Mexican Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Mexican Stratocaster

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

It suits my music style of when I bought it down to a tee. I play indie/punk and it suits it perfectly. It is a very twangy cleaner sound than most other guitars which is typical fender. Very bright and it can make all sounds, the only thing I would say is that it is not a heavy metal prog rock kind of sound, however it does suit effects as I run it through Boss od-3 and a electro harmonix big muff, both with overdrive and distortion, it sounds fine, and not too pedally, but with a natural distorted sound, so works well with pedals!

I play Indie kind of punk and rock n roll, it plays fine, after all most of the greats have played strats at one point or another! I've been playing for about 4 years, and it was the first 'high end' or good quality long lasting electric guitar I have owned, I play through various amps, and it plays fine through everything! I love the ease of playing it, and it makes you sound good! If I lost it, I would DEFINITELY buy another one, I think my next guitar will be a Gretsch, purely for the fact I need a little more punch as I am soon playing a Beatles day, but I will still play the Strat on some numbers! I compared it to others, nothing compares to the great price and great quality you get out of it, with many years in it, I hope to be playing it in many years to come! :)

I have used the guitar live, and it is lasting well! I good strong strap is being used and hasn't come off once since I have used the guitar, which is over a year now, the first ever gig I used it for was without a back up and it stood up and outplayed the epiphone's and Yamaha super fighter it was against, and sounded better! On one gig, the low e string went horribly out of tune randomly during a song, which hasn't happened since or after that one time! So I can't honestly say what happened, probably an old song, but the strings are viable to break if using a tremolo so if you don't have a back up be wary of the tremolo!

It was set up very well, the strings were at the right height, and not too close to the fretboard, and all well layed out, with lovely Fender strings on it giving it a rich sound.the pickups were perfectly fine, no adjusting needed! The one flaw I will state, is that the d string repeatedly snapped, now whether that was the tremolo or frets fault, I do not know, but after a few times, I found the solution of using Ernie Ball super slinkys instead of Fender strings, because they are more durable than the fender, on a tremolo especially. The controls were fine, but the only thing was getting the plastic cover off, it kept sticking! didn't want to come off!

Made the year I bought it, so 2009, in Mexico, 22 jumbo frets on a maple neck, solid top, I love the feel of the thing, and the body. Typical bridge for a tremolo on the strat, no problems there, even the tremolo arm doesn't make it lose tune, an excellent feature. 5 way selector, two tones and a master volume, very easy to use. I got it was a Fender case, which does the job and protects it at school too!