Highway 1 Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Highway 1 Stratocaster

This guitar gave me chills down my spine when I picked it up. I had tried various other Stratocasters and Les Pauls but this one just clicked for me. I play jazz/fusion/funk and this guitar's tone is beautiful so it suits me well. I find that it can blast you away with awesome distortion or it can soothe with sweet tones. With my amp (a Marshall MG15CDR) this guitar is wonderfully quiet and has a rich clean sound, a warm overdriven tone and a nice and crunchy distored sound if you require it. The sweetness of the guitars tone and feel cannot be stressed because for me personally it is excellent.

Although a metal player would not find this type of guitar suitable it is just common sense that if you want to play heavier styles of music then you would go for a heavier guitar that uses basswood and has humbuckers (although Iron Maiden defy this and kick ass). This guitar is great for my general styles of playing (jazz/fusion/funk and blues and even progressive rock). At various stores I sat and played ranges of guitars including a 50th Anniversary Stratocaster, a Mexican Stratocaster and a Fat Strat and this guitar was by far the most impressive. It has a fantastic feel to me and is a very strong and reliable guitar.

Having played it in store with the original setup I was very pleased to find that the action was well adjusted and the pickups were well positioned. Having had a good look at it there are no flaws in the finish, body, hardware or any of the other components. It stays in tune well and everything is tight in perfect condition. Although if I had not seen the Crimson Red I would probably have gone for a burst (they did not have the 3 tone sunburst in stock) having seen it I am very pleased and find that this guitar is beautiful.