EVH Wolfgang Special review by Fender

Fender: EVH Wolfgang Special

Price paid: C$ 1300

Purchased from: cosmo

This guitar suits my style very well. The pickups are flexible but geared to heavier rock. Its tad cleaner that an Axis (I have one of those). With TC and MXR effects the sound is great. I have run it through a Marshall, Traynor and 6505 all tube amps. The sound is very good, very pronounced. Its like a mix between a Strat, Les Paul and Axis. Feels like a Strat, sounds like a Les Paul but higher output like an axis.

This is a well made guitar, the wood, hardware, sound is great. This guitar is worth every penny you will spend. I have an axis, 91 Startocaster with a floyd, Ibanez 1570 with DiMarzio pickups and a gretch. This guitar is tied with my Axis and for sound, it feels better than the Axis though.

Quality parts are used it will stand up, no question about it. I replaced the strap buttons with Schaller strap locks and levi leather strap. The guitar feels solid. It stays in tune very well and doesn't change much with the weather. The hardware is solid and will last.

The finish is perfect, setup with perfect out of the box. I replaced the strings will all Nickle Super Slinkies 9-42. Oiled and waxed the neck. The hardware is top notch, the suners, floyd and pots scream quality. The wood work is perfect, no flaws. Place this guitar side by side with an Axis and you can see the Japanese build quality is the same.

Made in late 2010 in Japan with: - passive electronics - 22 frets - unfinished oiled neck - bass wood body - EVH floyd rose with dtuna - two EVH humbuckers - volume and tone controls - low friction pots and MXR knobs - antique white finish - pearl tuners - solid top

Jyrgen
    Basti95 wrote: That is so clearly NOT a Fender. Ernie Ball MusicMan, effin srsly, get your shit together
    Nah actually the latest EVH guitars are made by Fender.
    BrandonBeaux
    glwharton
    The USA Model was manufactured by Fender, The Japanese Model was manufactured by Peavy.
    macman6107
    I know this was posted a few years ago but for anyone reading today the Japanese model is made by Fender not Peavey. No Peavey Wolfgangs were made in Japan, only in the USA and Korea for the Special QT EXP.
    hmcguire
    Way Cool JR.
    Yeah the guitar Eddie is playing in the new music video "Tattoo" is a Satin Black Fender Wolfgang. And I am sure this is a Fender to since they have a model that looks exactly like it.
    Otnip
    And by equilibrium, I mean the trem, causing all the strings to go flat.
    jetwash69
    Otnip wrote: My only gripe is floating the bridge and trying to use the EVH Drop D mechanism: unless the bridge is resting on the body (which is odd that Eddie prefers it as such because it's a fully equiped Original Floyd) the Drop D mechanism will kick out the guitar's equilibrium. The D-tuna isn't designed for a floating bridge. Don't know about these days (check it yourself if you care), but a few years ago the D-Tuna website warned about that right on the front page. That's why I don't own one. Other than that, this thing is badass. Clean sounds, lead sounds, rhythm sounds, it's just amazing.
    swave75
    BrandonBeaux wrote: Who's the dumbass that put this guitar under the Fender section? And all 10's? Seriously? Personally, I think it's an ugly guitar, but my opinion may change if I ever play one. :shrug:
    I happen to like ugly guitars.
    MelvinJohn
    The current EVH Wolfgang guitars are actually made by Fender. The previous model was made by Peavey, and those are the only two guitars that carry the Wolfgang name. The original guitar made by Ernie Ball, was called the Musicman EVH, "not a Wolfgang", but it served as the platform for the guitars that followed, hence the similarities.
    sambargun
    Musicman is not owned by Fender. Leo Fnder worked for the brand, but left it under bitter circumstances and started G&L. For those who think the shape is ugly, the shape has been more or less the same for Eddie's guitars since musician axis, the peavey signature model and now EVH. The brand EVH is a collaboration between Fender and the man.
    Way Cool JR.
    Otnip wrote: I disagree, I just bought one two weeks ago and got it professionally set up, and I can most definitely see why he gave it all 10s. My only gripe is floating the bridge and trying to use the EVH Drop D mechanism: unless the bridge is resting on the body (which is odd that Eddie prefers it as such because it's a fully equiped Original Floyd) the Drop D mechanism will kick out the guitar's equilibrium. Other than that, this thing is badass. Clean sounds, lead sounds, rhythm sounds, it's just amazing.
    That is the way the D-Tuna is deigned to work, It is made for top mount, dive only Floyd's. So you realy cant criticize it for working they way it is intended. Just don't use it if you want the bridge to float. You can do plenty of tricks with a dive only Floyd, I own a dive only and don't miss anything from my floating ones, plus I can switch tunings realy easily.
    sonnyrocker
    and you just got served, and you had no idea that Fender now makes EVH Wolfgang, so who is ignorant?
    vince.mondi
    To be clear, the first Wolfgang was made by Ernie Ball under the Musicman brand and wasn't called Wolfgang at that time. Then Eddie wasn't satisfied, so he went to Peavey. And didn't like it either. The third generation Wolfgang is now under the EVH Brand of FENDER Musical Instruments Corporation. Know your history please.
    straycat113
    Damn guys should do their homework or know the guitar they are buying. No Peavey models of the Wolfgang were ever produced in Japan! Near the end of the run they put out a budget model -The Wolfgang EXP- which was produced in Korea and very easily identifiable. The biggest give away is the necks have a Satin finish,Ed's sig is printed and not branded into the neck, serial number 95% of the time starts with a 0,No double re-inforced Graphite rods in neck, inferior hardware and thin quilt veneer top.I cant add all the times on Ebay I have seen someone spend 1K for a guitar that originally cost about $500 while a USA Special Deluxe with a great flame top was right next to it for the same price- Know what you are buying! Leo Fender helped Start Music Man and was an original partner before leaving to start G&L. EBMM has always been an all USA guitar and bass company under the Ball family that produces top shelf gear. The OLP and Sterling line were/are Asian produced instruments, but they dont say EBMM on the headstock. The new EVH Wolfgang Standard is produced in the Jackson CS which is owned by Fender, the Specials in Japan. But as of 2013 they will be produced in the Mexico factory. For my personal taste and whichever incarnation of Ed's sig you prefer -EBMM EVH-Peavey Wolfgang or EVH Wolfgang is the best original design of any ax in the last 25 years!
    TheResults
    To put something like a parent company name on a gear review is confusing, and irrelevant. Stick to the labels cause in the end the people who are going to read reviews dont care about the politics, only that it gets their job done.
    Basti95
    Otnip
    I see what you guys mean, I'm very new to Floyds and right now I really dig being able to give some vibrato to notes by pulling even just a half step up I think I'll invest in a tremol-no.
    DD705
    I just recently saw an EVH Wolfgang Special in a reputable Guitar Shop with "Made in China " marked on the back of the headstock below the Fender logo... I thought the Specials were made in Japan??? Does anyone have any insight on this?
    schirripar
    Sorry about the first one But I'm pretty sure Musicman is owned by Fender
    schirripar
    The USA Model is made by Fender, The Japanese model is made by Peavy
    hello.elemntl
    No. Peavey made the earlier Wolfgangs. Fender makes them now, wherever on the planet they are made. There are no new, made in Japan Peavey Wolfgangs. Get the facts straight before you repeat yourself all over the board.
    Laragoodwin
    I recently bought one of the wolfgang specials and i'll just quickly address a few thing: 1: The entire EVH line is made by fender, to start with the cardboard box It came in had fender and evh written all over it and I don't see why that would mean nothing, (why would a company promote rival companies when selling you a product? makes no sense) and the hard cases they come in are the standard issue fender cases with eddie's stripes embossed into them. 2: having played both before I bought, I can honestly say the japanese special model is a much better buy than the american. You're only losing parts quality on minor things like for example the fact that the american one has a brass trem block and the japanese one is aluminum. I actually found the build quality of the japanese one superior to the american one, there were no sharp frets on either but the binding was not quite flush on the american one in some places and the electronics cavities were messier. 3: both models sound amazing, the combination of the wood and those pickups just really sings and you can pinch harmonic and sustain for days on end with the right amp. 4: I'm not sure I would give either guitar all 10's but for me the biggest sticking point on both guitars was the headstock shape is kinda awkward and ugly and I would have much preferred something cleaner. Overall 9.5/10
    GrimKage
    I agree about the perfect 10. This is not the perfect guitar, nowhere near.
    Kingkilla
    Fender makes this one. Funny nobody mentions the sharp fret ends on the neck: a BIG FACTOR, and a deal breaker for sure. The axe sounds fantastic, but Ed makes it clear through the Wolfie Special that we shouldn't skimp on quality, and the USA has rolled frets. A damn shame Fender did this: I never found an overseas model with this crap.
    LedFender
    Ernie Ball owns musicman. it was started by leo fender and ernie ball bought them out in the 80s
    bubkusjones
    I played one in the shop recently and thought it was pretty awesome, but I miss the neck profile from the Peavey. That slightly chunky, asymmetrical, feels-like-it-was-custom-shaped-for-my-hand goodness. I think the rest of the guitar is superior (even if just slightly), but the neck is a bit of a letdown. That's just personal preference, though.
    hmcguire
    schirripar wrote: hmcguire wrote: BrandonBeaux wrote on 01/13/2012 - 08:40 am / quote | Who's the dumbass that put this guitar under the Fender section? And all 10's? Seriously? Personally, I think it's an ugly guitar, but my opinion may change if I ever play one. :shrug: That is so clearly NOT a Fender. Ernie Ball MusicMan, effin srsly, get your shit together7 EVH is made by Fender, used to be made by Musicman, but is made by Fender now. Sorry about the first one But I'm pretty sure Musicman is owned by Fender
    Nope, Leo Fender started Musicman, but it was never owned by Fender.
    glwharton
    Here's the skinny I've gotten. The EVH Wolfgang was/is made by Fender Guitars in California and the EVH Wolfgang Special was/is made in Japan by Peavy.