Koa Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Koa Stratocaster

Purchased from: Feedback Rotterdam

I often play Metallica. Also some heavy metal. Stuff like that. On all genres it sounds great. I'm using a Fender FM65R amp. I also have got a Zoom multi effect pedal with it. It all sounds great. All effects sound beatiful. If you have a kind of noise reduction option on your pedal I should use that because it's not total noise-free. It has a nice tremolo which look a little bit like a Floyd Rose without the locking system. Like I said before it can play any genre.

I play metal, heavy metal. It is a good match but if there was a Seymour Duncan humbucker on it it would be greater than it is now. I would really buy this guitar again because it's such great quality. I did compare it to many guitars at the store I bought it from. I tested 'em all but this one sounded the best. It would be better with a humbucker on the bridge.

It will withstand live playing because it's made of really good hardwood. I do the most crazy tricks with it. It is made of very strong metals. You really can depend on this guitar. It sounds great at high volume. I never had any holes in the finish or something like that

My guitar teacher had to set-up it a little bit cause the action was not to great. The pickups were very well adjusted. I had no other problems with it. Everything was really good except the points I wrote about above. The tremolo was good. The fretboard was nice polished. Nice smooth frets on it.

The guitar was made for the first time in 2006. This guitar was made in Korea. It has got 22 medium jumbo frets. It has a solid top. The body is made of American basswood. The neck is made of maple. The guitar has a polyurethane finish. It's a Strat. It has a 2-point synchronized tremolo. It has got active electronics. There is a volume knob, a tone knob for the neck pickup and a tone knob for both the middle and bridge pickup. It has 3 single coil high quality Seymour Duncan pickups on it. The tuners are non-locking, Grover. I bought it. They were so friendly to give me a gig bag with it.

EpiSG1987
    nice guitar, but if i paid more then $1000 for anything, it would never get played, only autographed
    P-Bass Pirate
    [quote]PerpetualBurn wrote: Jari Maenpaa plays a Telecaster. Anyone doubt his metal abilities?
    [/qu ote] +1
    exodus2988
    I just found one of these about a month ago used and bought it for $500. First off, it is a basswood body with a koa top on it. Second, it definitely needs noise reduc if used with distortion, but it is amazing for blues and classic rock with overdrive as long as the gain isn't too high. Third, definitely not a metal guitar, I play just about everything and this is my main blues guitar, i use a schecter with emg's for metal, and a les paul for just about everything else.
    !BEN!
    If thats a fender KOA strat then its not a basswood body.. i have one and im pretty sure of that
    brown_munkey
    pls check seymour duncan website and the rating of the pick-ups for it... its a great guitar but needs noiz reduction set-ups if used with distortion
    guyalexanderr
    lol at 0.21 you can blatently see its got a single coil
    Dylan Greive
    sry people im just not so good in english because i'm dutch. my apologies for this
    lmgoodwi
    ok, first off, this guitar is $700 at Musicians Friend. Second, I have a SSS MIM Strat that I put SCNs in, and they are way hotter than the standards. I can get heavy enough distortion with a BOSS MT-2 to handle any metal tone. The only thing about playing metal on a Strat is that you can't get rid of that twangy, hollow Strat sound. Iron Maiden played and recorded on Strats and they are the greatest metal band ever. But Dylan, your review is not very good.
    Riffer_maddness
    the only thing about single coils is obvosiuly the hum and that u have to have good OD or distortion to get full soudning harmonics and this guy said it was active electronics either i never paid attention or he has no idea about them
    fadedgrim
    [/qu ote] im fairly sure his tele has a humbucker in it, so you're wrong. Single coil pickups don't provide the crunch.
    Shread_6009
    btw all the guys from iron maiden, john 5, jim root and toni ioommi( at the start of sabbaths career) used single coiled strats. it makes no difference.
    kanarf
    lol...
    Mungus
    This review does still make a few good points, despite the questionable bits. The Seymour Duncans included are very versatile, allowing for a nice, full clean sounds for chords, and still holds its own while distorted. I paid about $650 for mine at Guitar Center, after haggling with the salesman for a bit, and managed to get it set up by one of the techs who was in the store. My one problem with this guitar is the floating trem. It's very easy to bump the trem if you have large hands like mine while palm muting, and it doesn't take much to knock it out of tune this way. However, if you dont palm mute, or if you add another spring into the bridge, you should be alright. Overall, I love this guitar. Sorry for the long comment, but hopefully this will help you guys out, without writing another review.
    CustomCustom
    with the Koa woodgrain top, the nice sunburst which I dont quite see the same on any other strat and the mop pickgaurd, I think its one of the best looking strats out now. The bigger fretwire and flatter radius feel better than standard strats to me as well.
    Strat = Love
    I lost faith in this review when he said a strats vintage trem is like a floyd rose without the locking things on it.
    CJRocker
    FYI, I don't know what that currency is, if it's Euros or what, but $1045 American for one of those over in Europe is par for the course. Rotterdam is in some European country but the name escapes me atm. I have a Koa Tele and play metal on it; you can play metal on anything, so you people whining about that need a nice dose of STFU. Judas Priest played metal on single coil Strats for years, among others. That said, I am not entirely sure if the reviewer really knows what he is talking about too, bu tI am unsure if it's actually that or he doesn't knwo english very well.
    alex lifeson7
    yeah, this review isnt that great. FIrst, he plays metal with all single coil pickups. that doesnt make sense to me lol. still seems like a nice guitar tho, just not for metal...
    zoomzoom
    dude that thing must be noisy as hell, you dont buy a fender to play metal you buy a f***n esp or jackson or an ibanez or something...
    Sonny_sam
    tbh I wouldnt trust this review, do you actually know what your talking about at all?
    Mr.Cuddles
    you used it through a oom pedal, that makes it sound the same as any other guitar, so this review was kinda iffy...