Eric Johnson Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Eric Johnson Stratocaster

I like to play a large variety of styles with tones to match. I can get anything from Eric to Stevie Ray to Andy Summers to Angus Young, Jimmy Page, Alex Lifeson, Steve Howe; the possibilities are limitless. I truly believe that it's possible to make a Strat sound like a Les Paul, but not the other way around. I play the guitar through a DigiTech GNX4 multi-effects unit into a Fender Twin Reverb '65 reissue. I have to say that the sound of the Strat straight into the Reverb is about the purest twangy/blues tone that you could ever hope to achieve. This guitar is truly alive on every fret/string. I have a nice Brian Moore I9.13 that I typically have avoided playing in the higher registers because I find the tone a little flat/muted compared to the rest of the neck. Not so with this Strat. The guitar is very bright/punchy yet warm all over the neck. The only negative is that it does have a background hum if you don't mute the strings at high volume, but this is easily controlled by the player and probably isn't noticeable to the average listener only to gearheads like me.

I have always wanted a Fender Strat since I was first playing, but I'm glad I have waited long enough to get this model. At first glance, it doesn't really stand out as different from other Strats, but as you play it and begin to pay attention to the subtle details, you realize that is probably the most refined, precise "players" Strat yet made. It's probably one of the best values in custom guitar available from a major guitar manufacturer. I would definitely buy another one if it was lost/stolen. I can't think of one unique feature that sets it apart. It's the sum of all the little details that make this instrument so sublime.

It's a Fender Strat, so it's obviously going to be durable. I'll probably eventually replace the strap holders with strap loks, but for now they are acceptable. I'm trying to take good care of the guitar and not scratch it up, but I know eventually it will happen and I'm not worried about it because the guitar will continue to sound great, even improving as time passes.

The guitar came ready to play, perfectly intontated and setup straight out of the box. I have been playing it for two days and have encountered no problems that needed adjusting.

Presumably made in 2006. Made in USA. It has a two piece alder body (a lighter wood than the typical Ash), and a maple neck with 21 jumbo frets. It is finished in very fine coating of nitrocellulose which was one of the many specific customizations that Eric Johnson required. Nitrocellulose is the best finish available to enhance the resonance of the guitar and it will only improve with age. The body is essentially the Standard Strat shape although I have read that the back and arm contours are deeper than standard for more comfort. The bridge is flush with the body and the tremolo comes stock with 5 springs so that finger bends won't make the other strings (especially open strings) go out of tune. The bridge/tremolo don't have any paint on them so they resonate more. The neck pickup is based on a 54 Strat which gives it a 50s twangy tone, the middle pickup is based on an early 60s with reverse winding to give hum cancellation in the 2nd/4th pickup positions, and the bridge pickup is based on a 50s pickup but with extra windings to make the volume equal to the other pickups. The tone controls are wired to the neck and bridge pickups. The angle of the back of the headstock is different to allow removing the string trees that are normally on strats. This removes one potential binding point from the string path and helps keep the guitar in tune. The neck design is based on Eric's '57 Strat, which gradually transitions from a shallow 'V' shape at the first fret to a wider 'C' shape at the 12th fret. The neck itself is one piece of quarter-sawn maple, so the neck grain matches the body grainthe idea is to get more resonance. The fretboard is pretty flat for a Strat [12" radius], with 21 jumbo frets, which allows you to set the action lower and stretch the strings without fretting out.

beau05
    haha good one man
    guitar_god22
    eric johnson is a great guitarist. its about time finder gave him some credit for that
    rollingstones
    You no im not that big on fenders but i may actually go out and buy this guitar. It sounds really good. rock on guys \m/(..)\m/
    UNIe
    Damn, it's the instrument of my dreams! And with the desing from my favorite guitar player! I hope someday I'll get this beauty under my fingers...
    GEARS_OF_DETH
    i played this guitar before ...and god....it was the most finset fender that i got to play and i was highly honored to play it
    Base Ics
    Proud owner of one of these babies (a sunburst ) It's bloody orgasmic! Can't get enough of it!
    jrk_beast
    such a great sounding guitar, my dad almost bought one, we went to lunch to think about it, and came back and it was gone, the store only got it that day, it is a beautiful guitar!
    NeonRevolations
    I like the Malmsteen Stratocaster better, but this one is amazing too. By far one of my favorite guitars ever.
    xorg3
    FloydFan89 wrote: Who the hell is Eric Johnson?
    i just died a little inside
    jtallen0496
    ItsThatDude wrote: yeah, but 1600 dollars
    I am 17 years old. I bought this guitar by saving up like my first four paychecks and it is truly worth it. the minute i picked up this guitar in the store i fell in love with it. you will not regret your investment.
    Maddaxe111
    This guitar feels GREAT in your hands. Almost like it will play itself. EJ should be proud.
    Kingkilla
    Best guitar I have played...honestly. Very cool to see my opinion is shared by so many different types of musicians! Fender and EJ made a winner, and I'm not even a big fan of his, but he KNOWS WHAT PLAYERS WANT, for sure! Much respect.
    Cazz3000
    The most experienced, inspirational, accomplished guitarist in the world. Much deserved praised and ignore this "oh yeah long live les paul over strat" strats get better as you play them, the varnish wears away and the sound becomes creamier, they are also a very good all round good playing guitar. Long live Johnson.
    fahd
    eric johnson is someone who can earn mills selling lullabies .... hes that gud ...
    drl
    Eric J. is one of my favorite people, finally someone has honored him.
    woodenbandman
    I didn't like the neck, but the rest of the guitar was absolute sex. And it's a known fact that eric johnson cannot play atonally. He just plays whatever and the notes resolve into a scalar pattern out of fear.
    lespaulkevin
    this guitar is one of the best guitars i have ever played and i've played a lot of guitars.
    timnofy
    fahd
    Eric Johnson is someone who can earn mills selling lullabies .... hes that gud ...
    Shredder Guitar
    i agree with Zwart. but it plays very nicely, the neck is a little awkward at first, but nothing major.
    Mahoru
    Played it last week and... damn, it has become my favourite strat after the Vintage '62 and '57!!! It took me a little to get used to the shape of the neck (not the radius; I'm used to Les Pauls, so it was very familiar to me), but then, everything was perfect. I was 1600 , but I think that's a pretty fair price for such a great guitar (and its just a lil' cheaper than the Vintage ones, so I may consider it in a very close future
    \m/Torin\m/
    FloydFan89 wrote: Who the hell is Eric Johnson?
    listen too cliffs of dover. then you'll start to see who he is
    JS5150
    The only time I tried one the tone nob was broken and could go in circles without changing anything
    Akiel
    Eric Johnson rocks! If you don't know him listen to Cliffs Of Dover!
    creedundead
    much respect to eric johnson....surely one of the best guitarist ever...gotta agree that its time fender gave him his own signature model...wanna buy me one of these...sigh (still dreaming) \m/
    nmaharaj
    timnofy wrote: Keep in mind that the neck turns into a C shape once you get near the 12th fret. It allows for faster playing, but is an unwanted change for some guitarists
    I love the neck on this guitar.