Lite Ash Telecaster review by Fender

Fender: Lite Ash Telecaster

This guitar is best for blues and country, but can be used for other genres as well. The guitar always gives off a slight background hum, which is normal for singlecoils, but with my guitar it seems like it's too much even for singlecoils, maybe it's due to some sketchy wiring. The neck pickup delivers a nice full sound, while the bridge gives off that signature Telecaster sound; bright and twangy. The pickups are great, and very versatile; therefore sound gets a 5.

A really good medium to high end guitar, is up there besides the American Telecaster in quality. If you want a Telecaster, and you are not obscenely rich or extremly poor, this is the way to go. This guitar beats the hell out of the Mexican Telecaster.

The action was crap. Every string had buzz, so I had to raise all of them up slightly. The finish on the neck and body were flawless, but the neck did have some minor faults. One of the inlays was not properly placed, making the fret in question not perfectly smooth (this was only the case with one out of ten inlays, and it is barely noticable: can only be felt when the guitar is not strung, and can only be seen when the light hits from a specific angle, which does not make this such a big deal). A side inlay was placed slighly off-centre, and other was sort of 'smudged' out (hard to explain. Inside the cutaway there are two small dents in the wood, underneath the finish, which is also very hard to notice. Due to the horrible action and the minor flaws, I give it a 3.

This special edition guitar is light in weight and heavy in tone thanks to its exceptional light ash body, birdseye maple neck and fingerboard, and Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro2 staggered pickups. - Body: Light Ash - Bridge/tremolo: Vintage style chrome with 3 brass barrel saddles - Controls: master volume, master tone - Fingerboard: maple - Frets: 22 medium jumbo frets - Inlays: abalone dot position inlays - Neck material: Bird's Eye maple - Pickups: Seymour Duncan - APTR-1 Alnico Pro2 (Neck), APTL-1 Alnico Pro2 (Bridge) - Scale: 25 1/2" - Hardware: chrome.

RodrigoFerreira
    What is the best guitar? - Fender Standard Telecaster (MEXICO); - Fender Special Ed. Lite Ash Telecaster ????
    MetzBlaze
    I have owned one for the last 2 years (Purchaced brand new from a local music store) and I like it except for a few reasons. 1. The frets (At least on mine) are totally shit. They have wear markes, VERY sharp/rough edges and deep gouges in them from above the 7th fret. And 2.The action is VERY high(I know how to adjust the intonation but it just won't go any lower). If you know any way to fix the frets or want to ask me a question PM me.
    Scum_PunkRocker
    Not suited to metal? what the **** are you talking about. Have you ever HEARD Sepultura? On their lastest tour the guitarist has been using a stock Big Block Tele. People don't realize that Teles, like strats, can do ANYTHING. (except Teles can go brighter than strats without mod and have a sweet ring to the top end with a thick and firm bottom)
    Strongbow
    a couple of the reviewers said they were set up problems, im thinking of buying one would that be repairable in a shop? It saves me sending it back if that was the case. Thanks guys.
    DevinRoss
    The Lite Ash is the third Telecaster I currently own. To be honest I love this guitar, it makes the American Tele sound like crap. The bird's eye maple neck is beautiful, fast and the frets are good. The lite ash Tele is a mix of the old and new, the Seymour Duncan pickups are virtually noiseless, the old style bridge with three brass saddles gives that old skool look and sustain 'til the cows come home. This guitar has become my main axe, you can play it for hours and not even worry about tuning, (I played for four hours last night, tuned down to drop d for a few songs then back to standard). It works well for every kind of music from Blues to Metal then to Country. I replaced the strings with Ernie Ball 10's before it even left the store. Fit and finish is great, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat I had to. I would recommend to try a few out as I found that tone differed greatly from guitar to guitar, I tried three Lite Ash Tele's, all different finishes and the black one had the nicest sound of the three to me. I doubt the finish had anything to do with it, I preferred the vintage white (looked like a Nocaster from the 50's).
    Coldmystery
    THIS GUITAR IS MY CURRENTLY MY FAV. I can play everything i want to on it. It makes the metal stuff and the country stuff sound friggin sweet. The metal stuff is clear and heavy. My favorite guitar that i own.
    gerardwayne
    I have an american tele with a natural ash body and a white pickguard (factory). Haven't seen one the same anywhere else, except in the music video for Snow Patrol's "Spitting Games." Anyways, it was bought for me new by my brother, and I love it to bits, but for my first American Fender, I've had nothing but trouble with it. Originally I mainly used the neck pu, but it mysteriously stopped working. Checked wiring, couldn't see a problem, brought it back to shop, worked fine again, got it home, never worked since - even though the wiring is perfect! Told the shop, the said it was fine when they saw it and couldn't do any more for me. Wtf? I never had anything like this trouble with any of my MIM or CIJ Fenders... So now I just use the bridge pu, but have it tilted so that the first strings are further away from the pu than the last, so that less treble comes thro in signal. Sounds ok, but now I don't have the jingle-jangle I need when I want it, and still don't quite have the subtle growl of the neck pup. Also, the finish isn't exactly top notch. The clear laquer chips very easily, and once it chips a little, it seems to spread like crazy. Again, my MIM and CIJ's held up much better over the years on this front than this supposedly superior American model. Also, unlike my other fenders, this American tele's volume and tone knobs feel kinda crappy, like they were put on by two different guys or something. The Volume is really loose and turns real easy, but the tone is very stiff. It's just a minor thing, I know, but you think there'd be some sort of continuity in a guitar that cost well over 1,000. I'd sell it, but the broken (and seemingly unfixable, without replacing) neck pu would dampen the resale value, and it looks real nice, I suppose. If it wasn't such a strange looking tele, or would be easily replaced, I'd have ditched it long ago. Then again, I wouldn't want to hurt my brother's feelings...
    Danhyde
    I have just recently bought my Fender Lite Ash and i love it! The action is great and the natural finish is sexy indeed. The Seymour Duncan pickups are suited to any style, i mean i play a lot of Hendrix and Vaughn style guitar while playing Maiden and Metallica, and the tone is well suited. The neck does show a little wear, however this comes off. I sold my mexican for this guitar and i dont regret it at all. this is my main axe atm, i have a tokai les paul and an esp and the tele is my favourite, im deffo a fender guy