Fat Strat Texas Special review by Fender

Fender: Fat Strat Texas Special

Purchased from: Local Music Store

The thing about this guitar, is that it is extremely versatile. It plays everything. I mainly play punk - Green Day - and a bit of funk and surf. It does both reasonably well. The only problem for me is that because it is so versatile it sounds average on everything, it doesn't have a specific character, just the Fat Strat, which millions of people copy every day. It doesn't play anything amazingly well. I run it through a Fender Blues Jnr amp with a Boss ME-50. Personally I think this is a great guitar for beginners who want to find their style, I've found my style, and I'm thinking about a more specialized guitar (American Vintage '62 Jazzmaster). I will always keep this guitar, though. My first ever guitar, and as the years go by, it just gets better! And worth more money!

I think this is a reasonably good match for my style, but needs more varied sounds. I do not recommend this if you are an experienced guitarist with specific taste. This used to be my dad's when he first started playing but now he has the deluxe American Fat Strat and a lovely Rickenbacker. I started playing when I was about 7, so about 4 years I've been playing for. If this guitar was lost I would be really unhappy (your first guitar is a bond for life), but I wouldn't buy it again because it wouldn't be as special as my first one. I will keep this guitar as long as I live.

This guitar is ridiculously reliable. To gigs I've never taken a backup (I know it's a bit risky) but this guitar has never let me down. The strap buttons are reasonably good, but being a Mexican Strat it is prone to falling off, but the solution to that is to buy special lock-on strap buttons so the strap won't fall off.

THIS GUITAR WAS ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS. Everything was finished perfectly, no scratches. This guitar has never failed to please me with how it works, the finish, bridge, pickups etc. BRILLIANT.

This is the Mexico made Fat Strat, with 21 frets, and a solid top. The neck is a lovely maple, and the guitar is finished with a green sparkle finish. The classic Strat body with the extra classic fat Strat humbucker as well as the classic single coils. The guitar came with one volume control and two tone knobs, also with a three-way selector. It came with a Tele/Strat gigbag. Came with a classic Strat tremolo bar.

kld0068
    I purchased a 2000 fat strat Fender stratocaster brand new. With the "saxophone" style hs case it was $900. It has Texas Special p/u in the neck and middle with the Seymore-Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge. I set it up according to the Fender setup guide (google it) and it plays and sounds just great. I play in a band doing classic rock, modern rock, usual bar band tunes. Through a Fender Hotrod Deluxe you couldn't ask for a better rock sound. For a jazzy sound switch position #2 (neck-middle) give a nice Robert Cray type Strat sound. Great guitar, just love it. 10/10
    franzehoff
    I've had my USA Made Texas Special Fat Strat, candy apple red with periled pick guard ("Christine" since 2003 - I scored it at a pawn ship for $110 I know... It was a once in a life time score! It is truly an amazing guitar. I've played countless shows with it and it has withstood everting and still looks like new. I did change the PUPs to Lace Sensors for grins and giggles. It can rock, but I would not say play metal. I'm sadly considering selling it to score a Soldano Hot Rod 50 that's near me. SO torn! Let me add, that I do NOT like strats and never have. This one just feels awesome to me. Sigh... Sucks to have G.A.S....