Mexican Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Mexican Stratocaster

Purchased from: PMT, Southend

I play classic rock mainly, I'm a Gibson person through an through, but I joined a band recently and the songs were all written and recorded with strats by the previous guitarist. A couple of the songs we play don't quite sound right with my SG's so I've bought this, plus I've always wanted a half decent strat. I used it the other night at rehersals and played it through my Marshall jcm800. I don't use loads of effects mainly Chorus, Wah and a Compressor/Sustainer. Wasn't as loud as my SG Classic on the night, when I plugged the Strat in after using my SG, I had to turn the volume up slightly. The guitar has a varied tone range using the 5 settings for the Pickups, I was pleasently supprised.

Overall this guitar suits my style really well but I still prefer my SG's, I've been playing for 26 years and never really liked Strats until I played a friends US 62 re-issue, I've always liked the unique sound they produce though. If it were lost or stolen I think I would eventualy replace it. I love the finish on the guitar and the feel when playing, I liked the feel of this better than the US Strat the sales person suggested, I hate the fret access (that's why my other guitars are SG's LOL), I also had to get used to not hitting the selector Switch and changing the pickups whilst playing, was a bit annoying at first but I've got usd to it now.

Everything on this guitar seems really solid and it looks like it could really withstand a lot of abuse, not that I would do that to a guitar. As for using it at a gig without a backup, I don't really like gigging without a backup. But I don't know if I could trust it to stay in tune throughout a whole set. My SG's can last a whole night without me having to tune the guitar at all. I don't think I could get away with that with this guitar. The finish on this guitar is excellent.

The guitar was set up very well. I played various other Strats and this was the one I liked the feel of the best. I even tried some US strats and the necks felt horrible compared to this one. The only thing I noticed while playing the guitar in the shop was that the slightest use of the whammy bar and the gutar would go out of tune but I suppose that expected of a new guitar with new strings and also the fact that strats don't have locking nuts. When I got the guitar home I put some graphite in the grooves of the nut to stop the strings sticking when tuning up, this helped stabalize the tuning when using the wammy. On the night of rehersals with my band I really abused the wammy and it stayed in tune really well. I really can't find any other floors apart from that.

As I purchased this guitar new, I haven't checked the year but I assume it's 2010 or 2009. Specs Below. Model Name 70s Stratocaster Series Classic Series Colour Natural, (Polyester Finish) Body Ash Neck Maple, U Shape, (Gloss Polyurethane Finish) Fingerboard Rosewood (p/n 013-7000) or Maple (p/n 013-7002), 7.25in Radius (184mm) No. of Frets 21 Vintage Style Frets Pickups 3 Vintage Style Single-Coil Strat Pickups with Alnico Magnets Controls Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 2. (Middle Pickup) Pickup Switching 5-Position Blade Bridge Vintage Style Synchronized Tremolo Machine Heads Fender/Schaller Vintage F Style Tuning Machines Hardware Chrome Pickguard 3-Ply White Scale Length 25.5in (648 mm) Width at Nut 1.650in (42 mm) Unique Features U Shape Maple Neck, Large Headstock, 70s Style Decal, Bullet Truss Rod Adjustment Nut, 3-Bolt Neck Plate with Micro-Tilt Neck Adjustment, Synthetic Bone Nut Came with a gig bag and I got a stand and strap for cost price with the guitar.