Classic Player Jaguar Special review by Fender

Fender: Classic Player Jaguar Special

Purchased from: T.R. Music Birmingham

I first brought this guitar for indie/pop and surfy stuff. Soon progressed onto shoegaze and now a blend of that, punk, grunge and noise. I feel it fits all these things well. I love the neck pickup but personally find the bridge pickup far too harsh and weedy. I use with a Marshall Shredmaster, EHX HOG, Boss RV-5 amongst a lot of other pedals into a '78 Fender Pro Reverb.

I have had to change somethings about this guitar to make it feel perfect for me. After the trem system broken I replaced with a staytrem (same system that's on the Johnny Marr sig) which I LOVE! I also changed the volume and tone knobs for Telecaster ones, I think they love better, and as I do a lot with volume rolls, they just feel loads better to me. If it was stolen or lost I'd definitely get another Jag. Since playing this guitar I cannot feel as comfortable with anything else, I never pick up any of my other guitars. It would obviously look a lot nicer with a coloured headstock like the old Japanese ones, so that's one feature I would like. As I've mentioned earlier I'm not fond of the bridge pickup so will be replacing it with a Quarter Pounder pick up. With all those mods finished I'll never want another guitar again, it'll make an amazing guitar completely perfect.

Definitely withstands live playing! I've had some issues with things breaking but you can tell by the chips and dents that it's been fully put through it's places. After lending it to a friend the trem arm started unscrewing the actual inside of the bridge, it must of been screwed in too tight and come undone. This had to be replaced. I changed the strap buttons for strap locking ones and they seem to be working there way loose now, I have to keep tightening them up.

When I first purchased the guitar the bridge was put on wrong at the factory creating a lot intonation issues. The shop sent it back and it got corrected but took over a month to return back to me, although this is obviously a mistake and not a general problem with the guitar. I suppose it just demonstrates some of the quality control in the Mexican factory. Besides that problem there is nothing else to grumble about. Action is fine and it feels great to play.

I think I brought the guitar in 2010 and it's made in Mexico. Factory standard features are: - 22 medium jumbo frets. - Red, Alder body, and a maple "c" shape neck. - Standard Jag tailpiece with an adjusto-matic bridge and a screw in trem arm. - Standard controls and wiring for a Jaguar. - 2 Special Design HOT Jaguar Single-Coil Pickups. - None locking Fender tuners. - Gig bag, and two allen keys.

pinloc
    Hi, Just put together a loaded CP Mex Jaguar body, single coils, and a Jazznmaster mex neck. Fitted new roller bridge to correct scale, set of 10's - sweet. Bridge fits, slight overlap on trem plate but is set high enough to clear. Has better voice with longer scsle.
    harrybougard
    what you think about this guitar to play some psychedelic rock, like Pink Floyd or Tame Impala? or which one you think would be better for that kind of music?