Jeff Beck Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Jeff Beck Stratocaster

Purchased from: Ted Good Music

I need to be able to play anything from Deep Purple to Walter Trout to Elvis Presley to country and Fender Strats have always been able to deliver. This guitar has that Stratocaster sound but with it's own set of unique characteristics, it's a little darker sounding than usual, but at the same time, the bridge pickup can really scream. Unlike a conventional Stratocaster, the bridge pickup has it's own tone control and this is necessary at times to "tone" it down. What sets it apart are the noiseless ceramic pickups. Through the clean channel of my Marshall JCM 2000, it is easy to dial in that old Strat twang like through an old Fender Twin, but kick the Marshall into overdrive on the crunch or lead channel, and it's slightly higher output (I am comparing it to a 1979 Statocaster) lets it Drive the Marshall very nicely. However, it is not the same as my Les Paul with P-90s, which will produce a creamier overdrive sound due to the higher output of the Gibson pickups. But even though the Fender pickups are not as hot, they got the tone, and lots of it. And best of all, this guitar is quiet! Venues where the Les Paul would be almost unplayable are simply not an issue for this Stratocaster. Even with the JCM 2000, I usually boost the signal level of the guitar through a tubescreamer, then turn the volume on the guitar down to.

I love this guitar and will keep it for a long time. It is a versatile instrument. I have been playing for 37 years and I am not a collector. My guitars need to work for me and I don't need more than three or four. I have a Gibson Les Paul Special with P-90s, A 1979 Fender Statocaster with several modifications and the new Jeff Beck Strat. I plan to add a Tele soon. I mostly use the Marshall half stack for gigs and a mini Marshall for really small venues. I also have a 1964-5 Fender Tremolux which has not seen the Jeff Beck Strat yet, and I use an old Peavey Chorus 130 for rehearsing which sounds great with every guitar but has no botton end. And I have a three foot wide pedal board hand wired with high quality cable and connectors to various pedals. I would defintely buy another one of these guitars if it were stolen. In my opinion nothing represents rock'n'roll more than a white Fender Stratocaster. My second choice would be a Fender Deluxe Strat with two-tone sunburst and noiseless pickups.

This guitar will easily withstand Live playing. It is a rock solid guitar now that I have the new neck on it, cheerfully provided under warranty by Fender. The strap buttons are the locking type which is a thoughtful feature, almost everybody removes the conventional strap buttons, like I did after dropping my '79 Strat on my sax player's horn back in the 80's. The poly finish on this guitar looks so good it is beyond words, you have to see one in person to appreciate it. The poly finish seems very durable. Time will tell. Poly does not wear off easy like the old nitro finishes and really has little to no impact on tone that can't be compensated for in some other way (my opinion). I always have a backup on stage. Strings can and do break from time to time, although attention to the string contact points goes a long way to eliminating any problems. I also find certain sting brands to be more durable than others.

When the guitar was ordered, I was informed that there would a waiting period as they were no models currently in production. Then, out of the blue, a "brand new" Jeff Beck Strat arrived. As soon as I looked at it I knew Olypic White was the right color. Photos do not do justice to this colour! The creamy white poly finish was absolute perfection, beautiful workmanship and finish on the body, the neck and the frets. The satin finish on the back of the neck is smooth and fast. Very few guitars come from the factory set up just right. I immediately changed the strings from the stock 9-42s to a heavier set of 10-52s. This is personal preference and not a set-up issue. While adjusting the neck I noticed the truss rod was very stiff, so rather than force it I made arrangements to have the dealer look at it after the next gig. In the meantime I decided to change the neck tilt (this guitar has the micro-tilt adjustmment which I find to be very useful in getting the action just right)and adjust the action at the nut. On this particular guitar the LSR roller nut was slightly high for my tastes, but unfortunately, the nut was already set as low as it could go. Normally there would be thin metal shims that could be removed to lower the nut in.005" increments, but this nut had no shims at all. That could end up being a real problem at some point down the road when the frets are leveled and recrowned. Action at the nut would be even worse. I new this was going to be a big problem for me. So I took it back to the dealer and pointed out the truss rod and nut problems. When they tried to adjust the neck the allen wrench just slipped in the truss rod nut, almost like the wrench was too small or the nut too big. Then I noticed that the string angle off the nut to the machines was almost flat on the E string, consequently there was not enough pressure exerted on the nut and that effected the clarity of the open E string (this guitar does not use string trees but rather controls string angle by lowering the sring at the tuning peg). That should have worked but upon closer inspection of the peg head I noticed that it was out of it's plane slightly. It started at 6.35mm away from the strings at the nut and by the high E it was only 4.76mm away, basically defeating the purpose of the using staggered machine heads. I knew the action could be better and that I would never be happy with the neck, so after discussing the issue with the dealer, a replacement neck was ordered under warranty. When the new neck came quite a few weeks later, I ran into a different problem, the nut slot was cut too low on the new neck so now the roller nut sat so low on the high E side that there was no relief at the first fret. So back to the dealer to order shims which should have been sent out with the neck in the first place. OK, shims installed, neck tilt adjusted, truss rod much, much better, the wrench actually fit right, everything else adjusted to Fender specifications except there was still too much relief in the neck and the truss rod was getting too tight. So I loosened the srings, lossened the truss rod, has someone firmly hold the guitar down while I manually pulled the neck into a back bend and tightend the truss rod. Presto! Problem solved. Action is now better than Fender specs and the guitar feels great! I have played a number of gigs in a wide range of temperature/humidity conditions and the neck has only needed very minor tweaks, which is normal. As anyone should do with a new Strat, I smoothed out every point of sring contact on the guitar, except of course the roller nut, and lubricated every point of contact.

I am reviewing a 2006 Jeff Beck Artist Series Stratocaster made in the USA. It's Olympic White with an alder body, 22 medium jumbo frets (0.103 inches wide and 0.046 inches high), soft-C maple neck with a rose wood fret board, Fender special design dual-coil ceramic Noiseless pickups and straight-ahead five-way switching. It features Fender/Schaller Deluxe Cast/Sealed Locking Tuning Machines, American 2-Point Synchronized Tremolo with 6 Stainless Steel Saddles, a thinner C Shape Maple Neck, a contoured Heel for Easier Access to upper frets, LSR Roller Nut, aged knobs and pickup covers. And it comes with a very nice tweed case from G&G and all the usual case candy. It has a neck radius of 9.5" and the neck is slightly wider which helps keep the high E on the fret board.

metal-haze
    hey im just curious why did you guys pay so much for this guitar cause i got mine for 800 new and its not that good dont get me wrong its good but the reason why people can sell it for more then what it realy is well is because they say its jeff becks but its not that good
    Xx__benji__xX
    I really want one :/ Jeff Beck is probably the best guitarist to walk the planet in my opinion!
    Snowman388
    The question is... CAN YOU??
    john_diver
    I noticed on some pictures the JB strat has no string retainers on the headstock (as Standard strats do). Is the head slightly angled back to compensate for this
    maidenpriest69
    the bridge tone knob on this one has tone 1 through 5 for the bridge and past 5 is built in overdrve
    shwilly
    Strats typically do not have a tone knob for the bridge position. Only for the neck and middle.
    Kay, but since this one does feature tone control over the bridge pickup; which one did they sacrifice? Because this strat only has 3 knobs just like all the others, and a tone knob for the neck pickup is a must for me...
    DeathByShoe
    ArcherTheVMan wrote: "Unlike a conventional Stratocaster, the bridge pickup has it's own tone control and this is necessary at times to "tone" it down." is that strat the only one you've ever played? basically all strats are like that!
    Cobalt Blue
    yeah i actually wish more strat's had a volume knob for both pickup's so you could use it as a kill switch.. i think thats why some people remove the middle pickup.
    ArcherTheVMan
    speedylocs
    lol les paul's favorite guitarist right now is jeff beck, who plays a strat..
    Neloangelo818
    i owned the older CS model with eh lace sensor pickups and 2 singles in the bridge that were coil tapable. LSR roller nut, FATTER neck. and a heavy body. i suggest that one. its a pure tone monster and it did any style of music.
    Cobalt Blue
    I've wanted this guitar for years now. If I ever buy a strat it's going to be this one because i know a Jeff Beck would have to be versatile. I played one of the cheaper ones at a store, i didn't love it, the higher end one might be better, the one i played somehow felt a bit cheap compared to most strats ive played.
    hamish5178
    Well some sig guitars, like the Zakk Wyklde Bullseye are very obvious, and it's hard to be seen as original playing a guitar like that. However with most fenders the signatures aren't recognizable, just different. And a D-shaped neck would be like on modern Gibsons, C shaped is like a 70's fender.
    JoshD182
    whats the problem with buying signature equipment??? and how can it possibly stop you from being yourself???
    kirby92
    I totally agree with mr. .. Thats why I never buy signature guitars or equipment.
    DaBlackE
    Tvr wrote: Can anybody explain what the difference is between a C-neck or a D-neck, etc? I've never known but I'm interested!
    Never heard of a "D-neck", I've heard of C-shaped, V-shaped, 50s & 60s necks
    marktuazon
    @Tvr its basically the shape of the neck. theres like flat c-necks and stuff. just to identify what size.
    Tvr
    brewstercraven
    perfection much on the neck? i would never notice the difference! still wudnt turn one down.....
    straycat113
    This is my #1 Strat the last decade and can handle any style of playing. Even though I really dug the Hot Noiseless pups I modded this baby with a Hot Rails in the bridge and Lil 59 in the neck, got a new pick guard as I discarded the middle pup (as they interfere with my picking on Strats as well as the volume knob and pot and rewired as I live on the bridge and neck. This guitar is bult like a tank that's for sure! I get it with some guys not wanting to own a sig guitar but as already stated unless it is so identifiable like a Zack Wylde Bulls Eye finish, EVH Frankenstrat finish or 3 big SRV decals do you think 95% of your audience outside the 5% that play are going to notice any scribbled signature on your headstock. Also anyone that plays a Les Paul is playing a sig!