i would recomend it to any guitar player
    Guitar_Poet
    KsE_505 wrote: PRS dont really have too much of a small price tag compared to Gibsons. They are in a pretty close price range unless your getting the shittier ones
    i have a cheaper PRS and it sounds amazing. gibson les paul... overrated. i guess the strat is too. theyre both great guitars, but theres too much hype about them. id say, for a guitar... find one that feels right to you.. who cares what anyone else says, if you like how it feels/plays, then go with it... hopefully it has good sound too.... and as always, hopefully the price tag doesnt give you a heart attack =P
    bluesbarker
    Go Strat, they rock! Les pauls are heavy, strats you can take an axe to them and they're still fine!
    naganud
    It depends on the sound you want to get out of your guitar. If you play heavier stuff, you'll definitely want the Les Paul. If you don't care about heavy music I would suggest the Strat because they are much lighter, on your back and your wallet and I personally find them a bit easier to play. But, like I would also recommend you try a Schecter before making your decision. They make some of the more versatile guitars out there: they come with some very nice sounding humbuckers for crunchy rhythms and many feature a coil tap for that single coil sound. In addition, Schecters are also comparable to Strats in cost and weight.
    KsE_505
    Fame will come!
    I don't care what anyone says PRS have a great tone with a small price tag.Personally I think gibson is better if you have the bank account.
    thrashing4god
    I wouldn't choose les paul or strat, go with a SG. They are really light, and are masters of metal
    Mahoru
    ^ Mexico, but in fact this is a Vintage '62 body & neck with cheaper pickups, hardware and electronics, so once you've upgraded them, you have a Vintage '62 for a lot less money.
    andybene
    IDK I play a Strat and I am married to the tone. But hey mabey owning a LP on the side is a nice thing to OH LP's and Strats everybody loves those two classics.
    leondb
    Fender Strat. You don't have to break the bank buying the artist models to get great sound! Strats will keep your wallet intact and sound great. Where do Gibson Les Pauls start, over a grand?
    U B the band
    I personally like the Les Paul for the looks and the Strat sounds good but I will soon have a Schecter C-1 Elite Eletric Guitar, I don't know how they sound but I like their looks lol. It'll be in my hands in about one week.
    vanilla_ice_4
    fender's with seymour duncan hotrails pick-ups in the bridge fenders make the most comfortable guitars at reasonable prices...but i play heavier music and seymour duncan hotrail pickups almost sound active. if i had the money, i would go with PRS though. Fender feel with more of a gibson sound.
    Joey_67
    haha back problems...well i dont really mind the wight of les pauls and they are making some lighter these a days ...i wanna get a les paul or a rhodes those guitars are made for rock dfont get me wrong strats blow me out of the water
    sexmeister
    I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYD IBANEZ AND GIBSON AND WASHBURN R THE BEST FUCKIN GUITARS IN THE WORLD FENDERS SUCK MY HAIRY ASSHOLE
    RedHotNirv0920
    Guitar_Poet
    like i said before, just go with the guitar that feels right to you. personally that would be either a PRS or an Ibanez. =P
    Csquared1001
    Les paul custom would be a wiser choice over a strat of the same level(custom shop)since it sounds better with distortion and much brighter with clean. It also looks better. Strats are so cliche
    steveoondyou
    nobody says Ibanez, I am disappointed. They are cheap and have served me well. I have a Giger Edition Iceman right now and love it. I wouldn't recommend a les paul simply because they are expensive and you can put your money towards other things (pedals, amps, energy drinks, jerky). Fender is over-rated in my opinion and is just not made for heavier stuff. I like my Iceman because it sounds beautiful and plays extremely heavy. If you feel obliged to spend the money though, sure, a les paul is a great guitar. One of the best. So, go to the store and play em all, find one you like, and spend some hard earned cash. Pace.
    Bob_Sagget
    hippieking24 to me, too many people play the strats and les pauls and SGs. my pick for a guitar is a telecaster or a firebird, but this is a purely awesome guitar
    exactly, finally somebody gets it!!!!!
    Stelios_thEdge
    Get Your self to a shop and try both of them.That's what i did...The result?I worked the wqhole Summer 24/7 and i Bought An American deluxe strat and a Les Paul standart.I love them both!!If you want my advice get yourself. . .a good tube amp cause without it you shall buy an epiphone. . .
    whencowsfart101
    whencowsfart101 wrote: shreddin_frets wrote: Personally, I don't like Fenders. Actually I kinda despise them. I play Dean guitars, because they're fast and extremly durable. Plus I'm a Diehard Dimebag fan. The only Fender I ever played was the autographed one in the Hard Rock Vault (london) that belonged to John Frusciante and it sucked!
    JACKSONS FOR LIFE
    whencowsfart101
    Bob_Sagget
    RedHotNirv0920 : All I keep hearing is how strats aren't good for heavy stuff. Metal of course not but look at stuff Nirvana. Kurt Cobain preferred strats, jags, and mustangs. Also the les paul seems to have become the emo kids guitar of choice so i try to steer clear of it. Honestly though the strat gives anything you want, you can make it sound like rock and roll or make it sound bluesy. oh and Ibanez isnt that bad too, i have on and the thing has taken a beating and no one can tell =)
    All of his mustangs were RRREEEAAALLLYYY Fuckin' moded
    Bob_Sagget
    tommilee wrote: Jackson Beats All!!! Epic Fail. This may be the best guitar I have, and it's not light blue, it looks like Ocean water. And maybe he's not cranking it because he doesn't want OD/ Narrow-minded.
    actually u both fail jackson is fender and all the big endorsers that made it legendary acctually used fuzz and overdrive. Ex. Jimi, Clapton, SRV. Must i go on.
    minchew
    Try shecters. I let my "country" friend play my damien 6, and now he won't even touch his American strat or tele.
    dickgitaar
    Well played,a real 62 vintage strat for nearly 40 years sold it and wanted again a strat. Tried a 1996 standard, a few other ones ( all USA), but they didn't gave me the feel of my old one... SURPRISE surprise, I just ran into a cheapo mexican classic 60.....It does the job !! Neck feels OK though a bit to glossy, but that will change. No nitro laquer, Ok, but the things sounds and plays amazingly like my old buddy and that for peanuts. Don't tell me I'm a novice, collect and play all kinds of topguitars. Lots of real vintage stuff too ( 60's SG's, &0 LP, ^( Tele), but to say that a Classic 60 Mexican strat is only for beginners...NO WAY, at least mine sings and plays like a big boy. Chapeau for Fender
    lespaul#1
    tommilee wrote: Jackson Beats All!!!
    clawsofsteel
    "...I need to dial up the volume on both the amp and guitar to about a 5 to get a decent volume to practice/jam." why the **** aren't you cranking it to 11.... or maybe 10.
    Bluestube
    super_strat_man wrote: Strats were used by some of the greatest guitarists to ever live! Look at Eric Clapton, Eric Johnson, EVH used a strat body, SRV, John Lennon, Lead guitarist of U2,David Gilmour,George Harrison,Jimi Hendrix,Pete Townshend,and Ronnie Wood. Honestly, Strats set the standard for all guitars.
    The Edge=lead guitarist for U2