Mexican Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Mexican Stratocaster

Purchased from: Unisound

I mostly play rock/blues/punk. At the moment I use it with a Fender Princeton 112+ amplifier and it sounds pretty good however I want to get a good valve amp and really hear it sing. The guitar is quite noisy when a single pickup is selected rather than two at a time, but this is largely to do with the amp and the fact that they're not humbuckers. It has great tone ranging from very nice bassy sounds to great top end treble screams. The harmonics on this guitar are amazingly easy to create and it sounds absoloutely superb, it more than makes up for any amount of noise it creates.

I play Rock/Blues/Punk and occasionally some various finger picking styles and this guitar suits all of them perfectly. my guitar teacher has played jazz and country on it and it sounds great, such a versatile guitar I have never come across, I have been playing for two years, my first guitar was a Squier Stratocaster and it sounded awful and played terribly, I now have a Jackson JSX-600 which needs some work to the frets and tremelo if I am to continue playing it, I have a Gibson/Epiphone Flying Vee and my Fender, the Fender is easily the most versatile of the guitars (those are just my electrics) and if it were stolen I'd find the guitar who stole it and smash his face in with my MD-2 and insert the pointed end of my Jackson where it hurts. I love the way this guitar plays SO much and it just gives great natural and pinched harmonics, the string tension is good and it plays well in Eb too, this guitar is the nicest guitar I have ever played and until I have one designed for myself this will probably remain my favourite, ontop of all of that the Maple neck is SO smooth its a joy to play 10/10 all the way.

The guitar has been played live about 5 times and nothing has gone wrong. The hardware is fine the only thing I am worried about is the tremelo arm but I dont remove it so it is fine, I don't know anyone else that has had this problem so I'm assuming its pretty close to a one off. I had the strap buttons replaced with schaller strap-locks because the Fender strap I purchased seperately was utter crap, they do occasionally come loose if I shake the guitar around excessively but never loose enough to warrant worry and its very easily fixed with nothing more than a phillips head screwdriver. The tremelo (disregarding tread issues) is fantastic the guitar has never gone out of tune just because I've used to tremelo (like many other tremelo fitted guitars I have played do so) even though the nut doesn't lock! The tuners hold fine the controls are great this guitar has been accidentally dropped several times but playing wise remains fine. The finish has got a few chips where afformentioned drops have very slightly damaged it but they are hardly noticeable and the body hasnt actually lost any paint due to rubbing or anything else. I've had this guitar for a year and I'm confident enough to say this guitar will last.

The guitar was set up very nicely when I recieved it however after some weather changes the truss rod did move out slightly and my guitar teacher had to correct that but otherwise its almost 100% reliable. I have personally changed the pickup height to suit my playing style but the standard height was very good. The guitar has no flaws, the only things that have ever gone wrong are the truss rod moving out (due to weather changes) and the thread on the tremelo arm is possibly out by several microns in places which causes the tremelo to suffer very slightly but as long as you dont remove it every day it is fine. All the controls do exactly what they're supposed to do.