Duo Sonic review by Fender

Fender: Duo Sonic

Purchased from: used of CL

Personally I just love Fender guitars. I love the Fender sound. All but one of my guitars have single coils, none of them are noisy, but I don't play at too high of volumes. This guitar has hot pickups that deliver a nice bluesy tone from the bridge. Because of the short scale it sounds much thicker than similar guitars. Even though it has a smaller than normal body it has a very full tone, especially from the neck pick up. It has the most thick/full sound I've ever heard from single coils. Again, this guitar is not versatile, but what it does, it does well. The bridge is good for leads, the neck is great for rhythm. I mainly play rhythm and sing so it suits my needs well. I would give the sound a higher rating if it didn't lack versatility, because as I said it has a great tone.

I like this guitar a lot, mainly for practice though. I play some songs on it, but the main thing I do with it is practice unplugged. I like how it's light and has a small neck. I've found this has improved the accuracy of my fretting hand quite a lot. When I pick up a full size guitar the frets feel so easy to hit, they're all so big in comparison. If this were lost/stolen I probably wouldn't replace it since I'd have to get the Squire model for like $300 which is a rip off in comparison to the deal I got on this. I love the neck though. If you have small hands or skinny fingers the neck is just a dream. I'm not going to comment on things like "anything you wish it had" because you gotta take the good with the bad and I wouldn't want this guitar any other way. It's silly to even think of it being something else.

The guitar is 15 years old, completely stock, and everything functions properly. The finish is still pristine. I'd have to say it's a very durable guitar. Everything on it is solid. I'd feel confident playing it without a back up but never would since I have quite a few other guitars.

Well I got this guitar used and it was 15 years old so I can't comment on the factory set up. The finish was still intact with no nicks or scratches. It's plain black which I'm not too into but it's not worn or anything. I can say mine has a nice low action, the lowest of any MiM Fender I've played, and has no fret buzz. The pickups are placed fine. My G string is getting the most minor buzz from the bridge or saddle not sure which but hopefully I'll fix that next time I restring, it doesn't really occur unless I'm playing chords and playing hard so it's not really a big issue. The neck is great, it's the main reason I bought the guitar and there was really no fret ware at all. Very smooth neck. I have real skinny fingers so the short scale suits me well. Since I bought this I've been scouring the internet trying to find other 3/4 scale necks so I can put them on other guitars.

I purchased the MiM version that was produced in the early nineties. This guitar is pretty basic. It's got a master tone and volume. It has two hot single coil pick ups. It has a three was selector which is Gibson style rather than your typical Fender switch. The guitar has a 3/4 scale Maple neck with 21 frets. It also has a Mustang style body, but it's not as thick as a normal Fender guitar body. It's not too versatile of a guitar, but I bought it mainly for the neck so that doesn't really matter.