Eric Clapton Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Eric Clapton Stratocaster

I play mostly blues and rock but do play some hard rock. The EC Strat plays all three genres perfectly. The thing sounds like a classic Strat. Until you slip into mid-range boost mode. Then the guitar takes on new dimensions. Particularly when using a good tube/valve amp. The mid-range boost is controlled from the second tone knob and provides gradual increments in mid-range boost. For example, roll the knob to 3 and the boost just starts, crank it to full and the Strat takes on Les Paul like tones and makes your tube amp thicken and fatten.

For the style of music I play being blues and classic style rock I found this guitar to be excellent. Its classic V shaped neck goes perfectly well with its low action playability. I've been playing for 5 years and this is easly the best guitar I have baught in my 5 years of playing. If this guitar was ever lost or stolen I would buy a new one without thinking about it. I love the tone this guitar gets making it go from a classic strat to a les paul in tone. If I could change anything about this guitar id change the pick guard because its only single ply and it tends to lift up which gets annoying when playing. My favorite feature of this guitar is the pick ups they give it a vintage sound which you can't find much anymore. When I went to buy a new guitar I tried out a les paul standard, Gibson ES335 and this Stratocaster and the Strat out played out sounded and just out classed the other two and also was about 1300 dollars cheaper. I recommend this guitar to anyone who wants to have a guitar that sounds like liquid gold.

This guitar is defently built to last. when I braught it home I played it for 5 hours straight and when I stopped it didnt look like I touched it. I haven't had to tune it since I first did. The strap buttons are solid but I still use strap locks just incase. I would bring this to a show without a backup its just so vercitile. The hasn't chipped and I've abused it. Overall I think this is the best guitar I have ever baught.

The action can be set very low without buzzes, which indicates the quality of the fretwork and the neck alignment. It just feels great to play. You'll notice a difference if you have always played '62 style rosewood necks, which are flatter across the back and more, curved across the front. Like everything, its what you get used to, but this EC neck is smooth and full of big bends and quick passes.

The model I baught was a 2005 and was in a satin black which looks quite impressive. It has 22 frets which were set very well with no protruding parts or glue. The body is made of Alder making it light but gives it great tone. It has a one piece maple neck with the classic 50s soft "V" shape. It has three "noiseless" pickups which give it no feedback which is great.

stratmanjay3000
    ok first of all.. i want to know where the ***k he got this guitar for that price. and second of all, if the pickguard starts to "lift up" when playing, my advice would be to either: a) tighten the screws OR b) lay off the crack.
    AleX.
    You bought a fender stratocaster signature for only 790$ !!!
    logger
    Big sigh. You BOUGHT an Eric Clapton Stratocaster not BAUGHT.
    srv34
    I for somereason was unable to access my account for the last five months(my computers pretty brutal and has a few viruses). I bought it at Long and Mcquade for 1000 because a Family friend runs that place and he gave me a deal it wasnt 750 I ment to put 1750 which is the price for brand new ones. I gave it a lower rating because i had pick up problems which I couldn't describe but now I believe the bridge pickup was unwinding. the pickguard was rising because it had stripped screws, I was not on crack as stratmanjay3000 had said. I also realise I'm terrible with words and a horrible speller so my appologises.
    ClaypoolWooten
    dmc92484
    Dude, really? You're trying to call someone out and then you write something like that? Your grammar is just as bad.
    matttt
    logger wrote: Big sigh. You BOUGHT an Eric Clapton Stratocaster not BAUGHT.
    BerylStrat
    who gives a S*** about spelling some people can and some people cant and with the pick gaurd its the single ply pickgaurds that warp so if it annoys you that much get a 3 ply or something
    Tone Driver
    Here's something to think about Both the John Mayer Strat and the Eric Clapton strat Have amazing sound ... John mayer was influenced by Clapton so you think the pick ups would be similar ... Claptons has Fender Noiseless Pick ups with mid range boost and JM's has Fender Big dippers... Big dippers are custom wound and have "scooped" low mid range. Now I'm not sure what I want.
    Tone Driver
    Here's something to think about.... Both the Clapton Strat and the John Mayer Strat have amazing sound JM was influenced by clapton and you would think the guitars would have a similar tone. Claptons strat has Fender Noiseless pup's with mid range boost - JM's Has Fender Big Dippers with "scooped" mid range. the complete opposite .... does anyone know what you can expect to pay for a 3set of the fender Noisless pup's in Claptons guitar ?
    Gilmourisagod
    strength118 wrote: I guess he meant 1790 ..
    I agree, either that or if it was an actual Clapton blackie, in the region of $7900. I mean to put into perspective, I paid $4,926.07 US (3100 UK) for my Gilmour relic black strat: http://i29.tinypic.com/2hyb7tl.jpg
    dogsbrekky
    Played the 2012 "Blackie" copy at the local Sam Ash, dream guitar for a Strat, that dbx boost and vintage noiseless Pups sound great.... even liked the V shaped neck although it felt strange after playing the normal 9" Std Strat. For me this is the best quality / value guitar that Fender makes for my style of music...
    Taskar7
    i found one today for $700... going to check it out and make sure i is in good shape and the year,,,....:
    7thhell
    Yeah. I've got a Mexican Strat and the pickguard is "lifting up" too. And the screws wont tighten because it's stripped out. I guess I can use bigger screws. But anyway, I sure do love the sound of a Strat.
    CorkHunter
    you bought a eric clapton sig fender strat for 790 and you only give it 9.6?! if i got it for that price i'd rate it 11/10
    digman50
    [quote]ClaypoolWooten wrote: matttt wrote: logger wrote: Big sigh. You BOUGHT an Eric Clapton Stratocaster not BAUGHT. i know spelling and grammar seems to disappear these days its all "wat" instead of "what" that really boils my piss Me too, especially sense you didn't capitalize your "I" and had know puncuation. If your gonna complain do it right./quote] And you're all puctuating wrong because when you quote someone you are meant to use: 'quote' not "quote"
    MatthewT385
    ClaypoolWooten wrote: matttt wrote: logger wrote: Big sigh. You BOUGHT an Eric Clapton Stratocaster not BAUGHT. i know spelling and grammar seems to disappear these days its all "wat" instead of "what" that really boils my piss Me too, especially sense you didn't capitalize your "I" and had know puncuation. If your gonna complain do it right. You spelled "know" wrong and it's "going to," gonna isn't a word. It's spelt, not spelled. My oh My
    MaartenNijmeije
    Don't forget that it has to be a Japanese for 700, they made a series too. Good guitar, check wikipedia on it. Very similar to a american in one difrence: it sucks in quality. Mine will be american and expensive but I want quality!
    Tommywalker27
    Where in god's name did you get one of these for 790!!?!?! Was it a sh-tty year model or something?
    jsurf06
    such a sick guitar. i have a green one that i love almost more than my mother
    Bardock
    I have one of this me too, and I have to say I love it. This was my first guitar ever, and I don't think I will ever go away from it.
    TheGuitarDreams
    And you meant to say "since" right? But anyway I wouldn't mind checking this one out, Clapton is God after all.
    Floyd1122
    I would love one of these. Wondering why he only gave the impression an 8, however...
    soul_power
    I got mine 2 days ago and let me tell you its THE SEX. I dont know why it didnt get all 10's. The tone is just spot on and the pups dont hum. Action is so low and it plays like a dream.
    jv_music
    Uhhh...dont they cost about $1500? Damnit...I'm debating over whether I like this one more or the John Mayer strat.
    srv34
    I'm not sure actually the one i own is the only one I've ever seen or had the pleasure to play, If your thinking about the mayer its a good choice same colour as the srv but i do believe they have different pickups, i like the stevie ray vaughan texis pickups better then the standard fender used ones.
    Blind In 1 Ear
    the only problem i see with the clapton sig is that it only comes with a maple fretboard. im not a fan of those.
    Eponymous
    1. keep the comments on topic, please. no need to comment just to flame people's spelling/grammar. 2. i, too, would like to know where you got such a guitar for that low price, srv34. 3. capitalization is unnecessary. claypoolwooten, you have so many errors in your spelling that i hope you are joking. (*since, *no, *punctuation, *you're). just horrible.
    dadudeguy
    srv34 wrote: I for somereason was unable to access my account for the last five months(my computers pretty brutal and has a few viruses)....
    P*RN!!! this guitar pwns
    Happy Meal
    You spelled "know" wrong and it's "going to," gonna isn't a word.