Custom Telecaster FMT HH review by Fender

Fender: Custom Telecaster FMT HH

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

This Tele does anything you want it to do. The weight (heavy for a Fender) and the maple top allow for wonderfully smooth tone. I love tapping on this guitar, the jumbo frets make the notes nice and clear and loud. This Telecaster is loud regardless if it is plugged in or not; the set neck allows for a lot of resonance.

I play Indie, metal, hardcore, classic rock and sometimes jazz, these humbuckers are absolutely perfect for just about any style of music. I play throught a Fender Deluxe Hot Rod w/a Boss Metal Zone and a DigiTech RP80. If this guitar was stolen I think I would just buy the blue version of itself. I mostly compare this to other Telecasters, mostly because the twang is nonexistent but the tone completely leaves others in its wake.

I have used this guitar live. I didn't need think I would need to use a backup and lo and behold; I didn't have to. The versatility of the guitar allows for hours and hours of jamming. Also, the guitar goes down to drop tunings excellently. For example, I played on my friend's Les Paul (not a super top-of-the-line one, mind you but a Gibson nonetheless) while it was in drop C, and the strings seemed loose and slack compared to the performance of this Telecaster.

I thought the action on this guitar was perfect. The jumbo frets make it more likely to play easier with ten gauge strings; so it worked out wonderfully with a slightly high but convienient action. I think the only thing that bugs me about this guitar is that I think the bridge humbucker is adjusted a little too high for my liking, but it was a screw here and a screw there and all was well and right again. Other than the one pickup, I found that the 3-way selector worked wonderfully and was nice and unnoticeably silent.

The fret count on this baby is 22 jumbo, with mother o pearl moon inlays. The FMT in the name stands for flamed maple top, (took me forever to figure that one out) which is maple on top of a mahogany body and neck. The set neck gives a nice solid feeling that should be essential to any and all guitars. Its a string through body even though there is not a floating bridge, and there is no back panel in conjuction with the strings. The guitar has a three-way pickup selector with one volume knob and one tone knob. The tele came with two Seymour Duncan humbuckers and nonlocking tuners. I think my guitar playing will soon involve a guitar with a floyd rose system, because this Telecaster just doesnt really cut it as far as heavy metal goes. All in all, the Telecaster FMT is awesome and very versatile.