Jaguar Baritone Special HH Review

manufacturer: Fender date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Fender: Jaguar Baritone Special HH
This Jaguar is a 27-inch scale guitar. It has a solid-top alder body with a beautiful maple neck/rosewood fingerboard. The back of the neck actually has a wonderful gloss finish, as well.
 9.6
 9.8
 9.3
 7,725
review (1) pictures (1) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Jaguar Baritone Special HH Reviewed by: baritowned, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Sam-Ash

Features: Ok, I figured since there's not a review for this bad boy on here that I would go ahead and write one. I believe it was either made in '08 or '09, purchased new in march of '10. For those of you not familiar with Baritone guitars, they are generally a longer scale length than a Standard guitar. I believe Baritone scale starts at 26.5 inches, and they are generally tuned B-b. This Jaguar, however is a 27-inch scale guitar. It has a solid-top alder body with a beautiful maple neck/rosewood fingerboard. The back of the neck actually has a wonderful gloss finish, as well. It has what Fender calls an "Adjusto-matic" Bridge, basically the same as the bridge on a Les Paul or SG. The pickups are passive MIJ Dragster Humbuckers, and it has Vintage tuners. As for accessories, it came with a deluxe gig bag, manual, and for some reason a whammy bar. The guitar doesn't have a trem, but for some reason it came with a whammy. I'm giving it a 9 because the Vintage tuners don't accept Baritone strings very well. // 9

Sound: I play any kind of modern rock/metal that sounds good at the moment, this can range from Linkin Park to Meshuggah. I mainly bought this guitar because Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, and Staind play baritones, and my Strat sounds sloppy going that low. I use it on an Orange CR20LDX, and a Peavey Vypyr 75. It sounds better on the Orange, however. Combined with the Orange and a decent distortion pedal (I use an XT-2 or an ML-2), I can get BB or Chevelle's sound almost perfectly, but to play Staind, it would need slightly hotter pickups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar from Sam-Ash, I noticed two things. One, it was tuned in standard, and Two, it had .09-.46 strings on it. After swapping the strings with .13-.62's, I did some research. For whatever reason, Fender shipped it with the .09's on it. I will say one thing about the string gauges on this though, I have tried .14-.68 as well, it definitely likes the .13's better. Other than that, the guitar was perfect. It didn't need set up, and had no fret buzz when bought. I kind of wonder how many people left the .09's on it though... // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have extreme confidence that it would withstand a show, it is actually one of (if not) my most reliable guitar(s). Everything about it is solid, it's the best MIJ that I have ever played, and has far more superior quality than the other MIJ's that I have seen. I have a story about an MB-5 bass, but I'll save that for it's review when I write it. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I stated earlier, I bought this guitar for a specific purpose, and it has definitely lived up to my expectations. I have been playing for about four or five years, and this is definitely one of my favorite guitars. If it was stolen, I would hunt the person down and put them in a coma. If it were lost... Well, I doubt I would lose it. When I was searching for a suitable baritone, I was looking at this and a PRS Mike Mushok SE. I never got to compare them, but after buying a Mushok, they are about equal, except the Mushok has slightly hotter pickups. Overall, this guitar is a piece of art. If you're looking to get a decent Baritone for around $500-$600 used, get this and skip over the Epiphone Les Paul Baritone. // 10

Comments