Mexican Stratocaster review by Fender

Fender: Mexican Stratocaster

I play jazz, gospel and fusion, mainly instrumental music. I had heard some bad things about the MIM strats, I was really suprised at the tone, and I am a tone nut. Nice response from the PU's, wide range of tones, I've always said the Strat is the most versatile guitar ever made, For jazz I use the heck PU and roll the tone off, good jazz sound.

I'm 55 years old, and have been playing since I was 9 years old. My second electric guitar was a Strat, 1972. Over the years I've owned 6 Fender Strats and built 3. The nicest one was a home build about 10 years ago, which I sold for 350 bucks. I have a friend that owns 7 Strats, he agrees with me, the MIM's are a fine guitar. I lucked out when I got this for free.

Haven't had the guitar six months, but knowing Fenders construction methods, I should be able to play this for years. I'm hoping the finish will wear so it will become even more relic looking. I think the road worn and closet classic Strats really look and sound great.

The friend that gave the guitar to me didn't have anything special done, and it is probably the best playing Strat I've ever owned.I just slapped a new set of strings, tweaked the truss rod slightly and wow. Intonation was perfect, I aged the body, hardware and plastic parts, so it looks cool.

2002. 21 frets, maple fretboard, not my favorite wood, I prefer rosewood or ebony, but I got it free, Standard pickup config. I've owned several Strats in my 46 years of playing. This one has all the Standard stuff. Nice color, I believe it is called Midnight Wine or Burgundy Mist.