Highway 1 Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Highway 1 Stratocaster

Price paid: C$ 699

Purchased from: Steves Music

I play moderate Alternative Rock. I am impressed with most Fender Guitars and refuse to buy anything else. Sounds great through a small practice amp, but sounds better through 30 watts and up. Cleans ring out reminiscient of SRV and Smashing Pumpkins but can get just as crunchy as any metal sound I have heard. Good for any form of music. Rock, Alt Rock, Metal, Country..etc. Etc.

I love the guitar. I rock out in a semi-Pro band as the singer/Songwriter. I have been playing for 15 years. If it was stolen or lost, I would buy it again. I will likely own many in my life. I love the warm sounds I can make, as well as the crunchy tones. I can compare the guitar to the American Standard which carries the same body and similar neck. The pups are alnico 3s and the standards are alnico 5s I believe. Very similar and cost effective way of owning an american guitar. I only wish it had a biflex truss rod.

This guitar will withstan live shows. The guitar will last, although the finish will fade away fast and become damaged when playing live. The strap buttons are locked up tight. You could use this without a backup although it is never recommended. For the Vintage look, you will only need a few years likely, but with the finish loss will come a comfort like no other.

The Guitar was perfectly set up with 9s. The Action was perfectly med/low. The top was perfect. The bridge is straight, and the neck was drilled precisely. The wood quality is better than most guitars I have seen around today. Like I said, there is absolutely no visible body pieces and it appears to be 1 piece. This guitar is very easy to scratch and ding due to the soft finish. The fretwire was a little sharp at times. Controls and all other aspects of the guitar is perfect. I noticed a few small rub marks on the back of the body. Only noticable in certain light Shine. But for the most part, perfect.

2009 Fender Highway One Stratocaster. Made in U.S.A. Solid Alder Body, 22 Frets, CBS headstock, Satin Poly coat on the neck, Satin "Nitro" coat on the body. Some have stated that the fingerboards aren't rolled, mine is. Frets are cut good, but a little sharp on the edges at times. Mine is a Honey Blonde. The wood grain shows through and I lucked out to get a one piece body. The neck is your standard "C" shape with the 70's style logo. Jumbo frets. Rosewood fretboard. The only beef I have with it is that the walnut truss rod plug has a small imperfection on the right side of the hole. Totally unnoticable to most, but very noticable to me. Skunk stripe on the back. Standard Strat body. A little thinner than most american series guitars. Classic "Vintage" six screw bridge. 3 passive single coil Alnico 3 pickups. Greasebucket tonal system. Volume. Two Tone. 5 way switch. Fender "ping" tuners which come standard on both the mexican and american guitars of the standard series. Other than the walnut plug, beautifully crafted.