Classic Player Jaguar Special review by Fender

Fender: Classic Player Jaguar Special

Purchased from: Sam Ash

I play lots of blues and jazz, as well as some rock. I hook it with a Peavey bass amp. In the lead circuit with the tone selector in the up position, I can get a nice bluesy twang. In the rythym circuit I have been able to get some nice Acoustic tones, as well as some good distortion without too much tone. The pickups make almost no noise and have a wide variety of sounds.

I play lots of jazzy stuff, and some bluesy rock so I find this guitar to be a good match for my playing style. The only style of music I wouldn't really recommend it for would be metal, although it does get some good distorted sounds. I just love all the controls, and the way it sounds. My favorite thing about it is probably the bodies shape. It makes it very comfortable to play while sitting down. If somebody stole this I would definately buy another one.

This guitar seems very durable, but I haven't had it long enough to drop on the floor yet. The finish seems like it will last for a few years to come, and the strap buttons are on pretty strong. All the hardware seems pretty solid, and I would definetly bring this guitar to gig without a backup.

The action, and the pickup height was set up perfectly at the factory. All the electronics worked, except for the rhythm circuit switch, which was acting more like a kill Switch until I brought it back to Sam Ash to get fixed. One of the white inlays on the bridge is also slightly misaligned, but other than that I have had no real problems with this guitar.

I purchased this guitar about a month ago from Sam Ash. It came with a gig bag and two allen wrenches. + Made in Mexico in 2008 + 22 medium jumbo frets. + Alder body, and a maple "c" shape neck. + 3 color sunburst finish + Jaguar offset body + Adjusto-matic bridge with Vintage style floating tremelo tailpiece and tremelo lock button. + One volume knob, and one tone knob for the lead circuit. One on-off Switch for each pickup, and a two position tone Switch. One Circuit selector Switch and one volume and one tone roller for rhythm circuit. + It comes with 2 Special Design Hot Jaguar Single-Coil Pickups. + None locking Fender tuners. + Gig bag, and two allen wreches, one for adjusting intonation, and one for the truss rod.

SeanX3187
    i like the jazzmaster more than the HH jag. essentially the same guitar, but i love p90-like pickups. but i think i would pick the single coil version of the jag just because i have a gibson sg with humbuckers and i'd like to have a good single coil guitar (instead of my garbage squier tele)
    hazuing
    Great guitar. Just a shame that it's my friend's, and not mine. I'll definitely be getting one I think. Also, did I see someone call the whammy bar a 'tremolo bat'? Hahah, that's got me laughing hehe When I first started playing guitar, I never intended or expected to be a Fender fanboy, but right now I own a Tele, and want a Mustang and a Jag. Maybe a Jazzmaster as well. Damn, Leo, why'd you have to make such lovely guitars?!
    grungelive72
    j-e-f-f-e-r-s wrote: Interesting guitar. Already got one Jag, thinking of getting anohter in future. One question however to anyoen who's got one of these guitars: Does the tune-o-matic bridge cause tuning/string-breaking problems when the tremolo bat is used? As much as people bitch about the old Jag bridge, at least when set up properly the bridge moved with the trem, to avoid scraping the strings. As far as I can tell, the bridge on this guitar is screwed into the guitar proper, and without roller saddles of any kind, I can't see how the strings would survive heavy trem use without breaking. Anyone got any comments on that?
    It's very tune o matic esque, but it's not really. The bridge does move with the trem movements, and I've bent the trem as far as it can go and it hasn't broken one string yet. It also stays in tune really well. However, the trem isn't really for divebombs, just for some light vibrato.
    grungelive72
    I have the HH version of this thing and it's incredible. The tonal possibilities (Grunge, surf, reggae, ska, rock, alternative, almost anything) are endless and the neck is a pleasure to play on. Easily the best guitar I own.
    celticstorm84
    Awesome guitar. With all the knobs and switches you feel like you're at Mission Control with the thing! Love these things.
    j-e-f-f-e-r-s
    KTFM
    Played a legit '62 Jag today... So goood. But I guess I'll have to aim for this one because it's more realistic...
    Jet Jefferson
    I've had mine for just over two years now. I play it at band practice twice a week and gig two or three times a month. It still has the factory strings (which I'm about to change) which are superb. I bought a case as I was't happy spending that amount of money on a guitar and only getting a gig bag. When it comes out the case it is still in tune. It is by far the best guitar I have owned. Don't bother with the HH, if you want humbuckers buy a gibson.
    hardrox
    Man I love the sound of this guitar. From my view this is the best guitar i've played.
    ParasiticTwins
    SeanX3187 wrote: i like the jazzmaster more than the HH jag. essentially the same guitar, but i love p90-like pickups.
    As far as i'm aware, they're just wide single coils, not p90's.
    whysky
    maybe i'll get one of these at guitar center i love the red finish
    yadneerg2
    i agree with SeanX3187. Its a simplified Jazzmaster, and I personally think the Jazzmaster sounds and feels better.
    roundwoundsound
    fives+sevens wrote: j'adore fender jags! i'd have to get maself one of the double humbucker models though methinks.
    +1,i've always wanted the HH model over this one.
    fives+sevens