Jag-Stang review by Fender

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Fender: Jag-Stang

Purchased from: Sound Control

I play mostly Pink Floyd'ie Dire Straits'ie John Mayer'ie sounding music, with a love for simple clean sounding acoustic playing. I play through a Vox DA15 occasionally with a Zoom G2 pedal, On the right combinations of the pickups the guitar sounds very good, but on some it sounds noisy, and very muddy and unclear. The neck pickup sounds loud and clear as a bell, but unfortunately its the humbucker that's lacking and just sounds muddy and washed out.

I've been playing guitar for around 8 years, and this guitar plays a lot of the music I like well, I have 4 guitars, and prefer this over my Gibson SG Special. Something just feels right about it. Unfortunately I cannot say the same about the electronic, I'm constantly worried that its going to break again, and would like to swap out the humbucker for a less muddy rock sound, and possibly replace the neck with a Fender gold Lace sensor.

A year or 2 after I got the guitar some wiring come undone in the tone controls, I took the parts apart to examine it to discover that the wire's are tiny, and very, very fragile looking. It has since been repaired, but if anymore wiring comes loosing I'm going to rewire it all with better wire. Because of this I do not think it is a very durable guitar combined with how easy it is to mark, this isnt helped by the elong-gated butt which is easy to forget about, lean it against a couch for a second and wham, another ding in the finish. The strap buttons are bomb proof and the actual hardware seems good, apart from the wiring.

When I first got the guitar it needed the nut filed down to stop the G-string buzzing. I never got to experience the factory settings as it was set up in the shop. The guitar was in perfect condition aesthetically although in my experience it has proven easy to damage, but it does look very pretty. When I first got it I thought everything about the guitar was hideous, but after a few years its grown on me, and I now adore the shape, similarly I hated the fiesta red. I now have other guitars in that colour, it just grew on me.

2006, Crafted in Japan Fender Jag-Stang in Fiesta red with a polyuretahne finish. Bass wood body, with a Strat in the neck and a humbucker slanted at the bridge. The controls are just basic Mustang controls, the most notable feature of the guitar is the extended butt.

spiroth10
    the reason this guitar ONCE was considered shit -- and still IS by the minority not retarded or brainwashed from the shit they feed us and the pollution, is simply that it doesn't get really desireable tones. wheras normal jags mustangs and jazzmasters get a variety of smooth and twangy tones, this thing gets muddy, dirty, unintelligible sounds. and its not a good, different kind of unique like danelectro guitars. its like a poorly made guitar that just never should have been. even with fenders best efforts to make it a high quality instrument. you could throw $40,000 at this guitar, and unless you change the pickup placement to the ordinary one, instead of having it offset for cool looks and angst, you can never make it sound right or the pole pieces match up, I went out looking for a vid of it sounding good. even decent. a bunch of idiots were like 'its mah favorite gitarr. kirt koban u9sed it an I cant play anyone else musakk so good!' maybe that's too much, maybe it does look cool, and I wish it sounded good. but it doesn't. fender put it out there because he was famous -- kurt even stopped using the guitar quickly after it came out (because he too realized it blew chunks and he wasn't an engineer) and he died. after people got over the damn hype, they realized it sucked, and the prices fell to damn near nothing. now that its 'rare' and cool, I guess old fans have forgotton how bad this instrument is, and new ones are too busy dredging it up and being enchanted by garbage making it 'vintage' rare or desireable. let this piece of shit fade into history already.