Mexican Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Mexican Stratocaster

Purchased from: Musikverkstan

I bought this Strat mainly for bluesy rock leads (think Waters/Gilmour), and it just sounds distinctly like a Strat. I wouldn't buy this guitar for playing death metal - remember, no humbuckers here - but presumably you buy a Strat because you like the classic Strat sound(s), and this guitar sounds awesome. The Standard Strat was a bit louder, but didn't have that distinct Strat sound that I was looking for. I haven't heard any Strats produce a Fender sound this distinct outside of American Strats that cost thousands of dollars. I say, if you're gonna buy a Mexican Strat, spend a few bob more and get this model. It's well worth it. (This one was on sale, so I dunno how much it usually costs, but I presume the Swedish "on-sale" price is more than the regular US price). The Mexican Standard is a guitar - the Mexican Classic '60s Strat is a Strat. The tone is quite versatile, too - the 5-way Switch and the volume and tone knobs can coax quite a few sounds out of this one. Oh, and the clean sounds (no distortion) are amazing. I play this through an old trusty Fender Princeton Chorus combo (a two-speaker combo amp).

This guitar just sounds and looks great. I'm head over heels in love with it already. It's a Strat with a capital S. Again, keep in mind that this is a rock/blues guitar and it's not really suited for playing metal rhythm guitar. But I wouldn't put a humbucker in this baby - this is a tone you just don't f--k with.

Reliability & durability - well, I expect it to last, given that it wasn't exactly cheap. I put my old Jap Strat through hell for years, and it was sturdy and could take (and took) quite a few beatings, so I expect the same of this one. I trust Fender to make reliable stuff.

Action, fit & finish: all very nice. A slight, slight dent/scratch on one fret, but you get five of those within a year of gigging. This guitar looks and feels great.

This is a "Classic '60s" model Mexican Strat. Black w/white pickguard, lacquered neck, rosewood fretboard, "Original Contour Body" on the headstock. Stock single-coil pickups, 5-way selector, Fender 250s strings. I took home a Mexican Standard Strat as well, to compare with. (The "Classic '60s" model was around (the equivalent of) 750 USD, whereas the Standard Strat cost 600 bucks - Sweden is notoriously pricey). The Standard Strat has a flatter fretboard, and the neck's got a rougher finish - not quite the smooth feel of the Classic '60s Strat.