Classic Player '50s Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Classic Player '50s Stratocaster

Price paid: £ 499.99

Purchased from: McCormacks

I play mostly blues-rock, like Rory Gallagher and some stuff like Thin Lizzy and Deep Purple too. It does really give a nice kick, very Stratish, as you'd expect. Dare I say it, I run this through a Marshall Guv'nor II, then a Zoom 4040, which I use to get a slight overdrive, then a... Marshall MG50DFX. Not the best setup in the world, but I spent quite a bit of money, and it sounds pretty decent now anyways. It's not noisy, which I was a tad shocked at, expecting it to have that single coil noisyness. It gives a nice, bright sound on the bridge pickup, and a hollow sound on the neck pickup. I don't use the middle pickup that often, but it sounded nice aswell. Quite versitile, but it can't do very heavy stuff without a lot of gain.

I play blues-rock, as stated above, and it is a good match. I've been playing for almost 3 years now, most likley at a intermedite level or something, and yeah. I own a Vintage V100, and I thought that was a brilliant guitar until I played this. If it was stolen, I would probably just get my Dad to buy me a new one (at knife point, of course). I did compare it to the Classic Player '60s Strat, but I prefer the maple fretboards, and the 2 tone sunburst. Still a good guitar though. You should defenatly try this guitar, if you're looking for a nice guitar with a lowish budget. Overall, a brilliant guitar!

It will withstand Live playing easily, I think. I've only had it for a few days now, but still, everything seems as if it is built to last a lifetime. It comes with a years warranty aswell, so that if it breaks, they fix it/give you a new one for free! Huzzah! I would use it at a gig without a backup, but sadly, I'd have too, because if I broke a string, it would take ages to put another one on. The finish will last, and it looks good too!

This guitar is set up perfectly, everything seemed ok. The action is nice and low, with no fret buzz, and the pickups were adjusted to give the optimum output. The bridge was routed properly, and there was no flaws really. Apart from a little tiny crack underneath the bridge, but that's it really.

This guitar was made in 2007, I believe. 21 medium jumbo frets on a maple fretboard, which is polished untill it reflects stuff. It's got a alder body, 2 tone sunburst aswell, which I myself find better than the 3 tone sunburst. Normal 'syncronised tremelo' which does not go out of tune easily, even after you do some crazy stuff like Ritchie Blackmore on it. 1 volume knob and 2 tone knobs, do the same thing as any other Strat really. 3 single coils pickups, 'USA Vintage' ones, and they sound better than the 'Classic Series' pickups. Locking Fender/Gotoh tuners; they are quite annoying to change strings, but you get used it, and hey, at least your guitar doesn't go out of tune. It came with a Fender Deluxe Gig Bag and I got a few picks aswell, but that was the shop! It also has aged pickup covers and knob controls, but I'm changing them to white ones, to make it look Brand New.

Gryphon999
    Lil Macker
    Gryphon999 wrote: Why do many ppl have those Marshall MG's??? I only read bad things about them... Nice review
    Yeah, I forgot to mention I should be getting a VC30 soon.
    The_String_Man wrote: price?
    About $800 in the USA, 350-500 in Britain!
    Indri
    I buyed this one a few days ago. This guitar is really awesome!
    ArcherTheVMan
    ArcherTheVMan wrote: Gh. wrote: This is a MIM strat, isn't it? it's nothing like an MIM strat!
    ignore me i'm being a douche...
    Lil Macker
    It is a MIM Strat, just the highest end of them. They play like the American ones really.
    Spremuta
    just bought one of this for 500 (used but like new), i like the sound and the strato feel!!