Jag-Stang review by Fender

Fender: Jag-Stang

Purchased from: Music Maker, Dublin

It suits my music style well because I play in a Nirvana tribute band which suits me perfectly and you can get a really good cobain sound out of it. At the moment I am using 1 Marshall 1960 b cabinet and im using a mesa boogie preamp to Drive it. In terms of effects im using an e/harmonix small clone a Boss DS1 and a Boss DS2. This guitar gives a very rich sound and can numerous sounds thanks to the switches.

I play grunge and this guitar is an exellent match for my style. I have been playing about two years and I own a Fender Standard Strat and a Fender Telecaster. There is nothing I wished I should of asked because I had tested it out before I bought it. I would buy it again if it was stolen. I love the sound of it, I hate the switches and my favourite feature is the neck of the guitar.

Absolutely this guitar can definately withstand live playing. Yes I'm pretty sure that the hardware will last the finish is good enough to last I dont think it will wear off. The strap buttons are very solid and have gave me no problems at all. I can depend on this guitar for any show. Yes I would use it on a gig without backup.

The action was very good I was well impressed the pickups are adjusted ok but I didn't like them that much and put them in a different position. Everything was done and it was a bookmatched top, but the bridge is similar to a Mustang which have a tendency to go out of tune but I've had no problems with it yet and i'm happy to say the guitar had no flaws.

The Jag-Stang I bought is a reissue of the original. There is 22 frets on it its a solid top all the usual 1 tone and 1 volume control and phase switches to change to singecoils or humbuckers. But these switches tend to get in your way but dont cause too much trouble.

Pontius
    Ok, first off, let's get one thing straight. The Jag-stang is an UNFINISHED guitar...that is, Cobain died before he ever actually had it made as well as it could have been. He wasn't satisfied with the blockiness of the guitar and wanted it routed more at the sides with the distinct Fender "taper" at the bottom edge. Also, his guitar contained a Texas Special single coil pickup in the neck position and a Dimarzio H-3 humbucker at the bridge, which was eventually swapped out for a Duncan JB (awesome, and cheap, humbucker btw . Fender wanted to have him endorse it as a signature model, but he either died before he could or just didn't want to. Anyway, the guitar has a lot of potential as long as you're willing to put enough time in it. He swapped the "cigar" bridge for a more stable Tune-o-Matic one as well. The reason I bought it? 24" scale with a single coil pickup and a double coil, and the funky cool shape. It's unique, and when used right sounds really, really good depending on what kind of music you play. And yes, if you practice enough, you CAN play metal on it.
    Hart_Attack
    KurtCobain23 wrote: the dude frigin shoot his head of withh shootgun and all u can come up with is he looks like crap, and kurt died before the guitar was finished so fender used cheap pickups.
    ...stay in school kid
    mrjammin
    A few points, firstly id like to note that it isnt a Fender design, its a Kurt Cobain design. Which id like to suggest makes a few things obvious, it was never built for cmfort or studio sound, i had one of these, its built for *****s who treat guitars like shit! 14yrs i owned one, paid $1000Nz Brand new, showed it no respect, played it stomped on it, threw it around, it sold for $850, thats not half bad! No if you bought a Jagstang and expected a Gretch, then you really do have issues, a good tradesman does not blame his tools. did you ever play Smells like teen spirit on that thing?? Its buifor it! Those pithy highs and harmonic tendancies are ideal, for what it was designed to play.... also, the guy was a depressed suicidal maniac, what did you expect!?!? The vibrato causes the saddles to drop, it didnt stay in tune, it was as reliable as its designer! But i tell you what, its a fun guitar! perhaps you missed that? Comfort, reliability, well they are great, but if you want something you can thrash about and enjoy, its great! So, lets just say its horses for courses, and maybe you should go spend a ew grand and buy aGretch, cause your obviously above the childish fun that a Jagstang can bring. for the record, ive owned any other guitars, played many other guitars, i wouldnt own another Jagstang, but i do respect that it has its place
    kickass13
    Zwart you sound like a right faggot, shut the **** up. Your 4 year old brothers probably more mature than you, by writing those coments shows how much you dont know about music. Fuck off!!!
    mikecappa
    if you hadnt known already, Kurt Cobain designed this guitar for HIM, HE wanted it to look that way and sound a certain way so if you dont like it dont ****in say anything
    saad_nirvana
    mjosephw52
    Plundermaster wrote: PunkyJunky wrote: First Of All Billie Joe Plays A Blue Fernandes Stratocaster. And Stop Fighting About Looks? Does That Really Matter? Im Saving Up For One By The Way. Its About 400Bucks... Is That A Good Price Why would you capitalize the first letter of every word?
    Its so annoying when people do that...
    theshaft
    nailsarecruel
    Oddly enough, my Jay Turser JT-750 has a similarly lopsided bottom, but she's an attractive guitar - even more so when she's all nice and polished up. This guitar is rather unfortunate looking.
    noisewall11
    theshaft wrote: Look at it, it is a piece of sh!t... for all i care it could sound like a gold top and you still couldn't catch me swingin that axe. and cmon guys, you all know that looks are definitely a priority (no matter how hi or low you rank it) i dont care what lying bastards you are
    partially true, the fact is that it's all preference though. this guitar doesn't really look too bad to me, alittle weird but it's different. but you wouldn't catch me dead with something like an upside down flying V for instance or that upside down explorer...or dimebag shaped guitar..or any vapid boring old ibanez that everyone tends to have. and that's what we call opinion here at the school house. and you shed nothing more than that..
    Brandon1993
    RHCPFAN96
    anyway, i dunno why everyone says this guitar is shit, i mean fair enough i never been on one so i dunno how it plays, i never seen one in real life so i dunno how the finish is but tbh i think it looks pretty nice in pictures, but i am easily please
    MaggaraMarine
    Brandon1993 wrote: theshaft : Look at it, it is a piece of sh!t... for all i care it could sound like a gold top and you still couldn't catch me swingin that axe. and cmon guys, you all know that looks are definitely a priority (no matter how hi or low you rank it) i dont care what lying bastards you are Um...and why do looks matter? I play crappy looking guitar and I love them to death. Looks don't matter when playing guitars. YOU choose what suits YOU. You can play the shittiest looking guitar in the world. But if it sounds good to you then keep playing it. Don't let others tell you what you shoud and shouldn't play.
    Looks do matter when you are buying a new guitar. First thing that you pay attention to is looks. You will not pick an ugly guitar, you won't even look at the price tag. But IMO almost all guitars look awesome! Though I'm not really a fan ofthe looks of a Schecter but I could still play it. It doesn't look awful, it just doesn't look cool (don't know why). And I think this guitar looks pretty cool. A bit strange, yeah, but it's cooler to have a Jag than a Strat that everybody has. Jazzmasters, Jaguars and Mustangs are cool and not that ordinary Fenders.
    guitarguyryan94
    slashermaster wrote: ya uh dude might not want to review a guitar that was bought modified and secondhand
    The modification of the guitar wasn't the reason I gave it such a low score. It was just honestly an awful guitar.
    sickassfoo
    i dont like how it looks but its cool that kurt cobain had something to do with it
    jesus=dinosaur
    does anyone else think this looks like it should be in the jetsons? because that is the first thing i thought when i saw this
    bubblegumper
    First, this wansnt Fenders design. Kurt Cobain Designed this. He made it how he wanted it, not you! I actually like it. And before you go out buying random guitars, how about you do research on them. Why don't you sell it for some one who wants it rather than smash it on your drive way. -.-
    In Your Honour
    StratMaster101 wrote: What in the world? That thing looks like crap.
    guessing by ur name the only guitars u think arnt crap r stratocasters who cares about ur opinion i think strats look like crap but thats just my opinion so it doesnt matter what i say so if u hate a guitar dont bother tellin us
    Gibson-SG-14
    Zwart wrote: Ooow that explains a lot! Kurt looks like crap and ugly so his guitar must look ugly too
    is that realy the best insult you can come up with? plus the guitar does look like shit in pictures like alot of guitars do its a good guitar for sound yea my Fiesta Red jag-stang does look a bit orange or pink at times but its a good sounding guitar
    travman_401
    You sound like my 4 yr old bro. Ill admit I dont care much for this guitar. But you sir, are pathetic.
    copmypolop
    It looks friggin pregnant. I love the look of mosrites, jags and mustangs but this certainly looks pretty cruddy.
    Plundermaster
    Why would you capitalize the first letter of every word?
    troykeenan
    the other guitarist in my band plays a jag-stang. i think it sounds amazing and i love playing it but i also think its one ugly guitar
    RadioMuse
    hmm... Personally I like the normal Jags and Jazzmasters better, them things are HOT. This is okay, unique, not really ugly imo, just nothing real pretty either. Bet it plays great though.
    E V H 5150
    I'm sure it's possible to play metal on any guitar, depending on your amp and pedals, and how well you are with EQ.
    SublimeGuitar
    kurdt (or kurt)wanted the guitar to have a mustang pickup in the neck position and a double rail in the bridge position. Also he wanted it to have contours and found it very uncomfortable to play. He rarly played it.
    sigma69
    i agree with pontius the guitar uf used properly can sound really good
    benkarton
    i have a gibson sg standard and a fender jagstang. they are both good. the jagstang has that cool twang and versatile sound. the sg can f***ing rock my socks of with its warm sound and easy playability. so yea they are both awesome guitars. YEAAA!
    nirvanapwns
    he did get to play one before his death and he was disapointed by it and saad_nirvana i agree punk is death green day killed it
    Brandon1993
    Dude this guitar is cool. Whenever I think about getting a new guitar I almost always think about: Fender Jaguars, Epiphone Explorers, Jag-Stangs, or Danelectros. I just don't think that we should worry about looks for this guitar that is stupid
    urkittenpoo
    Why is everyone saying it's ugly? Let me guess, Jag-stang bad, Stratocaster good, Gibson good, different bad. It's different--that's it. I think Les Paul's look like kitten poo. (yes I think kitten poo is funny) If you think it sucks you design a better one.
    PsYkOcHiPmUnK92
    god, this went from a guitar review to an insult contest. this defeats the purpose of this small board. can we keep on topic please? as for the guitar; i am a fan of nirvana. i really havent gotten a chance to pick up one of these. but i cant judge on looks either. i do like the unique look that it has. i hope to pick one up sooner or later. keep rockin' guys, Peace
    acoustielectric
    saad_nirvana wrote: i love the fact that kurt designed it! i HATE the fact that Billie Joe Armstrong plays it Punk is indeed Dead
    Music is dead...
    IRISH_PUNK13
    ok you all need to stop bitching about the looks. its more important how it sounds and feels when you play, not how cool it looks. those of you who think looks are more important than tone are idiots.
    sigma69
    I own one of these and its amzing the kind of ignorant comments you can read in these pages this guitar is INCREDIBLY VERSATILE i haven't found any sound sound i can't nail with it from clean glassy to heavy grunge and i didn't even need to change the pickups the only bad thing about this guitar is the poor sustain probably due to the short scale length but that just makes it easyer to play in my opinion KURT DESIGNED AN AWESOME GUITAR
    PunkyJunky
    '93
    i dont really like it, never tried one but i dont really like the shape and there are no contours (like other fenders) wnhich imo would make it a bit uncomfortable (dont like guitars withough countours)
    KurtCobain23