Jaguar review by Fender

Fender: Jaguar

Purchased from: musicians friend

This guitar was made for surf and rock, but the pickups didn't work well, so I replaced with humbuckers, like the Jaguar (not Jag-Stang) Kurt Cobain used. I play mostly metal, hard rock, and grunge. This suits my style perfectly. On the lead circuit the guitar functions normally, the knobs are active and so are both pickups. The rhythm circuit gives you just the neck pickup so you have a brighter tone and the sliding controls are active for the neck pickup. The lead circuit is good and all, but where it really shines is the rhythm circuit. This guitar suits most styles of music (I haven't anything but what I normally play).

I've been playing for a little more than a year. I got the money to buy it, along with the amp, from a slot machine. Lucky, huh? I also own a standard tele, a Jag-Stang, and an Ibanez jetking. I picked this one because of my Jag-Stang. My favorite feature is the rhythm circuit, it's amazing. If it was stolen, I'd definetly get a new one, particulary black finsh. The other amp I have is a Fender Princeton 65 DSP. It definetly sounds better through my twin reverb. What can I say, this is some of Fender's greatest work.

I replaced the strap buttons with strap locks, just because I like the locks better, I didn't really need to. I've bumped it a few times and not a single scratch. I would definetly gig without a backup. The hardware is made to last. I totally trust it.

The guitar was set up perfectly at the factory. Even though I replaced the pickups, the guitar performs prefectly. The did not need any adjustment. I don't often use the trem bar because to much usage will really put the guitar out of tune fast. The finsh is perfect. Enough said. I play through a Fender Twin Reverb amp With a DigiTech Grunge distortion pedal. It is just amazing.

This is an American Vintage series 62' Jaguar reissue. I replaced the single coils with d'marzio evolution humbuckers. It's a 3-color sunburst finish with a Vintage floating trem tail piece and a removable mute bar. Sorry, no picture provided. It has master volume and tone controls, three 2-position on/off phase swithches (two for lead circuit, one for rhythm circuit). On the top left side of the guitar, there's two sliding volume controls for the rhythm circuit, and a 2-position rhythm/lead circuit selector Switch. It's unusually shaped alder body gives full access to the upper frets. Made in japan, 22 frets, 24" scale.It looks like the Jag-Stang without the cutaway and with a thicker body. Weighs 8 pounds.

Tsar66
    At least they're not as expensive as Gibsons.
    ikarian-pride
    now i really wnt this guitar i just bought my first electric so im out of cash i guess by the time i get bored of my guitar ill have enough money to by this one(hopefully)
    Jag65
    1965 American Vintage Jaguar time capsule just arrived from UPS. $1800 in 2012 is really $245 1965 according to this inflation calculator! http://146.142.4.24/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=18 00.00
    Jagster
    poipoi wrote: I'm looking around for a guitar atm, and (for now) it's between this and a Jazzmaster. Just one question, I'm not a really agressive player, but I'm not soft either, would the detuning of the strings be that annoying, or is it ok?
    Should be fine. Nirvana (Cobain) often played his Jags or Mustangs in drop tunings or with lowered tunings of 1 or 2 semi-tones.
    '93
    they are not ugly...like the mustang they ave to grow on you
    poipoi
    alex g 38
    Thrash_fire666 wrote: I have to agree fenders are pretty ugly im a B.C rich guy myself
    I think Fenders are the best looking guitars and BC Rich's are the worst, but I'm not really into metal, and thats what they're made for.
    crazy8rgood
    vegetassj4 wrote: Fenders are pretty nice. I have to agree the Jaguar is kinda ugly though...
    I dont agree, i think they look sweet i want a jag so bad
    <APOV>
    I'm getting a custom shop jag made for myself at the moment. It's the only way I could get a lefty since they're not generally made for my kind and it's only costing AU$6k. I think Jaguar's are the greatest (:
    hamsta_hobo
    to keirans239, you ill or something? i have a bc rich ironbird trem (got it for sod all cash) and its ****ing awesome! ive had it for three years and im only just getting around to having a pickup upgrade as the stocks are so good!
    Kierans239
    most b.c rich's are shit though... you have to spen a good 1000 or so to get a half decent one... fenders are awesome... don't really like tele's that much in looks but my strat is awesome even though its a mexican...
    J.J.G.
    great sound,but this guitar is just.....ugly ( srry fender lovers)
    The_Pretender95
    i still prefer the olmpic white mustang...but i played a jaguar once @ a friends house andit was ok
    nirvanapwns
    millynell14 wrote: nirvanapwns wrote: i wish i was a rich person that way i could buy it (the world would be a happier place if fenders were cheaper) If they were cheaper they would be crappy quality and they wouldnt mean as much to some people and it gives you something to aim for
    yeah i guess youre right
    super7am
    thanks for the great reveiws i am currently tossing up between a strat, cyclone or jaguar as my new axe (currently i own a squier bullet strat)
    millynell14
    nirvanapwns
    ich-komme
    I've played the Squier Jagmaster, and that is a killer guitar. I think this one will be just as good tho play, but with the abscence of humbuckers that might affect the sound quality. Still a brilliant guitar though.
    getts182
    I picked one of the Japanese Jags up at Guitar Center, and it sounded killer, I can't wait to get one of them for myself. I'd buy it off of Musician's Friend, though, it's like $70 less for the same guitar.
    fenderdude0071
    i have the one with the humbuckers plays like a dreams and much suits my style that and i have a cyclone with three jag picups
    piratemetalhead
    I'm so getting one of these for my birthday. But like, 3 years later, soo... Anyways, I dont get why so many people think they're ugly. Imo, they look pretty cool.
    untitled039
    joshsatt wrote: i play classic rock, especially zeppelin, and blues. What should i get, this or a standard strat w/ heavy upgrades.
    The Standard Strat would be better but don't get me wrong this is an awesome guitar, I want it so much!!
    joshsatt
    Mild Vibe
    I'm saving up for a Jag, and can not ****ing wait 'til I get the money! It will be a happy day indeed.
    Strongbow
    I love these guitars, great reviews but what do the phase switches do? what sound is given? sorry if its a stupid question.