Deluxe Players Strat review by Fender

Fender: Deluxe Players Strat

Purchased from: Larry's Music Center

I play literally everything I can, in terms of style and instruments. This was my first strat, and it's perfect. I've gone from playing funk to dialing in the perfect EVH "brown sound." I've played clean blues, and anything I can think of. I'm mostly playing through a Line 6 Spider, with my effects running into that. The only thing I haven't tried is metal, but I've got other guitars for that.

This guitar is now my main guitar. I play everything from hard rock to funk, and it works for it all. Most everybody loves it, and I would definitely replace it. The guitar feels perfect to me, it's durable, it's versatile. The only thing I'll change about it is I *might* put a Super Vee in it when I get some more money, simply because it makes it easier for me to do everything I do. With my tuning procedure, the guitar goes out of tune when I bend, which I do a lot of (it goes back in tune with a divebomb). Having a supervee would just make it easier to play like I normally do.

The only problem I've had with it so far is that it went out of tune until I made my own changes to the setup. I've played it live twice since I got it, and it's never been a problem. I've replaced the strap buttons with Fender (Schaller) straplocks, not because the originals were faulty, but because I just like to have them on.

I had the guitar set up when I got it, and I removed two of the springs from the back. Everything was fine with this guitar when I got it. It is beat up, simply because it's used. There's finish coming off the neck and body, but that's how I like my guitars!

First: I bought this guitar used. It's had its fair share of changes the last owner routed out the space for a humbucker (put a Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge), and added a coil tap. I've dated it to either 1999 or 1990. I'm going to ask the original owner if he knows if I can get ahold of him, but. 4-ply brown shell pickguard 12" neck radius Modern C-shaped maple neck 21 medium-jumbo frets Gold-plated hardware 3 Vintage Noiseless single-coil pickups Push-button Switch activates bridge pickup in positions 4 and 5 of blade Switch for 7 pickup configurations Vintage-style synchronized tremolo Vintage-style tuners