J5 Telecaster review by Fender

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 10
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reliability & Durability: 10
  • Action, Fit & Finish: 10
  • Features: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 10 Gem
  • Users' score: 7 (67 votes)
Fender: J5 Telecaster
2

Price paid: $ 860

Sound — 10
This guitar is quite possibly the greatest Telecaster I have ever played in my entire life. I'm trying to buy this guitar but am having problems doings so (hard to find). However, I have played one because my friend owns one. It sounds amazing! It suits my rock, metal, hardcore, bluegrass, country, blues, you name it; it can play it! I am used this guitar through a Vox AD30VT 30 Watt Stereo 10 Inch Combo Guitar Amplifier, and with a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. It is nowhere near noisy, no buzz, no crackling, nothing but delicious sound!

Overall Impression — 10
I play metal, bluegrass, rock, hardcore, blues, almost everything! I've been playing for around a year and half. If I owned this and it was lost or stolen, I would definatly kill myself! that's how much I am in love with this guitar! I love the feel of the neck, the shape, and vast variety of sound this baby produces! Flaws? I only see one, this thing is rather heavy! Other than that, I can't think of anything.

Reliability & Durability — 10
This guitar is great for practice, playing at gigs, killing people by smashing them in the head! You name, it can probably do it! The hardware is strong and well-built; you will definatly get years and years out of this guitar. This guitar is built to last, its chrome pickguard can withstand even the most angry player! I would definatly forget about any other guitar but this one if I were to perform a gig with it!

Action, Fit & Finish — 10
This guitar is set up with upmost perfection. The headstock is designed for flashy, yet well sounding, behind the nut bends (Made popular by John 5 himself, although many guitarist have done them, I'm not saying he invented them). The action is great! No fret buzz! I use D'Adderio light tops/heavy bottoms and I usually get fret buzz but when played with this guitar, none! No need to adjust the action. The pickups sound great! There are two pickups: 1 Custom Shop Twisted Tele single-coil (neck), 1 Enforcer humbucker (bridge). Both sound great. You can hit a superior range with them to suit your playing. The guitar had no flaws of any kind.

Features — 10
This Telecaster guitar is equipped with an aggressive Fender(R) Enforcer humbucking pickup in the bridge position and a Custom Shop Twisted Tele neck pickup. A three-way pickup selector Switch, chrome hardware and a radical headstock design for behind the nut bends.

50 comments sorted by best / new / date

    ~Shred Hero~
    The reason the headstock is "dull" as you guys say is because it is a prototype. It wasn't supposed to be the headstock used ont he guitar but J5 liked it (Oddly) and decided to keep it. Found that while watching a J5 interview.
    guitar nooblet
    This guitar looks awesome. Im a big fan of john 5! I love how this guitar can blend metal with a telecaster!!!
    gljbass
    Jericho114 wrote: that ugly headstock just doesnt go with the rest of the guitar I disagree, I think it compliments the stupid looking strip of whatever they used to cover the Tone/Volume nobs. That guitar looks like a P.O.S, glad it plays well, and can withstand the angriest of players.
    haha... smartass... haha. funny tho. I kinda like the headstock. It gives this totally different tele and decently different look. And plus, who's name's on it? not yours. It's John 5's. It's his call.
    DaMarsbarPerson
    -Rock-N'-Roll- wrote: the headstock looks like a banjo lol
    I Think Part Of It Is Supposed To Seeing As John 5 Is A Country Guitar Enthusiast
    joshjebl
    Well i just want to say a couple things first off i think any guitar will do harmonics if you know how.(some better than others i'm sure) second John5 is the shit his guitar is probably pretty good but the head looks like a wiener
    Ben_Eaglesfield
    I thought the headstock was supposed to have been off a Fender Maverick? I think it was maverick anyhow, i'm not too sure
    rock_and_blues
    How does the headstock help with behind the nut bends? Country guitarists have been doing them for way longer and way better than John5 using a standard Tele headstock. Just buy a black Tele and install a humbucker and a chrome pickguard and...voila! You have this...I just saved everyone here some money.
    mortengh
    seems like everyone who gets a new guitar gives it 10/10, regardless, be it an expensive gibson or a cheap epiphone.. thats why most user reviews are misleading..
    washburn0c03
    mortengh wrote: seems like everyone who gets a new guitar gives it 10/10, regardless, be it an expensive gibson or a cheap epiphone.. thats why most user reviews are misleading..
    lol, this guy knows exactly what hes talking about!
    K!nj!
    ~Shred Hero~ wrote: The reason the headstock is "dull" as you guys say is because it is a prototype. It wasn't supposed to be the headstock used ont he guitar but J5 liked it (Oddly) and decided to keep it. Found that while watching a J5 interview.
    ur wrong this one is not his prototype...his prototype has a standard telecaster headstock.....get your facts right before posting on UG,can endanger your life
    Coldmystery
    The thing that sucks about this guitar, is it isnt quit the one he plays... I WANT the one he plays!!!!
    s-d
    People do your homework. First of all the prototype that John uses has a normal tele headstock. The reason this one has the heastock it does is because it's based on a Fender Maverick.For more info check this clip out listen at 4:15.
    and one final note you people who hate the headstock are probably the same ones who are keeping Ibanez going. BTW those guitars suck.
    Jericho114
    that ugly headstock just doesnt go with the rest of the guitar
    I disagree, I think it compliments the stupid looking strip of whatever they used to cover the Tone/Volume nobs. That guitar looks like a P.O.S, glad it plays well, and can withstand the angriest of players.
    J.J.G.
    I wouldn't give it 10/10... maybe 8/10 but never 10, i played better guitars and the "impression" should be like 7.5/10 because of the headstock ( no im not saying it is ugly, it is just stupid, it was designed for a 12 string guitar)... and oh yeah it is ugly :p
    lepermessiah22
    even if it is made for behind the nut bends, you could still do that without making the headstock look like a dildo. Other than that, i think the guitar is pretty nice.
    Cobalt Blue
    I was reading people slagging the headstock, I was about to defend it... then I looked at the picture... that is not a standard Tele headstock. that does look like shit.
    GoWithTheFlow
    you've only played guitar for a year and a half. why are you writing reviews about guitars?
    toasty_alcohol
    gljbass wrote: Jericho114 wrote: I kinda like the headstock. It gives this totally different tele and decently different look. And plus, who's name's on it? not yours. It's John 5's. It's his call.
    lol it is John 5's call, but thats not what a review is about now is it? its about whether the consumer likes it or not, and i totally agree - its ugly as hell. (no disrespect to john's amazing playin tho)
    Brattarocks
    Features: 10 Sound: 10 Action: 10 Reliability: 10 Impression: 10 Overall rating: 10 Users rating: 6.6 Hahaahaaa
    nedthehead
    Better reviews than this deserve to hit the front page. I've played this guitar, and in the 15 minutes I spent with it, I found many faults. This guy didn't even mention one negative thing about the guitar. At least try not to see m outrageously biased when you write reviews...
    JEDIMAN40
    rhcpfan118 wrote: it's a damn 12 string tele headstock idiots, have you never seen them before? it's not a standard tele headstock, but it's not completely random either.
    That may well be true, but it doesnt match the style of the Telecaster. Its safe to assume that most people who look at this website have seen a 12 string before, and realize what their headstock looks like. That said, it just doesnt fit with the initial Tele design. Moving on, I didnt find a whole lot about this review that would influence me to purchase one. I mean, there is no way this guitar is totally perfect. I've played both versions of it, and found very touchy problems with it. Granted those may be my own opinion, but I think that they would be addressed in a review of a guitar that "I'd borrowed from a friend for a month."
    good_sir_pete
    yo yo wrote: can it do harmonics?? like at all???
    I might be wrong here, but can't all guitars play harmonics? (assuming the person who plays it can )
    Shread_6009
    the headstock is meant for bhind-the-nut bends, it basically a twelve string tele with 6 strings. definetly one of the greastest teles, considering that most teles aren't meant for metal.
    srv34
    No offence but you no nothing about the durability of the guitar since you havent gigged with it? or did i just skim over the reasoning...
    High_o
    yeah, the headstock looks like one of the ones that you get with a blank neck, that you would cutinto the style you want
    Hdap101
    I really wish people who quite like their friend's guitar would stop reviewing them. tell their friend to do it, that's fine. and I'm sorry but: 'its chrome pickguard can withstand even the most angry player!' - What?
    Maiden-Canada
    Hdap101 wrote: I really wish people who quite like their friend's guitar would stop reviewing them. tell their friend to do it, that's fine. and I'm sorry but: 'its chrome pickguard can withstand even the most angry player!' - What?
    Agreed. Only review what you know... dudes writing for Guitar Player take their shit on the road and kick it around. Of course, they can afford to because its given to them - all I'm saying is use the thing yourself for a solid chunk of time before you go jerking it off in praise.
    jo3myster
    High_o wrote: yeah, the headstock looks like one of the ones that you get with a blank neck, that you would cutinto the style you want
    true that
    jo3myster
    BFun wrote: that headstock looks horrible.
    Sorry i ment true this one not the last one
    -Rock-N'-Roll-
    pinky_demon wrote: I hate artist guitars...
    same i'd never buy a artist guitar, or a singature model
    ~Shred Hero~
    Agreed. Only review what you know... dudes writing for Guitar Player take their shit on the road and kick it around. Of course, they can afford to because its given to them - all I'm saying is use the thing yourself for a solid chunk of time before you go jerking it off in praise.
    Um.. I did. I didnt just play this thing once and decide to write a review about it. I play it more than he does since he bought his new guitar. I've been playing it for about a onth now. And as far as I've never gig'ed with it. Yeah thats true, which is why I had my friend who has gig'ed with it to tell me what to write. Im not just gonna make up a bunch of bologna about I guitar I played once.
    'its chrome pickguard can withstand even the most angry player!' - What?
    I dont know either. He told me what to write and I pretty much did so. I can ask if you want?
    rhcpfan118
    it's a damn 12 string tele headstock idiots, have you never seen them before? it's not a standard tele headstock, but it's not completely random either.
    DezanG
    I would be angry too if my guitar looked like that, not that I would pick a guitar just cuz it looks pretty, but what the hell is that?!
    freshtunes
    My english teacher from like 3 or 4 years ago was the best man at John 5's wedding. He missed a week of school because he had to fly out to LA for it. When he came back he said they went to Universal theme park and it was crazy how many people recognized John. Nothing to do with the axe, I just think it's cool.
    drunkass
    haha everybody hates the headstock, they should probably change it if they wanna sell very many of these guitars
    Niavlyscire
    I hate the look of tele's to start with...and now seeing this one with retarded headstock makes me hate them even more. I'm sure it sounds good...but damn thats ugly.