Jaguar Baritone Special HH review by Fender

Fender: Jaguar Baritone Special HH

Purchased from: Sam-Ash

I play any kind of modern rock/metal that sounds good at the moment, this can range from Linkin Park to Meshuggah. I mainly bought this guitar because Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, and Staind play baritones, and my Strat sounds sloppy going that low. I use it on an Orange CR20LDX, and a Peavey Vypyr 75. It sounds better on the Orange, however. Combined with the Orange and a decent distortion pedal (I use an XT-2 or an ML-2), I can get BB or Chevelle's sound almost perfectly, but to play Staind, it would need slightly hotter pickups.

Like I stated earlier, I bought this guitar for a specific purpose, and it has definitely lived up to my expectations. I have been playing for about four or five years, and this is definitely one of my favorite guitars. If it was stolen, I would hunt the person down and put them in a coma. If it were lost... Well, I doubt I would lose it. When I was searching for a suitable baritone, I was looking at this and a PRS Mike Mushok SE. I never got to compare them, but after buying a Mushok, they are about equal, except the Mushok has slightly hotter pickups. Overall, this guitar is a piece of art. If you're looking to get a decent Baritone for around $500-$600 used, get this and skip over the Epiphone Les Paul Baritone.

I have extreme confidence that it would withstand a show, it is actually one of (if not) my most reliable guitar(s). Everything about it is solid, it's the best MIJ that I have ever played, and has far more superior quality than the other MIJ's that I have seen. I have a story about an MB-5 bass, but I'll save that for it's review when I write it.

When I got this guitar from Sam-Ash, I noticed two things. One, it was tuned in standard, and Two, it had .09-.46 strings on it. After swapping the strings with .13-.62's, I did some research. For whatever reason, Fender shipped it with the .09's on it. I will say one thing about the string gauges on this though, I have tried .14-.68 as well, it definitely likes the .13's better. Other than that, the guitar was perfect. It didn't need set up, and had no fret buzz when bought. I kind of wonder how many people left the .09's on it though...

Ok, I figured since there's not a review for this bad boy on here that I would go ahead and write one. I believe it was either made in '08 or '09, purchased new in march of '10. For those of you not familiar with Baritone guitars, they are generally a longer scale length than a Standard guitar. I believe Baritone scale starts at 26.5 inches, and they are generally tuned B-b. This Jaguar, however is a 27-inch scale guitar. It has a solid-top alder body with a beautiful maple neck/rosewood fingerboard. The back of the neck actually has a wonderful gloss finish, as well. It has what Fender calls an "Adjusto-matic" Bridge, basically the same as the bridge on a Les Paul or SG. The pickups are passive MIJ Dragster Humbuckers, and it has Vintage tuners. As for accessories, it came with a deluxe gig bag, manual, and for some reason a whammy bar. The guitar doesn't have a trem, but for some reason it came with a whammy. I'm giving it a 9 because the Vintage tuners don't accept Baritone strings very well.

atomica
    hey my names 'Robert Atom' (facebook me) and i had my fender jaguar baritone-identical to this pictured above- STOLEN from my house in kitchener last september 2012 and im on a head-hunt for the ****er who either stole it, or whoever has it. if u care to help me find it, then plz facebook me and ill release the serial # to anyone who cwood PLEASE help me find this rare gem i saved so much to buy! i only had it 2months, so if anyone has any info about my guitar, please facebook me -Robert Atom
    CapnKickass
    I've always liked the look of jaguars. I'd love try this thing, looks deadly, probably sounds awesome.
    baritowned
    Hrbč wrote: Did you have any issues with the transition to longer scale?
    chy_qn
    baritowned wrote: Hrbč wrote: Did you have any issues with the transition to longer scale? Only slightly, mainly because I play both bass and guitar. The only thing different besides the longer neck is that you have to put more pressure down on the lower strings
    well, you can always try setting the strings a little bit closer to the fretboard, can't you?
    baritowned
    seemeel wrote: Reviewer wrote: For those of you not familiar with Baritone guitars, they are generally a longer scale length than a Standard guitar. I expect that baritone guitars are ALWAYS, not generally, a longer scale than a standard guitar. Otherwise, it would just be a standard guitar with alternate tuning. This review is too generous.
    I put that in there because I know people who have been playing longer than I have that had no idea what a baritone was until I explained it to them. And I wasn't being generous, the guitar is honestly one of the best that I have played.
    seemeel
    baritowned wrote: And I wasn't being generous, the guitar is honestly one of the best that I have played.
    Well may it be, but I challenge you to go and play a Gibson Les Paul or an ESP Custom model, and then re-evaluate your assessment of this Jag.
    kodadak wrote: ^ fender owns Gibson anyday and ESP can suck it, the Jag wins
    Agreed. I have played a Gibson baritone, and an ESP baritone, this blew them both away. The only thing I would consider better is the PRS Mushok, only because of the wide/thin neck.
    kodadak wrote: fender owns Gibson anyday and ESP can suck it, the Jag wins
    Fender does not own Gibson, in any sense of the word. They are independent corporations, and have been since 1946. I'm going to assume that you've played neither a Gibson or an ESP, if you believe what you've written. If you're honestly of that opinion, then you have very odd standards for rating guitars. Otherwise, it's just trolling. Not very clever or funny at all, dude. Baritone guitars are a niche market, and perhaps the Gibson and ESP offerings aren't brilliant. I don't know. But in general terms, both Gibson and ESP (and Fender, for that matter) have simply superb top-flight instruments. I challenge you to play a Les Paul Standard or a Horizon Custom and still say that they can "suck it".
    S7A1ND
    no doubt that this is a great baritone! When i was buying my baritone, I couldn't decide between the PRS Mike Mushok or the Agile AL-2800. In the end, i went with the Agile, and i have been very impressed... great sound and lowest price tag of any of them. Agile is a very under-rated company. (give them a try!)