Deluxe Stratocaster SSS Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Fender: Deluxe Stratocaster SSS
 1,526
review (1) pictures (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Deluxe Stratocaster SSS Reviewed by: Dirty_Civilian, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar was made in 2007 in the U.S.A. It has a 22 fret solid Maple Neck and fretboard, V-Neck shape and Jumbo Fretsm, it also has locking strap buttons. The body is made from 3 different Alder slabs, and is coated in a two burst finish. It has a 2 point bridge with individually adjustable string saddles. It has 3 passive SCN pickups, so even at high volume it won't hum annoyingly. It has one Volume and two Tones, and a 5-way blade Switch. It also features the relatively new S-1 Switch, which allows you to connect the pickups in series, giving it a more humbucker sound. It has Fender Locking Tuners and it came with a hard case, and lots of different allen keys. // 8

Sound: This guitar is one of the most versatile guitars I've played. You are able to get a thicker humbucker sound out of the Single Coil pick ups by engaging the S-1 Switch located on the volume knob, all very discreet. I've been using it with my Orange Tiny Terror Combo amp, and I can get tons and tons of tones out of it. Even though you can get a humbucker like sound out of this, I wouldn't recommend playing metal on this, because it will still have that bouncy, bright sound a the Fender Stratocaster is renowned for. This guitars real was almost meant for rhythm and quick little licks on a clean setting. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where this guitar falls short. I've never been able to get rid of the fret buzz with this guitar. It wasn't noticeable when I first bought it. After a couple days thought I noticed tons of buzz. I figured it was just it adjusting to the climate, so I took it to my tech and he couldn't figure it out either. It wasn't coming through on the amp, so I kept it anyways because I loved the feel of it. The pick ups are great on this thing, and I would recommend them to anyone looking for new Fender pick ups, that being said the soldering job inside came loose on the neck pick up, so I didn't have any sound from it for a time. The bridge itself had nothing wrong with it, I would push the bar down as far as I could and it would always go back in pitch - odd for non locking trem. One of the tone knobs sticks at the 10 position, which won't do for rolling off the tone in a Live situation. I've also been having trouble with the strings vibrating behind the nut, because the nut wore down after I detuned it for a set of songs. I will be replacing it shortly. // 3

Reliability & Durability: The guitar itself was a solid piece of equipment, and I know it will stand up to any punishment I give out. The hardware seems solid enough as well. The strap buttons are great, since they are able to lock around the strap. I would definitely take a back up if I were to go gigging, knowing this thing has given me tons of trouble in the past. The finish is definitely reliable; I haven't dented or scratched it yet, and it looks gorgeous. // 6

Overall Impression: I play a lot of classic rock, and this guitar suit's it fine. I've only been playing for about 3 years, but I know what I like and I don't. Over the time though I've accumulated some Orange amps, a Line 6 Spider III, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Crybaby Wah and some other effect pedals I don't usually use. If this were lost I'd probably look for something else that isn't a Fender, just because of the bad experience I've had with this one. I love the look and tone of this guitar, and how it stays in tune when I use the vibrato heavily, but other than that the guitar has pretty much gotten on my last nerves. One cool feature though is the S-1 Switch, which gives you tons of versatility. I compared this with other strats when I bought this, and at the time, I thought it would turn out to be a good guitar, and it probably will be one day after I mod and swap out all the bit's and pieces that seem to be malfunctioning on it. // 6

Comments