EVH Striped Series Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 06/30/2015 category: Electric Guitars
Fender: EVH Striped Series
Van Halen fans will love this, people will be looking at you all night for donning this beast - and you will love it for its sound. It's an eye and ear catcher. If you love a Les Paul sound in a Strat shape with a kick a-s finish - you'll love this guitar.
 8.6
 9.6
 7.6
 13,551
review (1) pictures (3) 26 comments vote for this gear:
EVH Striped Series Reviewed by: adammcdonald, on june 30, 2015

Features: This guitar was made in 2014, out of Mexico last I checked. But do not let the country of manufacturing lure you away from this guitar. There is 22 frets, with an oil rubbed maple neck/unfinished fretboard that is pretty much flat - perfect feel for those who play faster runs or need a guitar that allows faster movement than a neck that is finished. When I first played it - the frets stuck out on the end. But as winter ended and summer began, the wood expanded and the frets are not as intrusive. It would be nice to have better quality when it comes to how the frets are installed, but I cannot complain as much considering its the only thing I didn't like. The body is basswood and the neck is maple.

Finish comes in the three classic Van Halen guitar colors - Black and White (only one with a pickguard), Black and Yellow, and the ever illusive Red White and Black. It is a poly finish, I chose the Black and White striped guitar, similar to the finish on the first VH album.

Body style is a stratocaster feel and shape. The bridge is a non floating Floyd Rose. You may think, "why do I want a Floyd that does not pull up?" Well Eddie himself never had it floating for tuning stability purposes, so naturally his guitar features a Floyd that only dives. Also, once you use one - you'll never want a floating tremolo again. It really does keep in tune well, such as when a string breaks - the rest stay near in tune. Also, there is less work to be done on the Floyd when you don't need to balance it.

Passive electronics - one volume knob labeled tone. An EVH Wolfgang humbucker in the bridge. A straight away easy no frills guitar. Tuners are useless because there is a locking nut, but I haven't had one explode (haha) or break, so they are genuine and useful. No included accessories, except for the Floyd arm. I suggest you transport this beast in a hardshell case, always with the arm taken out of the Floyd system. // 9

Sound: I play hard rock, blues, jazz, punk rock, metal, etc. I do shows in my school play, around my state playing punk rock and hard rock and classic rock. Here is the loved general statement - "this instrument does all that and more." It's really true. There's no noise on gain settings and the Floyd really does do the trick - it stays in tune. The humbucker is almost never muddy and is made specifically for extra bite and growl, so don't expect to play chili peppers style clean tones and get a similar effect. There is a large variety of sounds this can achieve - for instance, I played a show once where I needed a huge sweeping flange with a hard distortion and it achieved such a sound. I needed a Green Day mid loud tone - achieved that. Needed a muse type of bite but not so distorted - does that. It can do a lot. I've even played at jazz gigs - it still can play that! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is great. I've not had to change it yet as it is low even with the Floyd. It's very low actually, as I can play anything with ease and not have a buzzing sound. The PICKUP (remember - just one) was adjusted just fine, it sounds great regardless of how you use it. The only flaws I saw were in the frets. They poked out the sides and dug into my hand, but as the seasons changed this is less of an issue. Also, I can assume my hands grew used to it. Tuning has never been an issue - the Floyd is a bit stuff but I don't mind that as it means the tuning is secure. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar simply is very reliable. I've played this at two shows so far. If I didn't have a backup, it would perform great, but I had a second guitar because I love to have a tonal difference in my shows. The hardware is a lot better than anything I've ever played - still shiny and clean. Strap buttons are okay but I will replace them with locking buttons because I hate having the feeling that at any moment my guitar will fall off the strap and break on the ground. Very dependable, EVH and Fender did a great job designing this. The finish will last believe it or not! I've banged it around but the scratches I've made give it character. It's not a nitro guitar, so it can withstand more. // 10

Overall Impression: As said before, I play the whole spectrum of styles. I've done jazz shows. I started with hard rock and blues. Classic rock, alternative, metal, electronic rock, punk, punk rock, and even some pop music. I play anything, and this guitar can play it all. I've been playing nonstop and built a local reputation in the 4 years I've been playing. I also own an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, a couple Squier Strats, and another cheaper Epi Les Paul. This is neck and neck with my custom. Amps I use a Fender Mustang in my house and a Marshall 100watt when playing live (overkill really) and a plethora of pedals. I wish that this guitar had a better fret job, that's my only concern. If I lost it, I'd be devastated. I'd find the guy and do things I shouldn't to get it back. It's worth it.

I grew up and love Van Halen - hell my room is painted with the red black and white stripes. I bought this guitar with the finish in mind, as well as the fact that it could play amazingly. It's an eye and ear catcher.

Compared to the Wolfgang it is brighter and faster to play, and is lighter and easier on the body because of its shape. However it has less features, because there is one less humbucker, and no tone knob. Van Halen fans will love this, people will be looking at you all night for donning this beast - and you will love it for its sound. Hell I sound like a vendor, but I promise you - if you love a Les Paul sound in a Strat shape with a kick a-s finish - you'll Love. This. Guitar. // 10

Comments