Jaguar review by Fender

Fender: Jaguar

Purchased from: peter cooks

This is certainly one of the most versatile guitars I've played. It provides anything from a 60's twangy rock sound to a relatively mellow sound. The lead and rhythm circuits provide many different combinations of sound. The trem-bar is also very good, you can get some great surf sounds from it. The phase Switch can provide a subtle difference to tone too. I use this with a chorus, phaser, overdrive and an equalizer. I have a crate gx-65 amp for practice and a vox amp for stage use. It works excellent for both transistor and valve amps.

I know you supposedly dont show glowing reviews but honestly, I spent ages looking to flaw this guitar and all I came up with is the slight bridge problem. I played several guitars before purchasing and in the end it was a toss up between the jag, and a jazzmaster (similar but with humbuckers). If this were stolen I would slaughter the thief(lol) or just buy another. This is truly an awesome axe, so versatile even for passive electronics. Once I get the Mustang bridge it would be completely flawless. Its purely a matter of personal taste of the colour, but I like surf green, especially with a matching coloured headstock. It's like marmite, 'you either love it or you hate it'!

This guitar would definitely suit live playing, both for sound and playability. The strap buttons seem to work well for my strap, but I got strap locks just in case. I doubt I would need a backup, it's strong, solid and very dependable. The finish is excellent too. The only minor concern is the bridge. If you are a hard player, really hit the strings, the strings are occasionally liable to slip off the saddle grooves. This can change the tuning of the guitar slightly and the strings are in odd positions. This is notorious only on the jags. So what I intend to do is to replace the bridge with a Mustang bridge which resolves the problem nicely. This is a problem only if you play hard.

This was set-up at the shop perfectly. The action was mid, good for lead and rhythm work. The strings jumped out of the saddles during postage-no biggy. Everything worked, and still works fine.

This is a Japanese made Fender Jaguar. It has a rosewood fingerboard on a maple neck and alder body (I think). It has a floating trem style bridge and two Jaguar single coil pickups. The pickups are arranged for rhythm and lead circuits. The lead circuit can utilise both of the pickups whereas the rhythm only uses the neck pickup. Both circuits have a volume and tone control, whether it be two wheels or knobs. The lead circuit has two switches to turn on or off the pickups, and a Switch to bring the two pickups out of phase. Lots of stuff.