Highway 1 Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: Highway 1 Telecaster

Purchased from: Concept Music

I like all kinds of guitar driven music and jam with midi backing tracks because I live isolated and don't know any other obsessed musicians. It's a "feel" thing but I just love playing this guitar. I use a Fender 65 watt amp, a DigiTech RP50 and a Dunlop Cry Baby Wah. Mostly rhythm and blues but I've recently started messing around with Shadows and Ventures "surf" music. I am able to get all the sounds I want from my set up. I particularly like the heavy sustain, lightly overdriven squeal I can get using the bridge pickup. The overall brightness works for me.

Take your time, find the instrument that feels right for you and you'll end up as happy as me. There is something mystical about the right guitar - it will speak to you. I have friends who tinker with playing and say my Tele is hard to play however I find it easy and it has brought my playing on a long way. My guitar teacher and legendary Perth muso Lindsay Wells, plays an ancient $150 Vesta that he wants to be buried with for similar reasons. I have been playing for a long time but really only become serious in the last 5 years. I am now playing the way I always wanted to and this instrument has a lot to do with that. I have found the guitar I want and can only recommend that if you take the time to find the one that suits you, this make of Tele is the way to go.

Isn't all playing live? I don't do gigs but am very happy with the instrument's reliability. Everything about the guitar makes me recommend it as a robust unit. After a year of playing for at least 2 hours a day, it still looks good and shines. I think Teles have classic lines and when you think the design is over 50 years old, has to be in the epitome of perfect balance between function and form - as all classical shapes are. By the way, it's not heavy, it's my guitar.

Action, fit and finish were good quality and a credit to concept's customer service. No problems have been encountered. I've broken a few B and G strings so have lightly sanded out the bridge saddle and use a heavier gauge string set which has reduced the breakages of late. I should add that without a wammie, I bend the strings a lot for vibrato so it may be a combination of my technique and the "sharp" saddle that's been doing the strings in. Pleasing ATD and quality - which is why I bought it.

Mexican assembled, sunburst body with a 22 fret maple neck. I bought the guitar after playing a similar rosewood neck Squier Tele I had set up for slide playing with raised action and heavy top end strings. I always wanted to own a maple neck, classic look Tele and the neck and action was what attracted my attention to this particular guitar. I recommend choosing from a range of similarly set up guitars when buying. I tried several that just didn't "feel" right. All the hardwear is standard and has held up through travel, prolonged sweat inducing playing in a remote mining camp and learner's lunacy. No extras, none needed which meant I got the deal I was looking for. It was ready to play after Killian from Concept did the predelivery set up for me. Seems to be really good value.