Jag-Stang review by Fender

Fender: Jag-Stang

Purchased from: Soundcontrol @ Manchester

I play a wide variety of musical styles, and it fits most of them very well. As you might expect, it's good for distorion, however the stock pickups are not particularly high quality, and so hamper its sound. The single coil does give a fairly good low-level distortion, but I would still recommend changing the pickups. It is primarily a guitar for rhythm playing, as it is very difficlt to bend the strings a lot, has a shorter scale neck and the basswood body gives it very little sustain. But chords played on it sound wonderful, and you can Switch from powerful and meaty, to gentle and resounding with relative ease.

I think this is a good all round guitar, though as I said, not for lead playing. I have had it for two years, and I am very happy with it, the wonderful tone I can get from it quickly cancels out any of the flaws. If it were stolen, I would be forced to hunt down the theif and subject him/her to a horrifically painful death, as Fender have stopped production. The only thing I wish was different, is a Tune-O-Matic bridge instead of the God awful floating trem.

I have played it live several times, and it has suffered a few knocks which are only visable upon close inspection. It does have an annoying tendancy to suddenly drop out of tune, but as long as the bridge is left alone, I have found it not to be a problem.

When I bought the guitar, it was almost perfectly set up; the only problem I encountered was that the action was too low, causing a sizable amount of string buzz. Other than that it was completely fine, though as mentioned earlier the floating tremolo bridge winds me up endlessly.

It's a 2004 Japanese reissue, in sonic blue. It has 22 frets, a rosewood fretboard and a maple neck. It has a solid basswood body, with a body type which is a blend of the Mustang and Jaguar (as indicated by the name). The basswood makes it a lot lighter than other guitars, and the pickup controls (two on-off-phase switches, one for each pickup) are easy to use. It also has master volume and tone controls, for the sigle coil and humbucker pickups. The Stratocaster style headstock is laminated, and has the "designed by Kurt Cobain" mark on the back. The only bad feature is the floating tremolo, which makes the whole thing go out of tune if it is so much as breathed on. Also, the body has no contours, which is annoying, but scarcely a serious problem.