Jim Root Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: Jim Root Telecaster

Purchased from: Sam Ash Music

I run this through a Crate VTX212B 100W amplifier (as well as a Vox AD100VT 2X12). Effects include (in order): ISP Decimator, MXR SuperComp, Metal Muff with Top Boost, DigiTech Grunge, MXR Carbon Copy, Boss CH-1, and BBE Sonic Stomp. I run a Boss GE-7 and another ISP Decimator through the effects loop of the Crate (which is the amp I use for most high gain sounds). Guitar sounds awesome through both amps. The clean sound is amazing and the distortion is just what you'd expect from the EMGs. At low gain settings I only use the first decimator to eliminate finger noise and any microphonic sound (works like a charm w/o sucking any tone). The second decimator keeps my distorted sounds pristine.

I've been playing over 20 years. I play blues, classic rock, '80s metal, grunge/alternative, and a bit of numetal. This guitar can handle it all. I also own an Ibanez AFS75 Artcore hollowbody (awesome guitar), a highly modified Squire Affinity Stratocaster, and an Ovation 1861-LX. Amps include the aforementioned Crate and Vox amps as well as a Roland Micro Cube, Hartke AC-75, and a Kustom Quad 100W 2X12. This is my main guitar and the best I've ever owned. I actually bought it on a whim after reading a Jim Root interview! If it were lost or stolen I'd definitely replace it without blinking an eye. In fact, I'll probably pick up a second one to keep in drop D.

Spent 6 months of Live gigs w/o a hitch. Hardware seems durable. No tuning/intonation issues. Strap buttons are fine. I never gig w/o a backup regardless of the guitar I'm using, but in a pinch I would. Finish has held up so far, but I'm anal about wiping it down after use and cleaning it regularly.

Near perfect set-up, the guitar had a Standard set of 0.09s which I replaced with a set of EB regular slinkys (0.10-46). Tweaking was minimal. Intonation was dead on as was pickup adjustment. Had to tighten the input jack and tension on tuners as well as the pickup selector, but nothing major. No tension rod adjustment was required. Finish was flawless. Frets were well-dressed.

Mahogany body, maple C shape neck, ebony fingerboard, 22 Dunlop 6100 jumbo frets, EMG 60 (neck) and 81 (bridge) pickups, Fender Deluxe locking tuners, black 6-saddle HardTail bridge with string-thru body. Black hardware, master volume knob and 3-way pickup switch, flat body finish (white with black pickguard), 25.5" scale, black tweed case with red plush interior.

nick_b
    Survivalism
    Sloofus wrote: Ahem... Mick Thompson is lead guitarist for slipknot.
    Ahem...they both play lead.
    0h The Horror wrote: Fender =/= Metal. Doesn't even have a goddamn tremlo bar.
    lulz A great man once said "tremolo bars are for people who can't solo."
    Vasser
    0h The Horror wrote: Fender =/= Metal.
    Iron Maiden begs to differ
    RocknRollRay
    nope they trade leads
    rageagainst64
    hmm.. im not a fan of slipknot but i was checkin this out in a magazine. i thought it looked like a pretty good metal guitar...with the mahogany and the EMGs. tremolos arent needed. good review, btw
    Coldmystery
    Oh and one more thing, You can play metal on a stock tele... I have to say, if you absolutly HAVE to have a certain TYPE of guitar to play metal, you're doing it wrong. It's largely in the playing. I can take any stock tele and play metal on it.
    Joe4/4/1992
    Ibanez_K7-rockz wrote: I don't understand why Jim play a guitar from fender. I know, Fender guitar's are very good but I think Ibanez guitars are better metal guitars cause they look "evil". fender guitars don't look "evil"
    i dont think it matters how it looks, if it plays well and sounds good who cares?
    A-440
    nick_b wrote: 0h The Horror wrote: Fender =/= Metal. Doesn't even have a goddamn tremlo bar. For a guitar, it's a fine piece of equipment, if a bit pricey. But don't expect to play anything too complex and be satisfied at the same time. so because its got a six letter logo on it and there's no floyd rose, its an inferior guitar in your eyes?
    lmao yeah six letter guitars suck....ibanez, fender, gibson, martin, taylor...who uses six letter guitars?
    wchurchill
    but seriously what is the poiny of this guitar? get a les paul
    This guy obviously needs to play other guitars
    Mullen2105
    Smart guitarist don't use tremolo's I hate slipknot but jim root is a smart guitarist. The emg's are a little much, passive pickups are way better.
    [x]Huffy[x]
    execution_666 wrote: RocknRollRay wrote: Sloofus wrote: Ahem... Mick Thompson is lead guitarist for slipknot. nope they trade leads Even though they do, Mick is the official lead guitarist for the band.
    Wrong. Nowhere on any official Slipknot site OR on their wikipedia page does it say which one is lead. They trade.
    Jet_Black88
    slpknt21 wrote: guitar world has a description of the guitar in their latest issue. it explains things a little better than this.
    Exactly. The lack of a tone knob is lame, how can you give the features a 10 without that? I understand the reason he did without the tone knob...but I feel like it limits the versatility of the guitar. But I suppose if you're buying a guitar with EMGs, you're aiming to play one kind of music anyways.
    0h The Horror
    ultimate_sound
    Slayer have tremolo bars and abuse them( well , Kahler Bridges ) and , although they sound cool as a band , some solos sound horrible because the just pick everything very fast ... If that's " metal " for you , sorry bro...
    jblittlefield
    nutinpwnsgibson wrote: nothing against fender, but u dont take one of the least metal guitars, put EMG's in it, and then sell it as a metal guitar. well i guess thats jim root's fault. i wonder why he likes fender
    The solid mahogany body and ebony fingerboard also contribute to the sound... This beast does metal just fine.
    ibanezguitars44
    i agree with nick. you cant tell me a mahogany guitar with emgs is not going to do metal. regardless of the brand, thats a very common combination in metal
    flyingmarlin
    It's a dressed up Mexican Tele. I saw one place charging almost 800. Paying 800 for a mexican tele is shooting yourself in the foot. I'd rather use the money for a Japanese crafted one or a second hand american.
    _GoingBlind_
    such a sweet guitar, I friggin hate fender guitars, I like their basses, but this is the first Fender I was really impressed with, plays great and sounds metal. What looks MeTaL? Cuz honestly goofy bodies like on a warlock are like cheap parlor tricks to me, look how scary I am because my guiatr looks like a broken spider...thingy. Whatever to each his own. And for the record I love slipknot and SS equally.
    Popsai
    slipknot sucks but Jim's good seems like a pretty solid guitar and i look forward to trying it
    ilsacrificio
    I'm kinda disappointed that there's no tone knob, seems strange to not have one... Other than that, looks & sounds like a good, solid guitar. Good review.
    Survivalism wrote: 0h The Horror wrote: Fender =/= Metal. Doesn't even have a goddamn tremlo bar. lulz A great man once said "tremolo bars are for people who can't solo."
    +1 to the guy who said that.
    Mahoru
    ^The point? Well, you may be surprised, but some people actually prefer a Tele to a Les Paul
    lefthandman9876
    ZOMGGGGG DIS IS SOOO BRUUUUOOOOOTALZZZZ!!!!!11!1!!one!! but seriously what is the poiny of this guitar? get a les paul
    emo-rock-13
    I normally play an SG (which obviously doesn't have a trem)
    Not nesacerily because some of the SGs like the Angus Young special has one and I agree wih Oh The Horror
    tdrules
    shades, he has two of these (at least), one mainly black with white and one the other way round
    watsee
    I've played one of these in a local music shop, and it played like a dream. It seemed pretty versatile for most styles of playing too. As far as the lack of tremolo goes, it didn't really bother me because I normally play an SG (which obviously doesn't have a trem). I do have a Strat but I very rarely use the trem on that anyway. If I was perfectly honest I think putting a trem on this guitar would spoil it as it would take away the 'minimalist' feel that this guitar has.
    ShadesOfNight
    as much as this is an awesome looking guitar, and it probably plays like a beast....it does look quite out of place in the slipknot videos. a white telecaster in stone sour is fine, but for slipknot his black one fitted better.
    K!nj!
    +1 on ray
    Magero
    Such a pity.
    You fail, so hard. Good review btw.
    CrabShrapnel
    Survivalism wrote: A great man once said "tremolo bars are for people who can't solo."
    Who was that? Steve Vai?
    deryckfender
    for the guy who said that mick thompson is the lead guitarist....watch the "Psychosocial" music video and see who does the solo...
    chriscrowing
    I'm usually a Gibson player but want something a little different - the part of me that wants to grow up says Telecaster, the part that plays metal every day says Ibanez - this seems to thread the needle quite nicely. Oh, and Root & Thomson alternate leads for Slipknot and Jim Root opens out with some awesomely thick alt rokc sounds in Stone Sour anyways. If this guitar can do all that, I'm more than happy - I'm a riffmeister anyways - tremolo's are for guys with no finger strength...
    theoros1994
    this guitar is very cool , emg pickups makes the ultimate sound for metal.. But i love my dean ml 79 f and i cant change it for this fender, because i belive that solid mahagony body of my dean is better than a fender maple neck.
    Louthesnakeman
    You need a luthier to fix buzz or rattle.... and his solution was thicker strings? please find a different luthier
    jealderson1
    Reckon it would be cool to have the 85, but then something you can split to get a single coil sound in the neck, that would make it awesomely versatile.
    ovation08
    I own this guitar, bought it brand new last week. The only thing that would make this guitar better is a tone knob to tweak the sound a bit. Other than that, it feels great and sounds great for rock, metal and mellower clean tone sounds...
    LukeBTH
    nick_b wrote: 0h The Horror wrote: so because its got a six letter logo on it and there's no floyd rose, its an inferior guitar in your eyes? grow up. its a great guitar, sounds freakin' huge and looks the part with a slab body and EMG's. if you're going to be deterred because the guitar says "fender" on the head, maybe you're in the wrong game.
    Ibanez has six letters
    AudioDemon
    Kozlic wrote: would be great without EMGs
    theoros1994
    AudioDemon wrote: Kozlic wrote: would be great without EMGs I actually just bought this guitar, and having already an EC-401 With EMG's I was exploring the idea of putting different pickups on it... maybe some EMG X's
    Man i have an emg 81X on my dean ml .. 81X is like a noiseless 81.. Better bat litle diferend.. Anyway the neck of this fender is shit! Dont give money to change the pichups..
    guitoorbenchi
    Dandelion92 wrote: i like this guitar that guitar seems light or not? somebody can respond me that question plizzz (:
    In addition to this guitar, I have an: Epiphone Firebird Epiphone Thunderbird bass Squier Affinity 5 string bass Ibanez Iceman and it is heavier than all of them, though not too bad
    SG6578
    Now I'm just throwing this out there. You bought a $1000 guitar and you're talking about getting another one when you don't have a tube amp yet? I would look into one before buying another.
    1N50MN1A
    i aint a FENDER guy, Especially not for metal, but this guitar does "it" for me... i do not own one, but have played on in the store. it is a nice change from the TYPICAL IBANEZ / DEAN / JACKSON / ESP profile. i'd own one for sure, but i'd take my GIBSON OVER ALL!
    AC/DCnut
    maybe he likes fender cos hes a pro guitar player and he can choose whatever he likes for hhis style