Jaguar HH review by Fender

Fender: Jaguar HH

I play mostly progressive rock, experimental rock, metal, and ambient music, and this guitar surprisingly nails them all. I play it through a Bogner Uberschall and an Ernie Ball Volume, Crybaby From Hell, Ibanez Tube Screamer, Boss Noise Supressor, Line 6 DL4 Delay, Line 6 FM4, DigiTech Whammy, Banshee Talkbox, Boss DD6 Delay, Boss dual pedal Loop Station, Holy Grail Reverb, Boss Tuner, Mxr Phase 90, Boss tremelo, and DOD flanger. Even through all of this gear, the guitar keeps a tame noise level, with almost no noise at all. It has a brighter sound than my Epi Les Paul Custom, but not overly bright. It really shines when run through a really nice delay and overdrive, and it is very versitile either way. It's sound is an acquired taste, but once given some time and some tweaking it will definitely become an outstanding guitar in your eyes.

This guitar definitely fits everything from blues and classic rock to the heaviest of metal and progressive rock. I have been playing for 3 to 3 and a half years and this is probably my favorite guitar, among a Les Paul Custom and a Schecter Omen 6. I play it through a Bogner head and an old Peavey cabinet, as well as the mentioned pedals. If it were stolen or lost, I would sure be disappointed, and wouldn't be able to get another guitar for a while. Even if I got another Jaguar, it wouldn't be the same as the one I had, so I would probably get another guitar. I love this guitar dearly, but I just don't like the tuners. I chose this over a Gibson SG and a Fender Telecaster strictly for how comfortable it was and how radical it looked. It turned out sounding pretty darn good too! I'm sure to keep this guitar through the rest of high school and through the rest of my music career. I highly recommend it for any musician looking for something different.

I have played this guitar everywhere from the main stage of the Worcester Palladium to extremely tiny venues and houses and this baby can withstand it all. The hardware seems like it will last a long time, but will probably need to be changed eventually. I've changed the strap buttons to Dunlop Straplocks, but only because I do extreme things with the guitar Live. The buttons it came with are fine for the normal guitarist. I would no doubt gig with is, as I have, but I bring a backup no matter what. You never know when you'll break a string! The finish seems rock solid, but I've only dropped it a few times. Overall, it seems really dependable.

All of the adjustments, except for the strings, are stock on my guitar. It was set up great from the get-go, and it was even a floor model. The bridge is pretty good, but occasionally the low E comes off the saddle. Ironicly, only when I'm playing live! Other than that, I can't spot any flaws.

This Jaguar was made in Japan, and I believe it's a 2006 model. It has a 24 inch scale neck with 22 frets. It's a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, pretty Standard. It has a black alder body with all chrome hardware, which looks great. It has a Tune-O-Matic style bridge instead of the typical Jaguar tremelo. It has passive electronics with dual volume and dual tone controls, as well as an unusual killswitch, lead circuit, and 2 position tone control. These electronics can be hard to get used to but they are no doubt helpful and ultimately easy to use. There are two Dragster humbuckers instead of single coils, which sound absolutely fantastic. The tuners are Vintage style Fender tuners, which can get annoying to change strings in my opinion. They keep tune fairly well except with lower tunings, so I'm considering changing them. It has all of the basics and more.

anuar_grg
    Brandon1993
    mwbewick you lucky bastard. I have always wanted a Jaguar ever since I first saw one then when I saw the Gunmetal Red Burst one it made wan one even more!!
    mwbewick
    Kootaroo yeah, I have a red/gunmetal burst and it looks beautiful: a JGS-78, is that right? Haven't seen one since I got mine a few years back. Had the opportunity to record with it through two AC-30s - what an amazing warm sound. Only thing I will say is that it does pick up some hum through the electrics apparently common with Jags. It needs soundproofed.
    JayJayE
    I got one of these but swapped the humbuckers for SD Phat Cats. It's actually a very good mod, the big singles suit this guitar very well. The short scale and Gibson style bridge with fat singles and a Fender construction make it like a big Fender sound with the feel of a Gibson. The only weakness is the action and lack of sustain, but that can be gotten around with echos, reverbs and a playing style.
    kootaroo
    i love this guitar and all and its amazing one of my dream guitars.... but recently they discounted the red gunmetal brust and the 3-tone brown brust....the only one of these guitars you can buy now is the black ones and if you ask me those might go soon if you were to ask my guess cause they are on sale
    celticstorm84
    I have one of these. Never cared for Fenders much but needed a mellowed out guitar instead of using a metal machine. This did it. For the type of guitar, it's capability and price it's hard to compete with.
    Philly C
    dude i felt the same way before i bought it,it dosent hurt at all its very comfortable and easy to get around, i have fairly big hands and was concerned it was going to be a little small but it flies, its a very comfortable neck. and a good size. its surprisingly light weight as well
    Nightfyre wrote: how does the 24" scale feel compared to a 25" or 25.5" scale? i like the looks but i don't know about the shorter scale.
    DWslider
    anuar_grg wrote: I have Jaguar Classic Player Special HH. I don't know if its because my lack of knowledge or there's a problem with the guitar. When the upper switch, the lead/ rhythm switch toggles toward the neck , I can't get any sound. But when it is toggle away from the neck, I can get the sound. What's the deal? killswitch or faulty mechanics?
    I've got the classic hh too, that switch is indeed the killswitch. Such a lovely guitar maybe throw a review up for it soon.
    KurdtStaley
    I think I'm going to buy one of these soon (like in the next two weeks). A few days ago I was more thinking of getting an LP or maybe an SG (because I already own two Fender guitars) but then at my local GC today I picked up one of these and no I just can't stop thinking about it... I bet I'll end up buying it before then lol. Probably like Friday.
    sandman-105
    well there is a killswitch some where on the classic but i dont own one so IDK its location
    alfonzo99
    I ordered one on monday and I cannot wait. I love the shape and the sound. I have a Zakk Wylde Les Paul and it will be a great addition to my rig.
    toyboxmonster
    To the guy above me: You're talking about the HH Classic Player. Totally different animal; the HH Classic player is the one with the trem arm. Another huge difference between the two guitars is that the the HH Classic Player has a coil split rather than circuit selector switch, which means its humbuckers can be converted into single coils.
    cLuMsY
    I was lucky enough to pick up a 3 color Rosewood HH Jaguar last week...and I've hardly put it down since!...The tone and sound is beautiful and works for pretty much any style of music you want (I mainly play Reggae/Jazz/Soul). I've wanted a Jag since I saw Kurt Cobain's modified version in 1994...I just prefer its look to that of the Strat and Telecaster and it has so many different sound options to play with... I read a lot of reviews of Jags before I bought one and most people complained about problems with staying in tune due to the floating tremelo and the fact the strings pop out of their grooves. HOWEVER!...Most of the old problems have been totally sorted out for the HH Classic version i.e. a Gibson style Tune-O-Matic bridge. Also...the way to stop the strings popping out is to use Heavy Flatwound strings. Fender originally designed this guitar for Surf music and Jazz and recommend you use Flatwounds. I haven't got round to changing mine yet, but then to be fair; nothing's popped out yet! One thing that makes me laugh about the Jaguar is that when I told my various Musician mates that I was getting one...they all said: "you lucky bastard!...I've always wanted one!" And yet no one seems to actually buy one (opting for Strats, Tele's or Les Pauls instead)...more fool them I say!...If you're lucky enough to spot a HH in a shop then get it (I had to buy mine online 'cos no one seems to stock it in England)...
    willwelsh816
    Wow, I've never seen someone drop a guitar before, I always catch it with my frett hand. Great review tho, i heard strings never break on the Jaguar, because it doesnt have a floating tremlo like a strat
    LeeA1991
    i've got this guitar and i love it :-0 everythin from the unique look to the sounds is just amazing the tuners are a right pain in the arse when changing strings but (N)
    RatmN'Roses
    pinksalmon wrote: just got to play my friends jaguar and i like the feel of it and i want an HH guitar. maybe this next.
    the jaguar hh is a very different guitar than the original. the only thing thats the same is the scale length, the body shape and the controls, thats about it. i would try out the hh before going for it.
    pinksalmon
    SideshowRaven24
    tortillamaster wrote: i'm sorry. i'm ususally not such a twat but that has got to be quite possibly the greatest mis-use of the word irony i've ever come across. guitar sounds nice though
    hahaha! dude i go back and read this afterwards and I realize that I sounded idiotic. Good call though, good call. I think I spelled ironically wrong too.
    Radical_Rodent
    Having had one for a close to a year and having played my fair share of other guitars (a Flying V, a Strat, a Dot, a Tele, a Les Paul, etc...) I think the smaller scale feels a lot smoother than the standard 25 or 25.5.
    Nightfyre