Mexican Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Mexican Stratocaster

I play a lot of different styles, blues, classic rock, rock, hard rock, a little metal, thats about it. It plays blues and some classic rock very well, but the pick ups are just really weak and hum a little at high volume. suits my style ok. I use mostly a Marshall MG100DFX with a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal and a Dunlop Original Crybaby wah wah pedal. It sounds really good, like a Hendrix sound if you put the wah wah after distortion. It's noisy at high volume like I said. It has a twangy type of sound but really nice when its clean. Sort of a deep, bright, hollowish sound. I get some pretty good sounds out of it but it doesn't sound as good as American made Strats.

Again, I play mostly classic rock, hard rock, some metal and blues. This guitar is not really for heavy stuff at all but blues and classic rock it matches up well. I have been playing for about a little less than 2 years. I also have a Fender Frontman Reverb amp (30watt). And I have a black 1992 Gibson LP Standard with a Duncan JB humbucker in the bridge. And 2 Peavey Wolfgang copies in EVH red, black, and white colors. And an Ibanez GAX70. If my Strat was stolen I would definitely try and get it back. I would probly buy an american one instead though. or one with H/S/S pickup configuration. I hate the pickups with a passion but everything else is cool with me. I got this guitar as a gift so I didn't compare it to anything else, but I wish it had a better tremelo, humbucker, and or one of those polished maple necks b/c they're so smooth.

Yea, it could most likely withstand live playing. Not that I would actually use it to play live since it sounds crappy, but yea it could last. The hardware is all fine, except the pick ups are way too weak. I would change those and that's about it. The strap buttons work fine, they feel solid unless your flinging the guitar around. I would not gig this without a backup but it is definetley dependable. The finish seems pretty good, I like it. It has shown no signs of wear and I have had it for about 2 and a half years.

The action was a little high at first with guage 9's, but I slapped on some guage 10 strings and it was better. overall it was pretty good, the tremelo was kinda tilted up, so you couldn't really do big dives or anything, but it was good. Pickups were fine, just not very high output or anything, mediocre. No apparent flaws, everything was good. The metal on the exposed pickups kind of like come off a little after a while, but nothing serious. The input jack was a little loose, but I tightened it. everything else was in good condition.

Not exactly sure what year, I'm guessing early to mid '90s. Mexican made Fender Stratocaster. Standard 21 jumbo frets. rosewood fretboard, I'm pretty sure. I'm guessing alder wood for the body and maple for the neck. Black with a whie pickguard. Fender tremelo. The 2 tones and 1 vol. 5-way selector. 3 single coils. Fender non locking tuners. Regular Stratocaster body.