Jaguar review by Fender

Fender: Jaguar

Purchased from: Singapore

I play a lot of different kinds of music. Mainly hard rock, rock, alternative rock, metal, blues. This guitar is extremely versatile. I rely a lot on it's cleans. With my Laney LC15R, the cleans sound really good. This guitar can get into metal territory too, though I use an EHX Metal Muff. My favourite band is the Red Hot Chili Peppers and I can roughly get John Frusciante's great tone. I still have to experiment a bit. It is quite trebly, but that's expected of a single coil Jaguar. I kinda expected it to be really noisy, but to my suprise, hardly any noise can be heard from the Jaguar. I rely a lot on my rythm pickup.

The Jaguar is my second electric guitar, my Mexican Strat being the first. The Jaguar sounds and feels lot better than the Strat. After I got the Jaguar, every other guitar I've tried sounded inferior to the Jaguar. Including a Gibson Les Paul Custom that belongs to a friend and a custom American Fender Telecaster that my singer/rythm guitarist uses. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely get the Jaguar again. A second choice would be to get a Mustang.

The Jaguar dosen't go out of tune when I use the trem. Once I decided to try out it's tuning stability. I abused the trem, and it still was in tune. I was really suprised. However, once, before a gig, my strap (now I use a locking strap) gave way, and my Jaguar fell. Ouch. No dents or scratches or anything. My guitar went horribly out of tune. Luckily I went to do a triple-check on my tuning right before the show, so I saved myself from horrible humiliation. Other than that, it is very reliable. I dropped it a couple times, banged it against corners, walls accidentally, etc, but no dents at all.

When I got it, it was setup badly. There was newspapers stuffed into the body. However, the fault was not the guitar's but the store's. The colour coat feels great.The neck also feels really great. The power of nitro cellulose. People complain about the Jaguar bridge, but the guitar sting will only slip out of the bridge's grooves if it's poorly set up. I experienced that problem too, but after I sent it to a setup, I didn't experience that problem again.

American Vintage '62 series, American made. Ocean turquiose finish. 22 Vintage style frets. C-shaped neck, nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Alder body. The bridge is a Vintage style floating trem, and it has a button to lock your trem. The controls were quite confusing to me at the begining when I first acquired my Jaguar. On the top left side, there is a Switch so you can Switch from the rythm and lead. There are 2 sliding-control-thingys to adjust volume and tone. On the top right side, there are 3 switches, which will work only when the lead circuit is used. One to turn on the neck pickup and one to turn on the bridge pickup.The third Switch is a lead tone modifying Switch. On the bottom right side, there is a volume and tone knob for the lead circuit. The tremelo arm is floating, and very easy to use. The guitar comes with a brown hardshell case with a few cleaning accessories, a guitar strap which I don't need and an extra set of Jaguar strings.