Highway 1 Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: Highway 1 Telecaster

Purchased from: GAK

People say the staris Fender's all purpose guitar, but my God, this thing is as versatile as I'll ever need. It's satisfyingly bright and twangy on a clean channel and on overdrive it'l deliver any tone you need, or damn close to it (forget about metal or squealies, this guitar despises them). The secret of the good tones across the whole spectrum lies partly in the finish, because it is very thin and lets the vibrant voice of the wood be heard. It excells in country and Indie, but if set up properly, it'll out do a Strat no problem (definitely the highway 1 Strat anyway). I mostly play through a Marshall AVT50X but it also performs just as well through my Fender (allbeit a cheap and lousy amp). This sounds and performs like a proper tele, honestly try any sound, it'll manage it (except metal).

My personal genre is rock, and trust me, this does it well. When buying it, I also tried the highway 1 Strat and the Standard American tele, This thing wins on looks, tone, playability and also in capturing the true and old qualities of Fender guitars. I already have a mexican Strat and a PRS SE Custom, this it better. If this were stolen I would definitely buy another one, it's too good a guitar for so little money. It stands up there with the best of them.

This is a tele, there is nothing on the guitar to go wrong, so it doesn't. I have even dropped on it's stap button before and there was no visible blemish. I do use this at gigs without backup, no problem. The finish has proved to be of good quality, it hasn't shown signs of fading even after many hours of topless playing but I wish it would fade, because then it would look even cooler. This isn't just my instrument, it's my loyal steed and will never wear out.

This guitar must have been tuned once more by Santa when he dropped it off because it was perfect as soon as I got it: action-fine, tuning-perfect, stock pickups-right height and sound, and on top of that the finish was impeccable. The very first time I have not needed or wanted to change anything on a guitar after getting it, even the strings are satisfactory. I can see no reason to give it less than a 10 in this aspect.

Mine is the upgraded 06 version, it has the three-tone sunburst finish with 22 jumbo frets and a maple neck. It has a string through body and a three-piece saddle (as a tele should have, basic but better) and locking tuners. Apart from the fact it has a beautiful nitrocellulose laquer finish, there's not much else to say feature-wise. It's tele, you get what you see.