John Mayer Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: John Mayer Stratocaster

I mainly play Slow Blues and Rock (SRV, Knopler, Hendrix, Clapton, Mayer) which this guitar nails every time. I play through are variety of amps depending on where I am. Ranging from a Line 6 Spider to a Fender Reverb all the way to a portable Roland Micro-Cube but whatever amp I'm using this Guitar sounds literally mind-blowing. It fits with my style perfectly flowing out with Slow Blues or bursting with Hendrix it still sounds amazing. The bridge pickup can have some interference with a high tone setting but that's nothing a Noise Gate couldn't cure. The sound is generally a pure, deep, full Blues sound with plenty of bass and treble but on lower end, lower wattage amps the trebles seem to get cut off a bit but I've found the problem diminished with a high wattage amp. Though I'm not sure why. Overall I love the sound of this guitar. it's perfect for my style and I'm sure it would work in a large variety of styles.

For my style of music (SRV, KNoplfer, Clapton, Hendrix, Mayer) this guitar is PERFECT! I currently Live in Dubai where we only have Yamaha Guitars and the low end Ibanez so I've previously only used High End Yamaha's but I've borrowed many of my friends Gibsons and Strats they've brought overseas. I've finally managed to buy one in the US to bring back home. My previous guitars were an Ibanex RGX and a Yamha AES420 plus a Hand-Made Custon Acousitc GUitar. Everything I could ever want in a guitar I have in this Guitar. If it were stolen or I lost it I would immediately go and buy this exact same guitar. Overall, I love this guitar. I have a friend who's been playing guitars for over 20 years and when he saw and played this guitar he also fell in love with it and has been trying to find one to buy. I love this Guitar. It's perfect for blues and rock.

The quality of this guitar is superb. I'll happily use this guitar for gigging and after playing for hours standing and throwing the guitar around the strap has never slipped off. I'll happily use this Guitar for gigging. The finish is Solid and like most strats will probably last for a life time.

I can't be sure on the factory setup of this guitar as the guys at Guitar Center had adjusted and set it up before I brought it. So my votes out. I found no flaws in any of the construction of the guitar. None! Looks like the quality control on this guitar was of very high standards

I managed to buy the Limited Edition Version of this guitar in the Cypress Mica finish (limited to 500 pieces) for $1800 at Guitar Center. I walked in and fell in love with this Guitar. Every time I tried to play another one I immediately went back to this one. The features appear to be the same as the other John Mayer Strats the only difference being the finish.

dawidkarl
    Let me say something I own a JM in sunburst too. It is really the best Strat i ever owned and i wont sell it. This is a guitar for live. I own and owned lots of Strats. MIM, Eric Clapton, American Std and Deluxe. For the time i have the JM, i never touched one of the others.... For Sure, im a Fan of JM, but this Guitar will please all other stuff too. About the setup: Mine came with a higher action too. I read a lot of comments BEFORE buying and i wrote an Email to Fender to get Informatiuon bout this: It is not a bad work. Its Mayers Specification. He plays all of his Strats in a little higher action specially because the Dunlop Frets are a bit higher. And i think - for any Guitarist who is a real Guitarist and loves his instruments, it wont be a problem, to change the setup. Thats what makes all the thing that cool right? To work with and on your Guitar. But Thank You all for your comments, everybody has his own opinion. Just want to tell, that Fender does a good job here...