Mexican Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Mexican Stratocaster

Purchased from: Peachtree Music

I didn't like the standard strings so I put some DR "blues" on, they really enhanced the sound. I play thru a Crate Blue Vodoo 120H tube head with a 2-12 cabinet and a crybaby wah.I have to play with the toggle Switch to get all the ear piercing high end out. It has a great blues sound and when I Switch to distortion it has the same sound as Hendrix or any other band of that era. I play a wide variety of music and it maches all of them.

I play Southern Rock, Kiss, Metallica, Hendrix, Eagles, Bob Seager and just a wide variety of other music and it hangs right with all of it. I have 5 other guitars a 69 Gibson ES 340TD, a 02 Peavey accoustic, a 87 Jackson RR Flying V, a 04 Jackson Dinky, a 81 Kramer but the first guitar I pick up is my Fender. I love the feel and sound I get out of it with my tube amp. I wish it was set up better from the factory like my Jackson Dinky was. I compared it to the American Strat before I bought it and there was not a big differance except the price as far as the playability was concerned.

I can't see this guitar giving you too much trouble playing it every night if you are on the road. I would always keep a spare no matter what guitar I was playing.

The guitar action needs to be a little lower and the pick-ups are a little low for my taste. I would have it set up to your own taste as soon as you bought it. That way it will play like you want it to and not the way Fender says it should. It also need more springs on the tremelo to hold it in place.

I bought a 2004 Sunburst Mexistrat. It has 21 frets 5 way selector with a mable neck and 3 single coil pick ups. It has all standard features.